Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • 74leeboy
    • By 74leeboy 11th Sep 17, 6:20 PM
    • 11Posts
    • 2Thanks
    74leeboy
    Council tax and bankruptcy.
    • 11th Sep 17, 6:20 PM
    Council tax and bankruptcy. 11th Sep 17 at 6:20 PM
    Hi. I was made bankrupt at the beginning of august and I'm the only one working in my household. My wife isn't working at the moment. My question is do I have to pay the full council tax (. £164/ mth) or is it written off for the rest of the tax year. If it is written off do I have to contact the council tax offfices. Thanks and I hope this makes sense.
Page 1
    • Rags2riches
    • By Rags2riches 11th Sep 17, 7:03 PM
    • 42 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    Rags2riches
    • 11th Sep 17, 7:03 PM
    • 11th Sep 17, 7:03 PM
    legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1992/613/contents/made

Insolvency 49

(1) Where a liability order has been made and the debtor against whom it was made is an individual, the amount due shall be deemed to be a debt for the purposes of section 267 of the Insolvency Act 1986(1) (grounds of creditor’s petition).
    (2) Where a liability order has been made and the debtor against whom it was made is a company, the amount due shall be deemed to be a debt for the purposes of section 122(1)(f) (winding up of companies by the court) or, as the case may be, section 221(5)(b) (winding up of unregistered companies) of that Act.
    (3) For the purposes of this regulation the amount due is an amount equal to any outstanding sum which is or forms part of the amount in respect of which the liability order was made.

Council tax is a joint a several liability I believe they could pursue your wife.
    Last edited by Rags2riches; 11-09-2017 at 7:09 PM.
    • debt doctor
    • By debt doctor 11th Sep 17, 8:01 PM
    • 4,161 Posts
    • 5,827 Thanks
    debt doctor
    • 11th Sep 17, 8:01 PM
    • 11th Sep 17, 8:01 PM

Council tax is a joint a several liability I believe they could pursue your wife.
    Originally posted by Rags2riches
    They certainly can. So, as you say, the bankrupts liability ill be written off for this financial year but 100% liability will remain for the wife.
    The council tax still needs to feature in the SOA.
    DD
    Debt Doctor, Debt caseworker, Citizens' Advice Bureau .
    Impartial debt advice services: Citizens Advice Bureau Find your local CAB *** National Debtline - Tel: 0808 808 4000*** BSC No. 100 ***
    • Singlemumm
    • By Singlemumm 15th Nov 17, 5:07 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Singlemumm
    • 15th Nov 17, 5:07 PM
    • 15th Nov 17, 5:07 PM
    Hi there,

I cannot understand how this works.
    I am bankrupt.Coucil tax I paying in equal parts with other tenant,we are sharing the house.
    CT is paying by Direct debit from other tenant account and my part I am paying to him.
    OR wants that I will pay to him and whats ten?
    for whole amount will be responsible other tenant?it does not make sense,because I have to pay to him.so in this case I will pay twice??
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,124Posts Today

4,823Users online

Martin's Twitter