Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Weasel17
    • By Weasel17 11th Sep 17, 6:07 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Weasel17
    Car insurance after Fleet car and no claims bonus
    • 11th Sep 17, 6:07 PM
    Car insurance after Fleet car and no claims bonus 11th Sep 17 at 6:07 PM
    Hi, I have had fleet cars with the NHS for the past 5 years.
    A fleet car is a salary sacrifice scheme, so the money for car hire is taken straight out your wages before tax is calculated. the car goes back to the company after the 3 year lease. For the period of the lease you are trapped in your job with that trust. Even if you move to a different NHS trust you can not take the car with you, as a different NHS trust might use a different fleet company.
    The car hire includes insurance and breakdown cover, servicing etc. It is a complete package.
    However I have changed jobs and thus had to give back the car. This has meant I have had to pay a penalty of £370 as I stopped the lease early, in it's 2nd year.
    Now I have got a new car that I have bought and my insurance is through the roof. I had the best quote from Sheila's wheels. I phoned up to ask them if they would accept letters from the fleet companies that proved I had not had any accidents or made any claims. I spoke to an agent who said it would be fine as long as I had those letters, so on this information I set up my insurance with them. I duly phoned them back today, sent the letters through and a different agent said that they would not accept them as proof of no claims. I have raised a complaint with the company as they gave me the wrong information and sold me the insurance under false pretenses. Because Sheila's wheels are now my most recent last insurer and won't give me no claims then I can't approach anyone else as each insurer looks at what the last company did.
    I am very frustrated. I have 6 years of driving with no accidents or claims, and I have letters to prove it but they won't accept it!!!
    Are they allowed to not accept it?
    Who should I raise this with?
    Thank you
Page 1
    • rs65
    • By rs65 11th Sep 17, 7:06 PM
    • 5,279 Posts
    • 2,505 Thanks
    rs65
    • 11th Sep 17, 7:06 PM
    • 11th Sep 17, 7:06 PM
    Are they allowed to not accept it?
    Who should I raise this with?
    Thank you
    Originally posted by Weasel17
    You raise a complaint which you have done.

When you got the quote, presumably you declared 6 years but did it ask if it was earned on a private car, company car etc.? How did you answer?

Their FAQs say that they accept proof of NCB or letter from your previous insurer. No mention of proof from a fleet company. Hopefully your complaint will show that they told you incorrectly and will honour it.
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 11th Sep 17, 9:28 PM
    • 33,291 Posts
    • 17,220 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 11th Sep 17, 9:28 PM
    • 11th Sep 17, 9:28 PM
    ...... I phoned up to ask them if they would accept letters from the fleet companies that proved I had not had any accidents or made any claims. I spoke to an agent who said it would be fine as long as I had those letters, so on this information I set up my insurance with them. I duly phoned them back today, sent the letters through and a different agent said that they would not accept them as proof of no claims. .....
    Originally posted by Weasel17
    You asked if they would accept letters to prove you were accident and claim free whilst driving (the equivalent of) a hire car.

You now seem to be saying they should accept these letters to prove you have earned No Claims Discount which is entirely different to proving your driving history!

NCD and a claim/accident free history are two different items altogether
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

15Posts Today

4,362Users online

Martin's Twitter