Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Muscle750
    • By Muscle750 11th Sep 17, 6:04 PM
    • 888Posts
    • 270Thanks
    Muscle750
    LGPS statement wrong
    • 11th Sep 17, 6:04 PM
    LGPS statement wrong 11th Sep 17 at 6:04 PM
    My wife has been employed by the council from 1996 to now and has been in three different postions in that time . On her last statement it says the following
    1/80ths 6 years and 79 days
    1/60ths 4 years and 215 days
    CARE 2 years and 275 days

In total this adds up to approx 13.5 years
    However she has been employed from 1996 21 years
    She has contacted the pension dept and they have clarified she started with them in 1996 yet could offer no reason as why the difference in length of service etc. Infact they couldnt put the phone down quick enough. She has now emailed them asking for a full explanation.
    One question thou is after leaving her last job and has now started a new one with a 5 month break between the two. She has had to start her pension from start so to speak. She is now earning half of what she was in her last job. She is 54 years old. She has been given the option to combine the pensions into one pot so to speak as far as i can understand or leave them as they are. My concern is that now she is earning far less any bad move on the combining the pots etc could be quite serious. Ive suggested she sees a IFA.
Page 1
    • Silvertabby
    • By Silvertabby 11th Sep 17, 6:11 PM
    • 1,778 Posts
    • 2,149 Thanks
    Silvertabby
    • 11th Sep 17, 6:11 PM
    • 11th Sep 17, 6:11 PM
    Has she ever worked part time? If so, her pre 2014 service will be condensed into whole time pensionable service.

For example, if she worked 18.5 hours per week for 2 years then she would have 2 years calendar service, but 1 year pensionable service. This one year would then be calculated on the whole time equivalent pensionable pay.

As for combining her pension records, you need to be looking at her whole time equivalent salary. If she is now earning less because she is working fewer hours, then you need to compare what she would be earning if she were full time, against her previous pensionable pay. This is only for the final salary link - going forward, CARE is calculated on her actual pay.
    Last edited by Silvertabby; 11-09-2017 at 6:23 PM.
    • hyubh
    • By hyubh 11th Sep 17, 9:26 PM
    • 1,940 Posts
    • 1,453 Thanks
    hyubh
    • 11th Sep 17, 9:26 PM
    • 11th Sep 17, 9:26 PM
    My wife has been employed by the council from 1996 to now
    Originally posted by Muscle750
    I nearly spilt my drink! Does Mrs Muscle know of your online crusade against public sector pensions? I hope you've told her to do the decent thing and opt out ASAP, and while she's about it, stop laughing in the face of hard-pressed private sector workers

On her last statement it says the following
    1/80ths 6 years and 79 days
    1/60ths 4 years and 215 days
    If her employment was continuous between 2008 and 2014, then clearly there is an assumption of some part-time working there, as Silvertabby says. Does none of the statements include both 'qualifying' as well as 'reckonable' service figures? If so, the former will be calendar service, the latter calendar service pro-rated for any period of part-time working. On the flip side, and again as Silvertabby says, the final salary used for final salary benefits will be her whole-time equivalent final salary - this prevents sharp changes of hours near the end having an outsized effect on the pension.

My concern is that now she is earning far less any bad move on the combining the pots etc could be quite serious. Ive suggested she sees a IFA.
    No need to do that.
    • bigadaj
    • By bigadaj 11th Sep 17, 9:59 PM
    • 10,655 Posts
    • 6,959 Thanks
    bigadaj
    • 11th Sep 17, 9:59 PM
    • 11th Sep 17, 9:59 PM
    I trust mr muscle has been consistently berating his better half for many years about the way she has been abusing the taxpayer.
    • Silvertabby
    • By Silvertabby 18th Sep 17, 9:04 PM
    • 1,778 Posts
    • 2,149 Thanks
    Silvertabby
    • 18th Sep 17, 9:04 PM
    • 18th Sep 17, 9:04 PM
    Curious - mr muscle has gone from kicking off to very quiet!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

102Posts Today

1,700Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I believe I can boldly go where no twitter poll has gone before https://t.co/HA0jC92gAK

• OK I'm wilting to public pressure and there will be a star trek captain's poll at some point next week

• I can get that. My order is 1. Picard 2. Janeway 3. Kirk. Too early to say where Lorca will end up (or would you? https://t.co/kawtCOe9RA

• Follow Martin