Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • steve_jones
    • By steve_jones 11th Sep 17, 5:53 PM
    • 14Posts
    • 0Thanks
    steve_jones
    Purple Bricks an option?
    • 11th Sep 17, 5:53 PM
    Purple Bricks an option? 11th Sep 17 at 5:53 PM
    Hi,

I'm currently selling my property, it has been on the market for 6 weeks, in that time it had a offer within 6 days near asking price which I accepted but fell through as the buyer couldn't get a mortgage since then it has had two more viewings lined up that got cancelled at the last minute. This is becoming a very frustrated process. More so as I have found the place I want. (yes I know I shouldn't have done this)

I have my property priced the lowest for a two bedroom apartment, the area is nice and inside is in perfect condition. It is also being left with all the kitchen appliances. The photos on the EA brochure seem fine along with floor plans. I am struggling to understand why there has been little interest.

Does anyone think Purple Bricks will be able to drum up more interest? I know they have their doubters and limitations but I am wondering if some buyers prefer the ease of doing it online and get put off by speaking to an EA?
Page 2
    • Ali03
    • By Ali03 12th Sep 17, 1:32 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Ali03
    And to add that the 2 different EA that showed us round answered all my questions with 'I'm not sure but if you ring the office they will tell you!' All just babysitters and just useless
    • kinger101
    • By kinger101 12th Sep 17, 10:30 PM
    • 3,942 Posts
    • 5,392 Thanks
    kinger101
    The last property I bought, the EA just stood in the hall and left me to walk around. TBH, I think I probably liked that approach best. (I managed to work out which rooms were the kitchen, bathroom, lounge, bedrooms etc all by myself.)
    Originally posted by eddddy
    It only seems to be the most experienced EAs who worked that out.

Actually, the worst viewing I had was done by the vendor's brother (vendor was abroad). When the EA called for feedback on the Monday, I told them house wasn't for be, but they really need to tell the vendor's brother to stop talking so much utter drivel. The second worst was a young EA who was saying I could make a feature of shoe cupboard. "Er.....but it's just a cupboard."
    • husheechee
    • By husheechee 26th Sep 17, 3:43 PM
    • 120 Posts
    • 79 Thanks
    husheechee
    Never again
    Personally I wouldnt use them again. Having had rent a gob come round and telling me that they are the best thing since sliced bread I sorta rather liked him for his straight up front spiel.
    So when I go to sign up for them to sell my property I was asked if I wanted to pay up front or defer the payment until the end of their contract.."whats the difference" I asked.."oh..no difference really"...fast forward and I am now 5 weeks into the sale and purchase of my new place and have appointed my own solicitors when I find out that because I aggreed to "defer" my payment untill the end of sale/contract I have found that I inadvertently tied myself into using their conveyancers/solicitors...the result?? I have now had to pay a £360 get out clause so I can continue with my own solicitor..I feel as if I have been mugged..this certainly was NOT what I thought I had agreed to!..and I know everyone will say that I shoul've read the T&Cs but it genuinely wasn't explained fully to me what the deferred payment option meant..a costly mistake on my behalf.. but I thought it would be worth highlighting..buyer beware an all that
    • husheechee
    • By husheechee 26th Sep 17, 3:46 PM
    • 120 Posts
    • 79 Thanks
    husheechee
    and as an aside to that their solicitors/conveyancing fees were £999 plus vat..definately NOT cheap...money for old rope
    • cjdavies
    • By cjdavies 26th Sep 17, 6:16 PM
    • 2,786 Posts
    • 2,792 Thanks
    cjdavies
    The price is too high.

You could post a link so people can give feedback - but only at your own risk as there will be negative as well as positive.
    Last edited by cjdavies; 26-09-2017 at 6:20 PM.
    • eddddy
    • By eddddy 26th Sep 17, 7:01 PM
    • 5,427 Posts
    • 5,095 Thanks
    eddddy
    "whats the difference" I asked.."oh..no difference really"
    Originally posted by husheechee
    In theory, that was misrepresentation - which would be a reason for you not having to pay the £360.

But I suspect that the EA would deny saying that... plus presumably you were given a copy of the contract which explained the fees in writing. So I think it would be a big challenge to win that argument.
    • Scotbot
    • By Scotbot 26th Sep 17, 10:48 PM
    • 130 Posts
    • 91 Thanks
    Scotbot
    I am buying at the moment and the agent a property is listed with is completely irrelevant to me. It goes on line I get an alert and f I like it I will arrange to look at it. End of.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,811Posts Today

8,821Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Sadly for those buying jointly "Where there are joint purchasers, all purchasers would need to be first-time buyers. "

• First time buyers usually defined as someone who has never owned or part owned a property https://t.co/yM3urZNs8z

• You will not pay stamp duty https://t.co/vHoCWiUXfo

• Follow Martin