Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Willdabeast
    • By Willdabeast 11th Sep 17, 5:19 PM
    • 27Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Willdabeast
    Buying new build off plan - current house not on the market
    • 11th Sep 17, 5:19 PM
    Buying new build off plan - current house not on the market 11th Sep 17 at 5:19 PM
    Hi,

I am looking at buying a property off plan, at present the single property site has been cleared but no works started on the build.

I have had my house valued but not on the market yet. Do you think the builder would accept an offer as i'm not in a position to move? The house wont be available for 6-9 months so would give me (hopefully) plenty of time to sell mine.

Has anybody been in this position and able to offer advice on how it works?

Thanks
Page 1
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 11th Sep 17, 5:27 PM
    • 8,522 Posts
    • 5,049 Thanks
    teddysmum
    • 11th Sep 17, 5:27 PM
    • 11th Sep 17, 5:27 PM
    Are you willing to buy a house completely unseen with no idea of quality or actual size, which is hard to picture from plans ? Is it a reputable builder, because the standards of some are terrible ?
    • alex_163163
    • By alex_163163 11th Sep 17, 5:46 PM
    • 205 Posts
    • 135 Thanks
    alex_163163
    • 11th Sep 17, 5:46 PM
    • 11th Sep 17, 5:46 PM
    The builder is unlikely to accept your offer unless you have sold your house STC already. They need to know you are in a proceedable position.
    • comeandgo
    • By comeandgo 11th Sep 17, 6:08 PM
    • 1,868 Posts
    • 2,510 Thanks
    comeandgo
    • 11th Sep 17, 6:08 PM
    • 11th Sep 17, 6:08 PM
    We bought off plan when our own house was not even on the market. New house took 10 months to be ready, it depends on the builder.
    • Willdabeast
    • By Willdabeast 11th Sep 17, 7:08 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Willdabeast
    • 11th Sep 17, 7:08 PM
    • 11th Sep 17, 7:08 PM
    Thanks for the replys.

We have seen detailed drawings and spec and would meet to discuss finer details etc. The point about standard of work is a good one and would ask to see other builds they have done.

I think an upfront discussion with the builder is key so we know there expectations
    • AlexTheLion
    • By AlexTheLion 11th Sep 17, 10:07 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    AlexTheLion
    • 11th Sep 17, 10:07 PM
    • 11th Sep 17, 10:07 PM
    Typically builders are very reluctant to drop the headlight price of the property as this devalues the market, not only effecting the property you wish to purchase but also the similar properties on the site. It's much more feasible to get value out of them via extras, kitchen upgrades, flooring etc which all adds heavily to the cost of a new build.

You haven't really given us much to go on in terms of the situation, is it a large builder on a phase? Or a small independent with less than 10 houses on the development etc.
    • deannatrois
    • By deannatrois 12th Sep 17, 1:02 AM
    • 4,849 Posts
    • 6,812 Thanks
    deannatrois
    • 12th Sep 17, 1:02 AM
    • 12th Sep 17, 1:02 AM
    Put New Build into forum search tool, and get an idea of the problems people can experience with expectations not being met, in spite of thinking they were guaranteed the finished property would be as it was shown on plan.

The same building company can have a nightmare development (for the buyers) and a good one a few miles down the road, it all depends on the site manger. There do seem to be certain companies with more bad reviews, who may use cheapest products and shortest time scales to build.

Just go into this with your eyes open.

Don't use a builder's recommended solicitor. This can cause bias.
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 12th Sep 17, 8:20 AM
    • 7,599 Posts
    • 8,196 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    • 12th Sep 17, 8:20 AM
    • 12th Sep 17, 8:20 AM
    Typically builders are very reluctant to drop the headlight price of the property as this devalues the market, not only effecting the property you wish to purchase but also the similar properties on the site. It's much more feasible to get value out of them via extras, kitchen upgrades, flooring etc which all adds heavily to the cost of a new build.

You haven't really given us much to go on in terms of the situation, is it a large builder on a phase? Or a small independent with less than 10 houses on the development etc.
    Originally posted by AlexTheLion
    From the original
    at present the single property site
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

252Posts Today

1,708Users online

Martin's Twitter