Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JLest
    • By JLest 11th Sep 17, 4:48 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    JLest
    Online course a rip off - help!
    • 11th Sep 17, 4:48 PM
    Online course a rip off - help! 11th Sep 17 at 4:48 PM
    A few months ago my wife pretty much hit rock bottom with her business and was lured into buying a 'get rich quick' type online marketing course. After an online 'consultation' she parted with a lot of money (thousands), before seeing any documentation, Ts&Cs, or really understanding what the course was about. When, a few days later, she was eventually sent a link to the course content, she realised it was below par, pretty obvious stuff you could pick up for free on Google, it amounted to little more than a guide on how to SPAM people on Facebook, which how she'd been lured in in the first place. Pyramid selling, in short a rip off.

What they did have was pages upon pages of Ts&Cs covering ever angle. No refunds were to be given in any circumstances and if you stood up and bad mouthed the course, they kick you out, delete your comments and take away your voice.

Within days she asked for her money back, which they refused. She has written countless emails, all ignored.

We have tried to get out money back from her credit card company under section 75, but because of the Ts&Cs (even though she hadn’t seen them before she parted with the cash) – they won’t refund.

Obviously, my wife wishes she had done more research and asked more questions. Whilst a background check on the main person behind the course reveals a few dodgy comments about his previous businesses, it looks like he’s gone to some lengths to hide his online history.

But when my wife bought into the course she was desperate, clutching at straws, not a fit state to make such decisions.

I’m well aware there probably isn’t much we can do, and we obviously feel idiots for falling for such an age old scam. To make matters worse the company are registered abroad.

Does anyone else out there have a similar experience or any advice on where to go/what to do.

If there are any helpful comments out there. They’d be much appreciated.
Page 1
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 11th Sep 17, 4:56 PM
    • 2,908 Posts
    • 1,987 Thanks
    AndyPix
    • 11th Sep 17, 4:56 PM
    • 11th Sep 17, 4:56 PM
    This is a duplicate thread to which you have had replies - and not responded ??!!

Are you going to name and shame them to stop anyone else falling for a similar "scam" ?
    Running with scissors since 1978
    • JLest
    • By JLest 11th Sep 17, 5:10 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    JLest
    • 11th Sep 17, 5:10 PM
    • 11th Sep 17, 5:10 PM
    Hi,
    New to this I'm afraid. Thought this section might be a more appropriate place for this.

I'd rather get some advice on options (if there are any) - before thinking about naming the company.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 11th Sep 17, 6:01 PM
    • 18,750 Posts
    • 9,995 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    • 11th Sep 17, 6:01 PM
    • 11th Sep 17, 6:01 PM
    I'd rather get some advice on options
    Originally posted by JLest
    This is a business to business transaction for which Consumer Rights legislation does not apply. There doesn't appear to have been any Due Diligence prior to your wife agreeing to part with the money.

All you can do is name the company so that others do not follow in your footsteps, but please don't duplicate your threads.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,497Posts Today

9,554Users online

Martin's Twitter