Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • TheCardcan
    • By TheCardcan 11th Sep 17, 4:26 PM
    • 14Posts
    • 12Thanks
    TheCardcan
    Easy way of Getting a Credit Check
    • 11th Sep 17, 4:26 PM
    Easy way of Getting a Credit Check 11th Sep 17 at 4:26 PM
    I am hoping to get a credit check but I have had a lot of accounts and the history goes back further than my memory.

I've tried to get online checks but keep getting the questions wrong and am locked out of several sites. I'd be happy to pay my 2 quid if I don't have to do an exam to get one.

Does anyone have any idea about how I can easily prove my ID please?
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 11th Sep 17, 4:29 PM
    • 14,084 Posts
    • 14,769 Thanks
    zx81
    • 11th Sep 17, 4:29 PM
    • 11th Sep 17, 4:29 PM
    Raise a query with each of the CRAs.
    • SnowTiger
    • By SnowTiger 11th Sep 17, 4:36 PM
    • 3,085 Posts
    • 2,052 Thanks
    SnowTiger
    • 11th Sep 17, 4:36 PM
    • 11th Sep 17, 4:36 PM
    I am hoping to get a credit check but I have had a lot of accounts and the history goes back further than my memory.

I've tried to get online checks but keep getting the questions wrong and am locked out of several sites. I'd be happy to pay my 2 quid if I don't have to do an exam to get one.

Does anyone have any idea about how I can easily prove my ID please?
    Originally posted by TheCardcan
    Write to the three main credit reference agencies and ask them to send a copy of your credit report by post. Each of them will cost you £2. Details of where to write and what information to include is on their websites.

The reports will give you enough information about previous accounts to pass the security questions, enabling you to sign up and view the free versions online.

https://ico.org.uk/for-the-public/credit/
    • David555
    • By David555 11th Sep 17, 5:19 PM
    • 41 Posts
    • 33 Thanks
    David555
    • 11th Sep 17, 5:19 PM
    • 11th Sep 17, 5:19 PM
    Also worth trying out checkmyfile.com if you haven't already? I had problems getting access to my credit file along with the £2 report online. I entered my card details on most to verify my address, answered questions, emailed in proof of my address such as bank statements and my passport, they sent me a pin in the post to enter online...thought I was getting somewhere after again entering my card details to confirm my address and then comes the question whose my mortgage with? (I don't have one and never have!) so needless to say I again couldn't get my credit file after I clicked the only semi suitable answer "other"

Checkmyfile on the other hand worked perfectly instantly. They do a 30 day free trail, dead easy to cancel online without having to call or email. I don't work for them I promise! Otherwise write to the big 3 requesting your file but from my experience they were as useful as a chocolate tea pot. The only extra proof I could possibly give was my blood to do DNA tests on to prove my identity
    • MSE Chris
    • By MSE Chris 12th Sep 17, 9:27 AM
    • 69 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    MSE Chris
    • 12th Sep 17, 9:27 AM
    • 12th Sep 17, 9:27 AM
    It's also good to remember that your report will only show open and closed accounts for the last 6 years. Anything older than this won't be included on your report.
    • Car1980
    • By Car1980 13th Sep 17, 9:27 AM
    • 233 Posts
    • 112 Thanks
    Car1980
    • 13th Sep 17, 9:27 AM
    • 13th Sep 17, 9:27 AM
    You're more likely to get a card from whoever you bank with.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

648Posts Today

5,077Users online

Martin's Twitter