Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • harshitguptaiitr
    • By harshitguptaiitr 11th Sep 17, 4:19 PM
    • 56Posts
    • 7Thanks
    harshitguptaiitr
    FTB - Paperwork for replacing kitchen
    • 11th Sep 17, 4:19 PM
    FTB - Paperwork for replacing kitchen 11th Sep 17 at 4:19 PM
    I am planning to buy a property where integrated oven, microwave and washing machine were all installed when the kitchen was replaced approximately 6 years ago.

Pls can you let me know what kind of paperwork will the vendor have for the above work (replacing kitchen, installing washing machine, over and microwave)?
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 11th Sep 17, 4:22 PM
    • 13,170 Posts
    • 13,484 Thanks
    zx81
    • 11th Sep 17, 4:22 PM
    • 11th Sep 17, 4:22 PM
    Possibly the odd instruction manual or two.
    • harshitguptaiitr
    • By harshitguptaiitr 11th Sep 17, 4:26 PM
    • 56 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    harshitguptaiitr
    • 11th Sep 17, 4:26 PM
    • 11th Sep 17, 4:26 PM
    The kitchen work would have required electrical tasks such as installing sockets, wiring for microwave and oven. Wouldn't there be any paperwork for the electrical task?

Note that the work was done after 2005 - and there were some new documentation related regulations brought in.
    • zx81
    • By zx81 11th Sep 17, 4:30 PM
    • 13,170 Posts
    • 13,484 Thanks
    zx81
    • 11th Sep 17, 4:30 PM
    • 11th Sep 17, 4:30 PM
    They may have it. Or equally likely, they won't.

Ask them.

At the very least, they'll have a manual for a toaster they no longer own.
    • spadoosh
    • By spadoosh 11th Sep 17, 4:36 PM
    • 4,343 Posts
    • 5,654 Thanks
    spadoosh
    • 11th Sep 17, 4:36 PM
    • 11th Sep 17, 4:36 PM
    There should be a certificate of approval from building regulation to say its compliant.

You can in theory though replace all of them without needing building regulation approval it just depends how its done.

So you can refit a kitchen without touching the electrics, wouldnt need building reg approval. You can obviously change washing machine and microwave without approval (you dont need approval when you buy a new hoover) gas should be fitted by someone gas registered i think now. There was some arguments over direct replacements and how qualified you need to be to replace a bayonet hose not sure how it ended or if it has?!

Dont worry too much about paperwork for appliances, any paperwork you had probably wouldnt be valid due to time passed.

So ask if its up to building regs. And hopefully see a certificate.

A caveat. Certificates dont show something is safe or is unsafe. All it says is that it was safe when it was done. Its exactly like an MOT, valid right up until you leave the garage. From there youre at the mercy of fate (or maintenance depends which route you take) as to how long until things go wrong. What im saying is even if you find a certificate it will only say it was compliant and safe 6 years ago (or when it was done). In that time, wires could become loose, buildings move, a diy bodger has had a play.
    Last edited by spadoosh; 11-09-2017 at 4:44 PM.
    Don't be angry!
    • Surrey_EA
    • By Surrey_EA 11th Sep 17, 4:39 PM
    • 1,059 Posts
    • 1,250 Thanks
    Surrey_EA
    • 11th Sep 17, 4:39 PM
    • 11th Sep 17, 4:39 PM
    The kitchen work would have required electrical tasks such as installing sockets, wiring for microwave and oven. Wouldn't there be any paperwork for the electrical task?
    Originally posted by harshitguptaiitr
    Appropriate paperwork for any necessary electrical work, but probably little else. Adding sockets is notifiable under Part P if I remember correctly.

Other than a manual if you're lucky there's not likely to be any documentation relating to the microwave and washing machine.
    • ReadingTim
    • By ReadingTim 11th Sep 17, 5:16 PM
    • 2,002 Posts
    • 2,912 Thanks
    ReadingTim
    • 11th Sep 17, 5:16 PM
    Assume they have absolutely nothing whatsoever, and you won't be disappointed. Anything that they do have will be a bonus.
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 11th Sep 17, 5:16 PM
    • 23,744 Posts
    • 66,079 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    It's perfectly feasible that there are no certificates and no requirements for any.

Bear in mind that many things can change in eleven years and any certificate is only a certificate of compliance and safety on that day.

If you want to know that things are safe now then commission an electrical report.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
    • bouicca21
    • By bouicca21 11th Sep 17, 8:38 PM
    • 3,097 Posts
    • 3,825 Thanks
    bouicca21
    • 11th Sep 17, 8:38 PM
    • 11th Sep 17, 8:38 PM
    What I got (for a much newer kitchen): drawings for the design, a few manuals and an electrical safety certificate.
    • cjmillsnun
    • By cjmillsnun 17th Sep 17, 10:03 PM
    • 177 Posts
    • 113 Thanks
    cjmillsnun

Note that the work was done after 2005 - and there were some new documentation related regulations brought in.
    Originally posted by harshitguptaiitr
    Would it? Do you know they installed sockets? Might they have already been there? Might the cooker point have already been there. Simply connecting the oven/cooker to an existing point is not notifiable. Wiring for the microwave? They normally just have a plug on the end of the flex which goes into a conventional socket.

You may be clutching at straws.
    • goodwithsaving
    • By goodwithsaving 17th Sep 17, 11:10 PM
    • 616 Posts
    • 921 Thanks
    goodwithsaving
    Wouldn't expect them to have any documentation. Useful if they know where the units are from in case you ever have to replace doors but that's about it.
    Every time you borrow money, you’re robbing your future self. –Nathan W. Morris
    • deannatrois
    • By deannatrois 17th Sep 17, 11:32 PM
    • 4,742 Posts
    • 6,675 Thanks
    deannatrois
    I replaced my own kitchen, no certificates at all although I didn't do any electrical work. If you are that worried, get an electrician/other professionals to look over the work. Although any report (for electrical work) will likely say it doesn't meet current regulations purely because regulations have changed since the day of installation.
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 18th Sep 17, 10:33 AM
    • 9,517 Posts
    • 11,999 Thanks
    hazyjo
    My buyers have agreed to an indemnity policy re the electrics as I've not got the certificates from when my kitchen was installed (4-ish years ago). It's not gone bang in that time and it was all done by an electrician. I did (generously) offer to pay for an electrician's report (via my solicitor - not sure if he passed it on), but it looks as though an indemnity policy will suffice.
    2017 wins: Opera tickets; film preview; lipstick; Ideal Home Show tickets + afternoon tea & bottle of Champagne; 2 cases of NKD; notebook; bath rack; books; film Premiere; Broadchurch DVDs; lipbalms; hamper (food/wine/Echo Dot/Jo Malone goodies); Avon lippies; cowhide rug; Windsor luxury break, foundation
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,951Posts Today

8,580Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin