Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • dav964
    • By dav964 11th Sep 17, 4:19 PM
    • 25Posts
    • 7Thanks
    dav964
    Car insurance - car in UK, owner abroad.
    • 11th Sep 17, 4:19 PM
    Car insurance - car in UK, owner abroad. 11th Sep 17 at 4:19 PM
    I'm looking for some ideas here.....

My daughter is currently living/working/driving in Australia and will be for another 6-12 months. Her car is currently uninsured and sitting on my drive. I'd like to take it out for a short run every couple of weeks in order to keep it in good condition. I've checked my policy and I am covered to drive it third party as long as it is already insured by another policy (which it isn't).

What is my best way forward? Any help appreciated! (BTW her car isn't worth a great deal).

Thanks.
Page 1
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 11th Sep 17, 4:35 PM
    • 32,808 Posts
    • 16,840 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 11th Sep 17, 4:35 PM
    • 11th Sep 17, 4:35 PM
    If it's not insured you cannot carry out the runs you mention.

But check it's sorn too. Otherwise she will be fined automatically under the continuous insurance rules

If you want to drive it then unsorn it and tax and insure it (maybe using a one day temporary policy)
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 11th Sep 17, 10:39 PM
    • 25,714 Posts
    • 10,219 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 11th Sep 17, 10:39 PM
    • 11th Sep 17, 10:39 PM
    SORN it and park it up and dont run it every so often which wont make a lot of difference anyway.

Or tax and insure it, but that can get quite costly because with the one day insurance you will need to tax it and then SORN it again which will cost 1 months tax.

But if its not insured then it must bne SORNd which cancels the tax.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 12th Sep 17, 1:43 PM
    • 3,576 Posts
    • 2,657 Thanks
    sheramber
    • 12th Sep 17, 1:43 PM
    • 12th Sep 17, 1:43 PM
    An elderly gentleman kept an old Lada in a garage behind my husband's shop. He regularly started it up, reversed it out of the garage and ran it, then put it back in the garage. He never went anywhere in it.
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 12th Sep 17, 4:53 PM
    • 25,714 Posts
    • 10,219 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 12th Sep 17, 4:53 PM
    • 12th Sep 17, 4:53 PM
    Probably did more harm than good just running it and not driving it, especially an older car which will not have the efficiency of a modern car.

Old cars used to pump excess fuel in to help start the car and warm it up, this excess fuel would also wash the oil off the bores causing excess wear.

Just ticking over will take a good while to get heat through all the components. Just getting it partially heated wont burn off the moisture.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • ilikewatch
    • By ilikewatch 12th Sep 17, 5:43 PM
    • 1,018 Posts
    • 1,213 Thanks
    ilikewatch
    • 12th Sep 17, 5:43 PM
    • 12th Sep 17, 5:43 PM
    An elderly gentleman kept an old Lada in a garage behind my husband's shop. He regularly started it up, reversed it out of the garage and ran it, then put it back in the garage. He never went anywhere in it.
    Originally posted by sheramber
    A few years ago I lived opposite an old chap who had a Mk3 Cortina which was in beautiful condition. Every single dry day he would drive it out of his garage onto his drive and check the oil, coolant and tyre pressures. 2-3 times a week he would give it a PROPER wash and polish.

One day I got talking to him and mentioned that he seemed to really care for his car, but I'd never seen him driving it. His response - "Oh, I never learned to drive, but I inherited it from my brother 20 years ago, and I like to look after it".
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

75Posts Today

1,524Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin