Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Jacksmum26
    • By Jacksmum26 11th Sep 17, 3:53 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Jacksmum26
    Forced sleep ins
    • 11th Sep 17, 3:53 PM
    Forced sleep ins 11th Sep 17 at 3:53 PM
    I work in a care setting at the moment we have waking nights and shift patterns, our manager has taken on a new service that has sleep ins that don't count towards your contracted hours - so for example I am contracted to 30 hours a week and pick up over time as needed. But we have been informed they are not only changing where we work but that we now HAVE to do sleep ins and these will not be included in our hours, so if I do 2 sleep ins I will still need to do my 30 hours in the week as well as the sleep ins. When I started the job I didn't agree to sleep ins, can they now force us to do sleep ins and change our shifts like this? We all have out side commitments so doing an extra 10-20 away from home every week is causing us all a lot of worry and stress.
    Our union rep isn't available for another week ( holiday )
    Can any one give us some advice? This is causing so much stress that I'm worried people will just walk.

Any advice would be great before we all have a melt down
Page 2
    • fraserbooks
    • By fraserbooks 13th Sep 17, 4:06 PM
    • 272 Posts
    • 5,427 Thanks
    fraserbooks
    When I did sleep ins as a qualified nurse in a nursing home I was paid £50.00 for the sleep in plus two extra hours until 11 p.m. and one hour after 6 a.m. on full pay when we were expected to be awake. We also got full pay for any wake up call if the emergency lasted more than an hour. You need to make sure they give you the next day off. We got an extra afternoon off a week to make up for the waking hours.

The mencap link was interesting. I can imagine that waking night staff would be upset if their colleagues were paid the same for sleeping. Some nursing agencies will only supply waking night staff so I have been in the position of having a sleeping agency being paid more than me for running a home at night.
    Last edited by fraserbooks; 13-09-2017 at 4:17 PM.
    • sangie595
    • By sangie595 13th Sep 17, 5:49 PM
    • 4,046 Posts
    • 6,536 Thanks
    sangie595
    When I did sleep ins as a qualified nurse in a nursing home I was paid £50.00 for the sleep in plus two extra hours until 11 p.m. and one hour after 6 a.m. on full pay when we were expected to be awake. We also got full pay for any wake up call if the emergency lasted more than an hour. You need to make sure they give you the next day off. We got an extra afternoon off a week to make up for the waking hours.

The mencap link was interesting. I can imagine that waking night staff would be upset if their colleagues were paid the same for sleeping. Some nursing agencies will only supply waking night staff so I have been in the position of having a sleeping agency being paid more than me for running a home at night.
    Originally posted by fraserbooks
    So you suggest a race to the bottom? People sleeping at work are still at work, not out having a drink or reading a bedtime story to their kids, or whatever they would do if they were not working. If they are limited by the employer they should be paid by the employer. And if you think you deserve more pay, then fight for it. Like these people who made the law did. Don't whine about what you haven't got, or argue about what others have fought for - organise and get what you think is a fair wage.
    • paddedjohn
    • By paddedjohn 14th Sep 17, 12:22 PM
    • 7,057 Posts
    • 7,720 Thanks
    paddedjohn
    Truck drivers who are tramping have to sleep in their trucks, for this they are paid a measly £25/£30 a night.
    Be Alert..........Britain needs lerts.
    • Tony H
    • By Tony H 25th Oct 17, 10:46 PM
    • 2,512 Posts
    • 426 Thanks
    Tony H
    NAS - Here we come.
    Having just read the story on skynews: <<CLICK HERE>>

I decided to do some historicals on my girlfriends employment with NAS. She had been paid £29.97 for each sleep in and had done 124 in a 4 year period. Based solely on NMW for each relevant year she has been underpaid £3130.60.

I am just in the process of compiling a letter to send off to the National Autistic Society requesting payment in full or legal action will be taken to recover the underpayment.
    • dawyldthing
    • By dawyldthing 26th Oct 17, 3:23 PM
    • 2,621 Posts
    • 2,067 Thanks
    dawyldthing

I decided to do some historicals on my girlfriends employment with NAS. She had been paid £29.97 for each sleep in and had done 124 in a 4 year period. Based solely on NMW for each relevant year she has been underpaid £3130.60.

I am just in the process of compiling a letter to send off to the National Autistic Society requesting payment in full or legal action will be taken to recover the underpayment.
    Originally posted by Tony H
    I think HMRC are chasing it for us all I'm lead to believe
    My targets to end 2018:
    1) To get down to 11 stone 7lbs then treat to a safari. At start 17 stone 7 lbs *43lbs lost* *41lbs to go*
    Started SW16st13lbs 11/7/17 - 19 weeks in -35lbs
    3/9 to NYE 12lbs down / 4lbs to go
    2) to find new challenges
    • dawyldthing
    • By dawyldthing 26th Oct 17, 3:32 PM
    • 2,621 Posts
    • 2,067 Thanks
    dawyldthing
    https://www.civilsociety.co.uk/news/hmrc-suspends-back-pay-demands-for-disability-charities.html
    My targets to end 2018:
    1) To get down to 11 stone 7lbs then treat to a safari. At start 17 stone 7 lbs *43lbs lost* *41lbs to go*
    • annandale
    • By annandale 26th Oct 17, 3:35 PM
    • 926 Posts
    • 1,981 Thanks
    annandale
    How do you make sure that they give you the next day off? Ive done sleepover shifts which consisted over a 24 hour shift with a sleepover in the middle and then back in the following day for an early shift.

You can't make someone give you the day off, it's impossible.
    • mac.d
    • By mac.d 26th Oct 17, 9:15 PM
    • 503 Posts
    • 393 Thanks
    mac.d
    <snip>
    So reading a news article about how the care sector is in crisis and “on the brink of collapse” with multiple charities facing insolvency, makes you want to calculate how much money your girlfriend could earn in back pay and send them a letter threating legal action? I know people want to be paid fairly, but....
    • annandale
    • By annandale 26th Oct 17, 9:27 PM
    • 926 Posts
    • 1,981 Thanks
    annandale
    People should have been paid fairly from the beginning. Why shouldn't they be?

If there has been a ruling that people should have been paid per hour rather than a flat rate why shouldn't people get the back pay that's owed to them?

I worked for years getting a flat rate of 22 pounds for an 8 hour sleep in shift. Except it wasnt a sleep in shift. I was regularly woken during the night and then had to work a day shift the following day.

This is the issue, you are effectively on call and if you are needed you have to get up.
    • annandale
    • By annandale 26th Oct 17, 9:34 PM
    • 926 Posts
    • 1,981 Thanks
    annandale
    I don't think they should be fined but it would be nice if they did back pay it as I know where I am they could have paid the right rate but kept it as profit.
    There you are. Most of the charities I worked for had ceos who were on ridiculous sums of money while the staff got paid peanuts.

Save your criticism for the people who deserve it.
    • Tony H
    • By Tony H 18th Nov 17, 6:57 AM
    • 2,512 Posts
    • 426 Thanks
    Tony H

Just to keep you folks informed, the Payroll Manager has offered a response.

He says, "We were audited in June 2017, and have made a back dated payment to our employees going back to 2015." They are awaiting the results of the audit before finalising back payments.

He then says, "Once we have the results of the audit will be be in a position to "responce" to your request."

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I have replied to him thanking him for his admission of liability on this issue due to the legislation change, requesting immediate payment or legal action will be taken.

I'll let you know how we get on.
    • elsien
    • By elsien 18th Nov 17, 9:20 AM
    • 15,296 Posts
    • 38,398 Thanks
    elsien
    Shouldn't that be your girlfriend replying to him? Why are you threatening legal action when they're still in the process of working out what they need to pay and how to pay it? Seems unnecessary to me.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • dawyldthing
    • By dawyldthing 19th Nov 17, 12:58 PM
    • 2,621 Posts
    • 2,067 Thanks
    dawyldthing
    So reading a news article about how the care sector is in crisis and “on the brink of collapse” with multiple charities facing insolvency, makes you want to calculate how much money your girlfriend could earn in back pay and send them a letter threating legal action? I know people want to be paid fairly, but....
    Originally posted by mac.d
    They've got a year to calculate it and then 3 months to pay it. Should be paid by March 2019
    My targets to end 2018:
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

182Posts Today

1,869Users online

Martin's Twitter