Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Jacksmum26
    • By Jacksmum26 11th Sep 17, 3:53 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Jacksmum26
    Forced sleep ins
    • 11th Sep 17, 3:53 PM
    Forced sleep ins 11th Sep 17 at 3:53 PM
    I work in a care setting at the moment we have waking nights and shift patterns, our manager has taken on a new service that has sleep ins that don't count towards your contracted hours - so for example I am contracted to 30 hours a week and pick up over time as needed. But we have been informed they are not only changing where we work but that we now HAVE to do sleep ins and these will not be included in our hours, so if I do 2 sleep ins I will still need to do my 30 hours in the week as well as the sleep ins. When I started the job I didn't agree to sleep ins, can they now force us to do sleep ins and change our shifts like this? We all have out side commitments so doing an extra 10-20 away from home every week is causing us all a lot of worry and stress.
    Our union rep isn't available for another week ( holiday )
    Can any one give us some advice? This is causing so much stress that I'm worried people will just walk.

Any advice would be great before we all have a melt down
Page 2
    • fraserbooks
    • By fraserbooks 13th Sep 17, 4:06 PM
    • 244 Posts
    • 5,400 Thanks
    fraserbooks
    When I did sleep ins as a qualified nurse in a nursing home I was paid £50.00 for the sleep in plus two extra hours until 11 p.m. and one hour after 6 a.m. on full pay when we were expected to be awake. We also got full pay for any wake up call if the emergency lasted more than an hour. You need to make sure they give you the next day off. We got an extra afternoon off a week to make up for the waking hours.

The mencap link was interesting. I can imagine that waking night staff would be upset if their colleagues were paid the same for sleeping. Some nursing agencies will only supply waking night staff so I have been in the position of having a sleeping agency being paid more than me for running a home at night.
    Last edited by fraserbooks; 13-09-2017 at 4:17 PM.
    • sangie595
    • By sangie595 13th Sep 17, 5:49 PM
    • 3,723 Posts
    • 6,098 Thanks
    sangie595
    When I did sleep ins as a qualified nurse in a nursing home I was paid £50.00 for the sleep in plus two extra hours until 11 p.m. and one hour after 6 a.m. on full pay when we were expected to be awake. We also got full pay for any wake up call if the emergency lasted more than an hour. You need to make sure they give you the next day off. We got an extra afternoon off a week to make up for the waking hours.

The mencap link was interesting. I can imagine that waking night staff would be upset if their colleagues were paid the same for sleeping. Some nursing agencies will only supply waking night staff so I have been in the position of having a sleeping agency being paid more than me for running a home at night.
    Originally posted by fraserbooks
    So you suggest a race to the bottom? People sleeping at work are still at work, not out having a drink or reading a bedtime story to their kids, or whatever they would do if they were not working. If they are limited by the employer they should be paid by the employer. And if you think you deserve more pay, then fight for it. Like these people who made the law did. Don't whine about what you haven't got, or argue about what others have fought for - organise and get what you think is a fair wage.
    • paddedjohn
    • By paddedjohn 14th Sep 17, 12:22 PM
    • 7,019 Posts
    • 7,701 Thanks
    paddedjohn
    Truck drivers who are tramping have to sleep in their trucks, for this they are paid a measly £25/£30 a night.
    Be Alert..........Britain needs lerts.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

85Posts Today

1,838Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin