Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • chimasuki
    • By chimasuki 11th Sep 17, 2:57 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    chimasuki
    investment isa
    • 11th Sep 17, 2:57 PM
    investment isa 11th Sep 17 at 2:57 PM
    hi, i have £5k to invest in a stocks and shares investment isa, i have read Martins recommendations for platforms and their charges, i do not wish to trade and just want to put the money away in a managed fund for a few years and let it grow, which platform would you recommend ?
Page 1
    • bostonerimus
    • By bostonerimus 11th Sep 17, 3:05 PM
    • 854 Posts
    • 427 Thanks
    bostonerimus
    • 11th Sep 17, 3:05 PM
    • 11th Sep 17, 3:05 PM
    I wouldn't recommend any active management......for small sums that you want to leave alone for say more than 5 years in an ISA I'd go with Vanguard and use a VLSxxx fund. If you are young something like VLS100 or VLS80 might work. There are plenty of other solutions, but this one is inexpensive and simple.
    Misanthrope in search of similar for mutual loathing
    • frugalmacdugal
    • By frugalmacdugal 11th Sep 17, 3:15 PM
    • 6,080 Posts
    • 5,230 Thanks
    frugalmacdugal
    • 11th Sep 17, 3:15 PM
    • 11th Sep 17, 3:15 PM
    Hi,

I posted this link in another thread this morning, will give you an idea, though check out individual sites for charges, and exit fees, in case you want out early.
    Y'all take care now.
    • Audaxer
    • By Audaxer 11th Sep 17, 5:32 PM
    • 404 Posts
    • 166 Thanks
    Audaxer
    • 11th Sep 17, 5:32 PM
    • 11th Sep 17, 5:32 PM
    hi, i have £5k to invest in a stocks and shares investment isa, i have read Martins recommendations for platforms and their charges, i do not wish to trade and just want to put the money away in a managed fund for a few years and let it grow, which platform would you recommend ?
    Originally posted by chimasuki
    A few years is too short a time frame to guarantee that an investment will grow as there could be an equity crash any time. You need to be prepared to leave it invested a lot longer and decide what level of risk you want, and then a good idea is to choose a passive global diversified multi asset fund that has the percentage of equities to bonds that you are comfortable with as regards risk/volatility.
    • Money Help
    • By Money Help 12th Sep 17, 8:09 AM
    • 24 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    Money Help
    • 12th Sep 17, 8:09 AM
    • 12th Sep 17, 8:09 AM
    Vanguard now have their own platform which offers an ISA. Very low cost and offers excellent low cost managed strategies depending on your appetite for risk.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

50Posts Today

2,297Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin