Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 11th Sep 17, 2:52 PM
    • 13,422Posts
    • 36,574Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Number of blankets NHS hospitals provide
    • 11th Sep 17, 2:52 PM
    Number of blankets NHS hospitals provide 11th Sep 17 at 2:52 PM
    My father is in an NHS hospital at present and is cold - because they've only given him their standard one (!!!!!!!!!) blanket they provide patients with.

I'm at the other end of the country - or I would "ask" very firmly for the rest of the blankets he needs. My mother isn't very likely to tell them they will provide more (whatever way one phrases it).

Also - being other end of country means I can't just go in and loan a couple of my duvets to the NHS for his benefit myself - and, obviously, duly ignore any "You can't do that" statements they tried to make to me.

Any suggestions as to how to deal with them and ensure they do provide him with adequate bedding please? Given that my mother won't fight them like I would.....
    If there's "4 tendencies" type of people (Gretchen Rubin) = yep....Questioner type here
    - Meets an expectation only if they believe it's justified and resists anything arbitrary or ineffective
Page 1
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 11th Sep 17, 2:55 PM
    • 59,874 Posts
    • 350,080 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    • 11th Sep 17, 2:55 PM
    • 11th Sep 17, 2:55 PM
    There is a group of people at hospitals calls PALS. Patient something or other Liaison Service or similar.

They do that bit about "joining up the patient end with the delivery end" - and can advise you what can be done to sort out the blanket situation... and they'll probably do it/organise it etc.

Try them first as they are in-house and are tasked to deal with "odd, unusual situations where people need a bit of help, questions answering and the system explaining".

If it's near me I'll go and get one and pop it over .... and do a daily "check up" service if you want
    • Mojisola
    • By Mojisola 11th Sep 17, 2:56 PM
    • 28,210 Posts
    • 71,768 Thanks
    Mojisola
    • 11th Sep 17, 2:56 PM
    • 11th Sep 17, 2:56 PM
    My father is in an NHS hospital at present and is cold - because they've only given him their standard one (!!!!!!!!!) blanket they provide patients with.

Any suggestions as to how to deal with them and ensure they do provide him with adequate bedding please? Given that my mother won't fight them like I would.....
    Originally posted by moneyistooshorttomention
    Phone up PALS at the hospital and explain the situation.

It's very difficult if neither the patient or the main visitor will say anything - how are the nurses to know that he is cold?
    • ringo_24601
    • By ringo_24601 11th Sep 17, 2:57 PM
    • 16,907 Posts
    • 27,454 Thanks
    ringo_24601
    • 11th Sep 17, 2:57 PM
    • 11th Sep 17, 2:57 PM
    Get your mother to bring in an old blanket?
    Phone the ward and nicely talk to the nurse in charge?

Don't 'fight' them. Be nice. They deal with enough on a day to day basis. Sort it out with your mother to bring in some old spare bedding.. or ask if they've got some spare blankets.
    Last edited by ringo_24601; 11-09-2017 at 3:00 PM.
    • comeandgo
    • By comeandgo 11th Sep 17, 3:07 PM
    • 1,790 Posts
    • 2,383 Thanks
    comeandgo
    • 11th Sep 17, 3:07 PM
    • 11th Sep 17, 3:07 PM
    Last time I was in hospital I asked the staff for another blanket, I did not need to be rude or demanding. It was given within minutes. Sometimes being nice gets better results than being demanding.
    • BorisThomson
    • By BorisThomson 11th Sep 17, 3:17 PM
    • 321 Posts
    • 453 Thanks
    BorisThomson
    • 11th Sep 17, 3:17 PM
    • 11th Sep 17, 3:17 PM
    Hospitals tend to be overly warm, for some one blanket is enough. If it's not, you simply need to ask the nurse or the HCA that does your observations. No one is going to object to your father asking.

Turning up with your own blankets would not be helpful. Not only is there the fire hazard consideration, but also what germs you may be bringing in. Plus there's absolutely no need to go to such fuss when all they need to do is ask!
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 11th Sep 17, 3:36 PM
    • 13,422 Posts
    • 36,574 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    • 11th Sep 17, 3:36 PM
    • 11th Sep 17, 3:36 PM
    There is a group of people at hospitals calls PALS. Patient something or other Liaison Service or similar.

They do that bit about "joining up the patient end with the delivery end" - and can advise you what can be done to sort out the blanket situation... and they'll probably do it/organise it etc.

Try them first as they are in-house and are tasked to deal with "odd, unusual situations where people need a bit of help, questions answering and the system explaining".

If it's near me I'll go and get one and pop it over .... and do a daily "check up" service if you want
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
    That is very very kind of you Pastures to offer.

I suspect you're some distance away from him I'm afraid - but will bear it in mind in case I'm wrong on that.

That Pals suggestion is a good one. I'll start with that thought....
    If there's "4 tendencies" type of people (Gretchen Rubin) = yep....Questioner type here
    - Meets an expectation only if they believe it's justified and resists anything arbitrary or ineffective
    • kazwookie
    • By kazwookie 11th Sep 17, 3:57 PM
    • 9,264 Posts
    • 117,664 Thanks
    kazwookie
    • 11th Sep 17, 3:57 PM
    • 11th Sep 17, 3:57 PM
    How about rining up the ward and asking on behalf oof your father for another blanket.

No need to fight them, nursing staff put up with enough c**p from all sorts, just ask nicely
    Sun, Sea
    • indesisiv
    • By indesisiv 11th Sep 17, 4:10 PM
    • 4,631 Posts
    • 15,540 Thanks
    indesisiv
    • 11th Sep 17, 4:10 PM
    • 11th Sep 17, 4:10 PM
    Its not about making a fuss. Just get one of your parents to say to a nurse, could I please get another blanket. They will then go and get one.

No need for PALS, or confrontation. If people don't say they are cold then how are the nurses supposed to know? Most people in hospital tend to only need a sheet nevermind a blanket as the rooms are so warm!
    “Time is intended to be spent, not saved” - Alfred Wainwright
    • trailingspouse
    • By trailingspouse 11th Sep 17, 4:53 PM
    • 2,200 Posts
    • 3,071 Thanks
    trailingspouse
    Essential that someone tells the staff. Feeling cold could be a symptom of other underlying conditions (eg poor circulation), or if he's alternately hot and cold there could be an infection.

Why can't your mother do this? Although she might not fight them like you would (!!), I'm sure she's perfectly capable of asking nicely.
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 11th Sep 17, 5:20 PM
    • 13,422 Posts
    • 36,574 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Thanks all.

sorted now - he's got his extra blankets.

It would so help if nursing staff just asked patients (in detail) how they're feeling.

Anyway - done now.
    • Lorian
    • By Lorian 11th Sep 17, 6:11 PM
    • 4,044 Posts
    • 2,194 Thanks
    Lorian
    I live in a family where no one else would say boo to a small an unfrightening goose. This can get worse. It's important you mother learns to communicate his requirements, otherwise it could be dehydration next....
    • LadyDee
    • By LadyDee 11th Sep 17, 7:00 PM
    • 2,431 Posts
    • 2,520 Thanks
    LadyDee
    Thanks all.

sorted now - he's got his extra blankets.

It would so help if nursing staff just asked patients (in detail) how they're feeling.

Anyway - done now.
    Originally posted by moneyistooshorttomention
    Well, if neither your father or your mother has said that he is cold, they could well have asked him if he's OK and he's just said "yes".
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 12th Sep 17, 7:47 AM
    • 13,422 Posts
    • 36,574 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    I live in a family where no one else would say boo to a small an unfrightening goose. This can get worse. It's important you mother learns to communicate his requirements, otherwise it could be dehydration next....
    Originally posted by Lorian

Valid point. Will check.

My father will normally stand up for himself if something is very important - but has changed with old age and become rather a "walkover" for others.

I'm "training" my mother to stand up for herself gradually. She's better than she was - but a long way to go on this still. Added that she's also elderly. I do lose count still of saying "Why didn't you/don't you ask?" about things....

I've also had to persuade her into accepting help when it's offered and she is a lot better than she was at that.
    Last edited by moneyistooshorttomention; 12-09-2017 at 7:50 AM.
    • Mojisola
    • By Mojisola 12th Sep 17, 8:31 AM
    • 28,210 Posts
    • 71,768 Thanks
    Mojisola
    If she really struggles with these little things, could you suggest to her that the nurses are very busy and it would help them a lot if she can let them know if your Dad needs something - in her mind, she'll be helping rather than complaining and it may make it easier for her.
    • flybynight
    • By flybynight 12th Sep 17, 4:22 PM
    • 248 Posts
    • 225 Thanks
    flybynight
    I had the opposite problem and ended up asking if I could have the window open with only a sheet as it was like sleeping in a sauna. glad they have managed to sort for you
    saving for more holidays
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

96Posts Today

1,830Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin