Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • CharlieP123
    • By CharlieP123 11th Sep 17, 2:42 PM
    • 6Posts
    • 0Thanks
    CharlieP123
    Defaults on credit report
    • 11th Sep 17, 2:42 PM
    Defaults on credit report 11th Sep 17 at 2:42 PM
    After looking at the threads on MSE I have come to the realisation that I need to sort my finances out! I have defaulted on some credit cards in the past, and at the time couldn't afford to make the repayments, as a result they were passed to debt recovery agents. I buried my head in the sand for a year or 2, but now had the courage and motivation to get these sorted...they are not huge debts compared to some I have read about in here, I've just had enough of being chased now.

I am aware defaults stay on your credit report for 6 years, but what date is this from? It is from when you first default? Will the amount of time I take to pay the debts back have any effect??
Page 1
    • StopIt
    • By StopIt 11th Sep 17, 3:12 PM
    • 879 Posts
    • 805 Thanks
    StopIt
    • 11th Sep 17, 3:12 PM
    • 11th Sep 17, 3:12 PM
    The default will be on your files from date of default.

If the defaults are longer than 6 months after your last payment, write to the lenders involved and ask them to backdate it.

Paying, or not paying defaulted debts do not affect when the defaults leave your files.
    • Fireflyaway
    • By Fireflyaway 11th Sep 17, 4:16 PM
    • 1,171 Posts
    • 1,204 Thanks
    Fireflyaway
    • 11th Sep 17, 4:16 PM
    • 11th Sep 17, 4:16 PM
    Same happened to me. You will feel great once its dealt with, makes you feel in control.
    6 years seems like a ridiculous time but it doesn't mean you can't live a life with defaults, there are usually multiple ways to get things done.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

147Posts Today

1,082Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin