Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • stedan1827
    • By stedan1827 11th Sep 17, 2:35 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    stedan1827
    Joint Bank account when moving home advice
    • 11th Sep 17, 2:35 PM
    Joint Bank account when moving home advice 11th Sep 17 at 2:35 PM
    Hello,

I have a joint First Direct account with my ex partner for my old house which I have just sold. For a while I have been in a rented flat with new partner, we are both on the electoral role at the flat.

We have just bought a house together and I have registered on Fri 8th Sept for the electoral roll there, however I expect that we won't be on it yet.

I was looking at getting a joint account for house hold bills, should I use the address for the flat where I know I'm on the electoral roll for, or the new one, will it matter, I don't want to be rejected. I will be staying in the flat for another month while the house is renovated.

Also, first direct state I need to close my old account and open a new one one in joint names and then one for myself.

I considered the 123 Santandar account for its cashback, but I like first direct,with Santandar I can apply online. With First Direct I have to call as I have an account already and we both need to be together which will mean calling tomorrow.

Any advice on which address to use and which is best, so staying with first direct and opening new accounts tomorrow, provided we are approved, or opening online now with Santandar and keeping my current joint account with ex partner until I a am settled and then getting a new one in my own name.

Of note the First direct one i have a 1500 pound OD available (not in it though), I will want some OD available on the new joint account for a just in case bases.

I'm open to alternative ideas too. I'm looking at getting an account number asap so I can set up new DD on the new utilities etc.

Thanks
Page 1
    • Mnd
    • By Mnd 12th Sep 17, 12:41 PM
    • 122 Posts
    • 138 Thanks
    Mnd
    • 12th Sep 17, 12:41 PM
    • 12th Sep 17, 12:41 PM
    The first thing I would be doing is disassociation myself from my ex .
    • Mnd
    • By Mnd 12th Sep 17, 12:43 PM
    • 122 Posts
    • 138 Thanks
    Mnd
    • 12th Sep 17, 12:43 PM
    • 12th Sep 17, 12:43 PM
    The first thing I would be doing is disassociation myself from any account with a ex partner
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,863Posts Today

9,140Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • In or near York? This Wed the @itvmlshow Roadshow" will be at the York Food & Drink Festival - do come and say hi; St Sampsons Square 11-4.

• It's the subtle poetry and lyricism of tweets like this that I find so endearing https://t.co/XhSKBCGyXe

• Interesting well argued take on the Uber situation from a black cab driver... https://t.co/c1I5ta0jde

• Follow Martin