Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Returntosender
    • By Returntosender 11th Sep 17, 2:30 PM
    • 26Posts
    • 11Thanks
    Returntosender
    Beyond Frustrated!!!
    • #1
    • 11th Sep 17, 2:30 PM
    Beyond Frustrated!!! 11th Sep 17 at 2:30 PM
    So, we're nearing exchange on the house we're buying, but I am beyond frustrated at how long this is taking. We were given a projected completion date of the end of August and we're now nearly 2 weeks into September. We're being held up by either the vendor or their solicitor not releasing information about insurance details for the underpinning that has been done to the property.

    If our solicitor chases up and nothing happens, is there anything I can do? I feel like finding the vendor's phone number and asking her directly to hurry the hell up! She said she wanted a quick sale but it's either her, or her solicitor that are dragging their feet.

    How does one calm their nerves in this situation!? I feel like I'm banging my head against a brick wall - phoning my solicitors every day for almost 2 weeks now and not getting anywhere.
Page 1
    • kates08
    • By kates08 11th Sep 17, 2:48 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    kates08
    • #2
    • 11th Sep 17, 2:48 PM
    • #2
    • 11th Sep 17, 2:48 PM
    Have you tried getting the EA to talk to them? Messages between solicitors are often a bit like Chinese whispers. When we were buying our current house we hit a stumbling block over our smaller than 10% deposit and it dragged on for 2 weeks. We made one call to the EA, who rang the seller (she didn't know what the hold up was as her solicitor hadn't even posed the question to her!). She immediately rang her solicitor and told them she was happy with our deposit and just wanted to exchange (only us and her in the chain) and we exchanged 2 days later.
    • Returntosender
    • By Returntosender 11th Sep 17, 2:54 PM
    • 26 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    Returntosender
    • #3
    • 11th Sep 17, 2:54 PM
    • #3
    • 11th Sep 17, 2:54 PM
    I've tried speaking to the EA but he says now that we've involved our solicitor in the query, he can no longer get involved!
    • rosyw
    • By rosyw 11th Sep 17, 3:14 PM
    • 478 Posts
    • 735 Thanks
    rosyw
    • #4
    • 11th Sep 17, 3:14 PM
    • #4
    • 11th Sep 17, 3:14 PM
    Is there a way of contacting your vendor direct? When I last moved there were a lot of delays caused by my vendors solicitor stating he was still awaiting numerous documents from my vendor, luckily I had a contact number and could speak directly to them. Everything their solicitor said he was waiting for had been sent WEEKS earlier! they'd had the sense to use recorded delivery and could tell them exactly when it was received by their office, ALL documents then miraculously arrived with my solicitor the following day

    I've made it a point to get contact details from my vendor every single time I've moved, it's saved a huge amount of stress and delays on many occasions
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 11th Sep 17, 4:23 PM
    • 9,510 Posts
    • 11,995 Thanks
    hazyjo
    • #5
    • 11th Sep 17, 4:23 PM
    • #5
    • 11th Sep 17, 4:23 PM
    Why the rush?


    I understand you want to get in. But this is what gets to me every time I've moved. It all happens with an average time of 12 weeks from offer to completion. When did you offer?


    Most of the time, the only stress that is caused by housebuying is by people in a mad rush for some unbeknown reason. Then the threats start and everyone starts pulling their hair out and chains fall apart.


    When were you given a projected completion date (and why?). If it was a few weeks in, all it'll do is annoy you.


    I'm buying at the moment and have to say, even with a chain of 6, it's all been fine so far. I'm fully expecting it all to go t**s up as soon as someone starts throwing deadlines into the mix. I'm just hoping to be in well before Christmas to avoid such shenanigans. If it was down to me, I'd be happy with January!


    If you start chasing the vendor, you will just prob get their back up. They may be having second thoughts for all you know. The second you push, their decision is made.


    Chill (I know it's hard!)
    2017 wins: Opera tickets; film preview; lipstick; Ideal Home Show tickets + afternoon tea & bottle of Champagne; 2 cases of NKD; notebook; bath rack; books; film Premiere; Broadchurch DVDs; lipbalms; hamper (food/wine/Echo Dot/Jo Malone goodies); Avon lippies; cowhide rug; Windsor luxury break, foundation
    • Surrey_EA
    • By Surrey_EA 11th Sep 17, 4:41 PM
    • 1,056 Posts
    • 1,249 Thanks
    Surrey_EA
    • #6
    • 11th Sep 17, 4:41 PM
    • #6
    • 11th Sep 17, 4:41 PM
    I've tried speaking to the EA but he says now that we've involved our solicitor in the query, he can no longer get involved!
    Originally posted by Returntosender
    He's talking rubbish!!
    • Returntosender
    • By Returntosender 11th Sep 17, 4:52 PM
    • 26 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    Returntosender
    • #7
    • 11th Sep 17, 4:52 PM
    • #7
    • 11th Sep 17, 4:52 PM
    Why the rush?


    I understand you want to get in. But this is what gets to me every time I've moved. It all happens with an average time of 12 weeks from offer to completion. When did you offer?


    Most of the time, the only stress that is caused by housebuying is by people in a mad rush for some unbeknown reason. Then the threats start and everyone starts pulling their hair out and chains fall apart.


    When were you given a projected completion date (and why?). If it was a few weeks in, all it'll do is annoy you.


    I'm buying at the moment and have to say, even with a chain of 6, it's all been fine so far. I'm fully expecting it all to go t**s up as soon as someone starts throwing deadlines into the mix. I'm just hoping to be in well before Christmas to avoid such shenanigans. If it was down to me, I'd be happy with January!


    If you start chasing the vendor, you will just prob get their back up. They may be having second thoughts for all you know. The second you push, their decision is made.


    Chill (I know it's hard!)
    Originally posted by hazyjo
    We put our offer in on 23rd June and it was accepted on the 26th, but lowered our offer and had that accepted on 21st Aug - and there's no chain (first time buyers here) - we were given a projected completion date by the estate agent, I don't know why... I didn't ask.

    I've just found the vendor's phone number on some documents - would I be within my rights to give her a call myself?

    Thanks
    Last edited by Returntosender; 11-09-2017 at 4:56 PM.
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 11th Sep 17, 5:00 PM
    • 9,510 Posts
    • 11,995 Thanks
    hazyjo
    • #8
    • 11th Sep 17, 5:00 PM
    • #8
    • 11th Sep 17, 5:00 PM
    We put our offer in on 23rd June and it was accepted on the 26th, but lowered our offer and had that accepted on 21st Aug - and there's no chain (first time buyers here) - we were given a projected completion date by the estate agent, I don't know why... I didn't ask.

    I've just found the vendor's phone number on some documents - would I be within my rights to give her a call myself?

    Thanks
    Originally posted by Returntosender


    Doesn't matter if only one in the chain, it still averages around 12 weeks. As much needs doing as if there were 6 (okay, you might avoid probs, but always base it on 12 weeks-ish).


    The EA was talking out of his @rse (as they often do). August was very optimistic. Your solicitor would be the one to advise on that, not the EA. You're hanging on way too much on what the EA says.


    Absolutely not - don't ring. I'd be livid. If they've not given it to you, don't ring them (nor send them FB messages as we've had on here before!). Arrange another viewing and talk to them if you like - that might speed them up, or you may find another problem they're not telling you about.
    2017 wins: Opera tickets; film preview; lipstick; Ideal Home Show tickets + afternoon tea & bottle of Champagne; 2 cases of NKD; notebook; bath rack; books; film Premiere; Broadchurch DVDs; lipbalms; hamper (food/wine/Echo Dot/Jo Malone goodies); Avon lippies; cowhide rug; Windsor luxury break, foundation
    • Fiesto88
    • By Fiesto88 11th Sep 17, 5:01 PM
    • 48 Posts
    • 26 Thanks
    Fiesto88
    • #9
    • 11th Sep 17, 5:01 PM
    • #9
    • 11th Sep 17, 5:01 PM
    I would be more inclined to ask the EA to call the vendor to see if they've heard from their conveyancer. Surely they can't have some daft excuse not to do that much.

    We're in contact with our vendor but they're using an online EA so direct contact was initiated right at the beginning - and even so, I have to steel myself before contacting them as I always worry that it'll be one nag too many and they'll get annoyed.
    • ThePants999
    • By ThePants999 11th Sep 17, 5:05 PM
    • 791 Posts
    • 894 Thanks
    ThePants999
    I've tried speaking to the EA but he says now that we've involved our solicitor in the query, he can no longer get involved!
    Originally posted by Returntosender
    As Surrey_EA said, this is a total lie. Tell him that you're considering pulling out, and watch him jump all over this.

    I've just found the vendor's phone number on some documents - would I be within my rights to give her a call myself?
    Originally posted by Returntosender
    There's no such concepts as "rights" when it comes to talking to someone. The real question is, what will happen if you do? Hard to predict, so I'd exhaust other avenues first. But if I felt I'd hit a dead end with the solicitors and the EA, I'd go for it.
    • deannatrois
    • By deannatrois 11th Sep 17, 5:13 PM
    • 4,741 Posts
    • 6,674 Thanks
    deannatrois
    While ringing the vendor could be of benefit.., if they are odd people like me, they might hate a phone call - from anyone. It hasn't actually been that long. I know that may not be what you want to hear.

    But I agree.., your EA is talking nonsense. I probably would be asking to clarify what he said with the manager. This is when EAs are supposed to be earning their money.., helping the sale along!
    • cjdavies
    • By cjdavies 11th Sep 17, 5:55 PM
    • 2,567 Posts
    • 2,514 Thanks
    cjdavies
    If our solicitor chases up and nothing happens, is there anything I can do? I feel like finding the vendor's phone number and asking her directly to hurry the hell up!
    Originally posted by Returntosender
    Not a good idea, if I was the vendor, I would most likely won't be so nice - not clean house or something else.
    • Surrey_EA
    • By Surrey_EA 11th Sep 17, 6:00 PM
    • 1,056 Posts
    • 1,249 Thanks
    Surrey_EA
    Doesn't matter if only one in the chain, it still averages around 12 weeks. As much needs doing as if there were 6 (okay, you might avoid probs, but always base it on 12 weeks-ish).


    The EA was talking out of his @rse (as they often do). August was very optimistic.
    Originally posted by hazyjo
    Completely agree. Many of the frustrations people have with the house buying/selling process come back to unrealistic expectations. A sale agreed at the end of June should be expecting to exchange late September, by the average measure.
    • Returntosender
    • By Returntosender 11th Sep 17, 6:17 PM
    • 26 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    Returntosender
    The Vendor has written in the contract that she'd like to complete by end of August - so I think that came from her wanting a quick sale - as her EA has said numerous times. The EA I'm dealing with IS the branch manager!

    I'm getting conflicting info - my solicitor (or rather, someone at the firm - I rarely get hold of my actual case handler) told me that the vendor's solicitor can confirm that there's no premium on the insurance and that's all they keep telling me. I've asked for specifics like which insurance firm it's with and how much the annual insurance cost is. This isn't asking too much, as far as I'm concerned - and it should be an easy query to sort so I don't know why it's taking so long, or who is responsible for the delay - I asked weeks ago for this very basic information.

    The rush is/was that my partner is a school teacher and has/had the entire summer off - the end of august was perfect for us as he would be able to help move us in during that time. However, he's now back at work and cannot take time off to move us to the new house, meaning it'll be over weekends, which is more costly and more difficult.
    • goodwithsaving
    • By goodwithsaving 11th Sep 17, 6:43 PM
    • 617 Posts
    • 911 Thanks
    goodwithsaving
    I've asked for specifics like which insurance firm it's with and how much the annual insurance cost is. This isn't asking too much, as far as I'm concerned .
    Originally posted by Returntosender
    Why do you need this? Do you own comparison quote. I've never asked for this. The only need for it would be if you had received information regarding known problems insuring the property.

    It is evident you haven't been through this process before. I'm the same timescale and am frustrated as hell but I knew it'd take longer than I wanted it to, it always does. You should have had your expectations managed. And no, it won't have been written 'in the contract', it may be on the property forms - as my requested exchange of late August was - but it isn't in The Contract at all. You don't have Rights to call someone who hasn't provided their number, they have employed an EA so they don't have to deal with you directly. Why would they pay thousands of pounds otherwise.
    What your EA said was a load of rubbish, he can chase solicitors even once a discussion has begun.
    I appreciate you're frustrated but thinking you're entitled to move on a certain date helps no-one. Chill out a bit. This is the easy one - next time you'll have to both buy and sell.
    Every time you borrow money, you’re robbing your future self. –Nathan W. Morris
    • thecoffeehouse204
    • By thecoffeehouse204 11th Sep 17, 6:54 PM
    • 155 Posts
    • 217 Thanks
    thecoffeehouse204
    Why do you need this? Do you own comparison quote. I've never asked for this. The only need for it would be if you had received information regarding known problems insuring the property.

    It is evident you haven't been through this process before. I'm the same timescale and am frustrated as hell but I knew it'd take longer than I wanted it to, it always does. You should have had your expectations managed. And no, it won't have been written 'in the contract', it may be on the property forms - as my requested exchange of late August was - but it isn't in The Contract at all. You don't have Rights to call someone who hasn't provided their number, they have employed an EA so they don't have to deal with you directly. Why would they pay thousands of pounds otherwise.
    What your EA said was a load of rubbish, he can chase solicitors even once a discussion has begun.
    I appreciate you're frustrated but thinking you're entitled to move on a certain date helps no-one. Chill out a bit. This is the easy one - next time you'll have to both buy and sell.
    Originally posted by goodwithsaving
    I think the OP said the house has been underpinned so can understand the need for the information.
    • goodwithsaving
    • By goodwithsaving 11th Sep 17, 6:56 PM
    • 617 Posts
    • 911 Thanks
    goodwithsaving
    I think the OP said the house has been underpinned so can understand the need for the information.
    Originally posted by thecoffeehouse204
    Ah. Apologies.
    Every time you borrow money, you’re robbing your future self. –Nathan W. Morris
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 11th Sep 17, 7:48 PM
    • 9,510 Posts
    • 11,995 Thanks
    hazyjo
    My ex husband was a teacher and got one day off to move house. Check with his work. Or delay it until October and take the pressure off everyone. This is not to be rushed. If there are issues, which there seem to be, it will take longer.
    2017 wins: Opera tickets; film preview; lipstick; Ideal Home Show tickets + afternoon tea & bottle of Champagne; 2 cases of NKD; notebook; bath rack; books; film Premiere; Broadchurch DVDs; lipbalms; hamper (food/wine/Echo Dot/Jo Malone goodies); Avon lippies; cowhide rug; Windsor luxury break, foundation
    • dpearson86
    • By dpearson86 11th Sep 17, 7:49 PM
    • 32 Posts
    • 32 Thanks
    dpearson86
    Regarding you wanting to know who the insurance is with I can kind of see them not telling you because there's no need to, it's not part of the purchase and their insurance can't be transferred (I've had enquiries from customers wanting to do this - working in insurance broking).

    Insurers who can deal with properties that have been underpinned, Towergate, Swinton used to have a scheme (not sure if they still do).
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,851Posts Today

8,165Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

  • Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

  • Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

  • Follow Martin