Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • tommix
    • By tommix 11th Sep 17, 2:28 PM
    • 35,336Posts
    • 142,208Thanks
    tommix
    It's a diabolical liberty!
    • 11th Sep 17, 2:28 PM
    It's a diabolical liberty! 11th Sep 17 at 2:28 PM
    What's your favourite diabolical liberty?

Mine's paying £4 for a bottle of mineral water in a Surrey pub...
Page 2
    • colinw
    • By colinw 16th Sep 17, 2:35 PM
    • 49,913 Posts
    • 136,541 Thanks
    colinw
    It's a diabolical liberty I have taken this thread off topic....sorry tommix
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 16th Sep 17, 2:39 PM
    • 28,945 Posts
    • 105,923 Thanks
    Pyxis
    Originally posted by colinw
    He won't mind....... he'll just call you Calum and tell you you're a honey!
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, P.P..
    ¥ ¥ ¥
    X ~O
    • tommix
    • By tommix 16th Sep 17, 3:27 PM
    • 35,336 Posts
    • 142,208 Thanks
    tommix

By the way, it's a diabolical liberty how someone who's known me as long as you have, can't even get my name right!
    Originally posted by Pyxis
    No sweetness, it is you who can't spell your name right! The 'confederation of british pixies' have got the right hump with you!

Composite 5 of the CBP clearly states 'We pixies have got the right hump with the pixie calling herself 'pyxis'

So there!
    • tommix
    • By tommix 16th Sep 17, 3:41 PM
    • 35,336 Posts
    • 142,208 Thanks
    tommix
    Originally posted by colinw
    Not at all colin..Your 'diabolical liberty' is perfectly valid..You pay thousands to fly half way round the world and they can't even throw in a free Tea Bag..

Btw..I hear Earl Grey enjoys a pint of Tetleys when he's up in Yorkshire..You live up that way Colin, if you see him, tell him to sort it out!
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 16th Sep 17, 4:09 PM
    • 28,945 Posts
    • 105,923 Thanks
    Pyxis
    No sweetness, it is you who can't spell your name right! The 'confederation of british pixies' have got the right hump with you!

Composite 5 of the CBP clearly states 'We pixies have got the right hump with the pixie calling herself 'pyxis'

So there!
    Originally posted by tommix
    you'll be pixillated if you're not careful!

Don't let CalumColin hear you referring to him as coming from Yorkshire! He'll tie you to the Tyne Bridge and throw empty Newcastle Brown Ale bottles at you!
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

¥ ¥ ¥
    X ~O
    • zagubov
    • By zagubov 16th Sep 17, 11:31 PM
    • 14,758 Posts
    • 126,063 Thanks
    zagubov
    I think easyJet have come on a long way. Prices are good, online booking is easy and clear, online check-in opens 30 days in advance, free seat allocation at the online Check-in with the option to pay for a selected seat. Cabin crew are always pleasant, and I can't remember any problems we've had with them.

Flying with BA for the first time in a while to Alicante in November, so will see what they're currently like.

Can't comment on Ryan Air, and can't see us flying with them in the future.
    Originally posted by PompeyPete
    Well one of those airlines was questioning whether they should pay to have copilots on their flights, so I know which one i'll trust my family's lives with when I next have to book a flight.
    There is no honour to be had in not knowing a thing that can be known - Danny Baker
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 17th Sep 17, 7:34 AM
    • 28,945 Posts
    • 105,923 Thanks
    Pyxis
    I thought that having co-pilots on airline planes over a certain size (i.e. most of them) was a statutory requirement?

If so, then how could an airline duck out if it?

I've been in a very small plane going to Jersey that only had one pilot, but it was tiny.

Interesting too, because the plane was so small, there wasn't a separate cabin for the pilot, so you could see everything he was doing!

It was so tiny, there wasn't an aisle either! The plane was a tube that was only two seats wide. Every four seats had its own external door, and one seat could be tilted forward , as in a car, so that people could get into the two 'back' seats first.

The luggage just got stacked at the back.
    Two people had a Labrador with them. Dogs go at the back with their owners. I think it had its own seat.

At the start, the pilot handed out earmuffs for anyone who wanted one as the plane was quite noisy. I didn't bother. Later on, the pilot handed round some sweets. We had to pass them to each other over the seats!

The whole plane looked like it was made of meccano!

It was great fun!

And I congratulated the pilot on just about the lightest landing I'd ever experienced!

This was about 12 years ago, I think, although memory is bad.

Can't remember the name of the plane, but I've got a feeling it's only just been taken out of service.

Edit.......

I think it was this one:
    The BN-2A Mk III Islander

Although wiki says it was retired in 2011 and I'm sure it was later than that, so it might have been another one.
    This one does have the two-seat/separate doors configuration, though, and this one looks far less Heath-Robinson than the one I flew in!
    Last edited by Pyxis; 17-09-2017 at 8:03 AM.
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

¥ ¥ ¥
    X ~O
    • colinw
    • By colinw 17th Sep 17, 8:38 PM
    • 49,913 Posts
    • 136,541 Thanks
    colinw
    you'll be pixillated if you're not careful!

Don't let CalumColin hear you referring to him as coming from Yorkshire! He'll tie you to the Tyne Bridge and throw empty Newcastle Brown Ale bottles at you!
    Originally posted by Pyxis
    Well one of those airlines was questioning whether they should pay to have copilots on their flights, so I know which one i'll trust my family's lives with when I next have to book a flight.
    Originally posted by zagubov
    Well Earl Grey has a monument right in the middle of Newcastle City Centre not diabolical at all
    • Spendless
    • By Spendless 17th Sep 17, 9:05 PM
    • 19,510 Posts
    • 31,528 Thanks
    Spendless
    I don't know! All bottles were clear and reusable, not like they were bought with a drink in them to start with. I seem to be always randomly selected to do a full search on me. Is it because I am travelling alone?
    Originally posted by ScarletMarble
    The size perhaps? We travelled to Florida last month from EM airport. The man in front of me had his bag checked because he had put some edible items (can't remember what) inside an empty yoghurt ot. It was the size of the yoghurt pot that had been picked up on. It ended up being thrown away.

I can't decide between 2, the pricing of some toiletry sprays my DD likes (Hollister?) and the pricing is something like £11 for 1 but £18 for 3.

My other one is DD's school going over to sole supplier for uniform but managing to select a skirt that only comes in one length size, it's above the knee on my 5ft nothing daughter, so you can imagine where it sits on taller girls. So, I get to pay a fortune for something I wouldn't have bought for school!
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 17th Sep 17, 9:16 PM
    • 28,945 Posts
    • 105,923 Thanks
    Pyxis
    I haven't been able to find anything online to suggest that empty water bottles aren't allowed through security. Anything I did find said the complete opposite, so I'm totally at a loss to understand why Scarlett's bottles were confiscated.

There was one suggestion that it might be better to have the empty bottle outside the hand luggage, and another suggestion was to take the top off it to show it was empty.
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

¥ ¥ ¥
    X ~O
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

201Posts Today

1,672Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin