Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • tommix
    • By tommix 11th Sep 17, 2:28 PM
    • 35,336Posts
    • 142,208Thanks
    tommix
    It's a diabolical liberty!
    • 11th Sep 17, 2:28 PM
    It's a diabolical liberty! 11th Sep 17 at 2:28 PM
    What's your favourite diabolical liberty?

Mine's paying £4 for a bottle of mineral water in a Surrey pub...
Page 1
    • Growurown
    • By Growurown 11th Sep 17, 3:14 PM
    • 5,307 Posts
    • 15,044 Thanks
    Growurown
    • 11th Sep 17, 3:14 PM
    • 11th Sep 17, 3:14 PM
    Picking my own fruit and then having to pay for it!
    DMP Mutual Support Thread No. 421

Debt free date 25/11/2015 - Made It!
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 16th Sep 17, 6:48 AM
    • 28,945 Posts
    • 105,923 Thanks
    Pyxis
    • 16th Sep 17, 6:48 AM
    • 16th Sep 17, 6:48 AM
    At Heathrow Terminal 5, not only did I have to check myself in, but at the bagdrop, that was automated too, and I had to put the sticky label on my suitcase MYSELF!
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, P.P..
    ¥ ¥ ¥
    X ~O
    • Chris25
    • By Chris25 16th Sep 17, 6:58 AM
    • 12,511 Posts
    • 12,083 Thanks
    Chris25
    • 16th Sep 17, 6:58 AM
    • 16th Sep 17, 6:58 AM
    paying an admin fee or transaction fee for each ticket when you buy several concert/theatre tickets together!

You poor thing Pyx, that, indeed is diabolical
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 16th Sep 17, 7:44 AM
    • 28,945 Posts
    • 105,923 Thanks
    Pyxis
    • 16th Sep 17, 7:44 AM
    • 16th Sep 17, 7:44 AM
    paying an admin fee or transaction fee for each ticket when you buy several concert/theatre tickets together!

You poor thing Pyx, that, indeed is diabolical
    Originally posted by Chris25
    Those fees are a complete rip-off.
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

¥ ¥ ¥
    X ~O
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 16th Sep 17, 9:42 AM
    • 22,337 Posts
    • 57,305 Thanks
    pollypenny
    • 16th Sep 17, 9:42 AM
    • 16th Sep 17, 9:42 AM
    At Heathrow Terminal 5, not only did I have to check myself in, but at the bagdrop, that was automated too, and I had to put the sticky label on my suitcase MYSELF!
    Originally posted by Pyxis

We had to do that in Philadelphia Airport in January. This was after checking in on-line before, too.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 16th Sep 17, 10:30 AM
    • 28,945 Posts
    • 105,923 Thanks
    Pyxis
    • 16th Sep 17, 10:30 AM
    • 16th Sep 17, 10:30 AM
    We had to do that in Philadelphia Airport in January. This was after checking in on-line before, too.
    Originally posted by pollypenny
    And what with the automated e-passport machines, I went right through without interacting with a single human being!
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

¥ ¥ ¥
    X ~O
    • ScarletMarble
    • By ScarletMarble 16th Sep 17, 11:11 AM
    • 7,138 Posts
    • 13,049 Thanks
    ScarletMarble
    • 16th Sep 17, 11:11 AM
    • 16th Sep 17, 11:11 AM
    Paying a card fee when paying by card and you can ONLY pay with a card too!
    • ScarletMarble
    • By ScarletMarble 16th Sep 17, 11:15 AM
    • 7,138 Posts
    • 13,049 Thanks
    ScarletMarble
    • 16th Sep 17, 11:15 AM
    • 16th Sep 17, 11:15 AM
    Paying stupid amounts for bottles of water and fizzy drink once past security.

I dare not bring an empty sports bottle as I know three people who had them taken off them at three different airports. My colleague had her empty sports bottle taken off her at the airport Im flying from tomorrow in May or June.
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 16th Sep 17, 11:21 AM
    • 28,945 Posts
    • 105,923 Thanks
    Pyxis
    Paying stupid amounts for bottles of water and fizzy drink once past security.

I dare not bring an empty sports bottle as I know three people who had them taken off them at three different airports. My colleague had her empty sports bottle taken off her at the airport Im flying from tomorrow in May or June.
    Originally posted by ScarletMarble
    I took an empty bottle through at T5 Heathrow two weeks ago with no problem, and filled it up at a drinking water point.
    It was a permanent reusable bottle, though, and see-through, not just an empty water bottle. That might make a difference, though I don't see why.

What's the logic in removing someone's empty bottle?
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

¥ ¥ ¥
    X ~O
    • ScarletMarble
    • By ScarletMarble 16th Sep 17, 11:53 AM
    • 7,138 Posts
    • 13,049 Thanks
    ScarletMarble
    I took an empty bottle through at T5 Heathrow two weeks ago with no problem, and filled it up at a drinking water point.
    It was a permanent reusable bottle, though, and see-through, not just an empty water bottle. That might make a difference, though I don't see why.

What's the logic in removing someone's empty bottle?
    I don't know! All bottles were clear and reusable, not like they were bought with a drink in them to start with. I seem to be always randomly selected to do a full search on me. Is it because I am travelling alone?
    • MothballsWallet
    • By MothballsWallet 16th Sep 17, 11:53 AM
    • 11,222 Posts
    • 14,749 Thanks
    MothballsWallet
    Theresa May sending me 2 letters before the general election asking begging me to vote for her candidate (who didn't even bother dropping a leaflet through the door until at least a week after the 2nd letter).

Yeah, Mrs May, I'd rather get AIDS than vote for your party!
    Always ask yourself one question: What would Gibbs do?
    Married to an immigrant.
    • tommix
    • By tommix 16th Sep 17, 1:15 PM
    • 35,336 Posts
    • 142,208 Thanks
    tommix
    Pixie, you've taken a diabolical liberty ressurecting my groundbreaking thread about peoples favourite diabolical liberties!

Personally I think it was a diabolical liberty that only one person responded to my groundbreaking thread when I posted it 5 days ago..

Like 'Linda lovelace', I thought it would go down a treat..Not so, damn thing went down faster than Richard Branson in one of his poxy balloons!

Anyway..Thanks for putting my thread back on the map again Pyx..You're a honey!x
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 16th Sep 17, 1:49 PM
    • 28,945 Posts
    • 105,923 Thanks
    Pyxis
    I don't know! All bottles were clear and reusable, not like they were bought with a drink in them to start with. I seem to be always randomly selected to do a full search on me. Is it because I am travelling alone?
    Originally posted by ScarletMarble
    I travel alone too, and went through a spell of always being searched, but the last three or four times I haven't, so I don't think it's that. And once or twice I was searched when I did happen to be with someone else.

I think that searches are carried out at random, as well as if they have any suspicions.

It may also be that in order to avoid being biased towards searching any particular ethnic group, sex, or age group, they might have a quota to search others whether suspicious or not.

There was one time when I had an extremely early flight, was still half-asleep and so was a bit slow and vague on answering the question "where are you travelling to?" I walked through the thing and set it off.

On my return flight, a lot more compus mentis, I was wearing exactly the same clothes, shoes, jewellery etc, and didn't set it off.
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

¥ ¥ ¥
    X ~O
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 16th Sep 17, 1:53 PM
    • 28,945 Posts
    • 105,923 Thanks
    Pyxis
    Pixie, you've taken a diabolical liberty ressurecting my groundbreaking thread about peoples favourite diabolical liberties!

Personally I think it was a diabolical liberty that only one person responded to my groundbreaking thread when I posted it 5 days ago..

Like 'Linda lovelace', I thought it would go down a treat..Not so, damn thing went down faster than Richard Branson in one of his poxy balloons!

Anyway..Thanks for putting my thread back on the map again Pyx..You're a honey!x
    Originally posted by tommix
    I have my uses!

Interesting how I can veer from being a diabolical liberty to being a honey in only five sentences!

By the way, it's a diabolical liberty how someone who's known me as long as you have, can't even get my name right!
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

¥ ¥ ¥
    X ~O
    • colinw
    • By colinw 16th Sep 17, 1:59 PM
    • 49,913 Posts
    • 136,541 Thanks
    colinw
    British Airways are a diabolical liberty these days! Charging for food and drinks on some flights and charging for two tea bags if you want a strong cup of tea
    • PompeyPete
    • By PompeyPete 16th Sep 17, 2:02 PM
    • 4,541 Posts
    • 5,887 Thanks
    PompeyPete
    Same with easyJet at LGW North Terminal. I don't mind, there's plenty of machines, it's straightforward, and off you go to Security in no time. Next one due in 10 days, not that I'm on countdown.
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 16th Sep 17, 2:05 PM
    • 28,945 Posts
    • 105,923 Thanks
    Pyxis
    British Airways are a diabolical liberty these days! Charging for food and drinks on some flights and charging for two tea bags if you want a strong cup of tea
    Originally posted by colinw
    Another BA d. liberty is having food offered for sale in their brochure, and then not having it on board.
    I wanted the yogurt berry granola, but was told they only have it on breakfast-time flights.
    YET they had loads of blimmin' PORRIDGE!
    Porridge is more of a breakfast food than yogurt!
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

¥ ¥ ¥
    X ~O
    • colinw
    • By colinw 16th Sep 17, 2:06 PM
    • 49,913 Posts
    • 136,541 Thanks
    colinw
    Same with easyJet at LGW North Terminal. I don't mind, there's plenty of machines, it's straightforward, and off you go to Security in no time. Next one due in 10 days, not that I'm on countdown.
    Originally posted by PompeyPete
    I think it's fine with bargain flyers as it would be expected from EasyJet or Ryanair but I suspect Pyxis is talking about BA who you expect more from, I think they are losing their identity, you turn up hardly see anyone, get on the plane and there all the staff are interested in is flogging you food. They are living off a reputation they used to have, they are Spanish owned now anyway, time they renamed themselves.
    • PompeyPete
    • By PompeyPete 16th Sep 17, 2:26 PM
    • 4,541 Posts
    • 5,887 Thanks
    PompeyPete
    I think easyJet have come on a long way. Prices are good, online booking is easy and clear, online check-in opens 30 days in advance, free seat allocation at the online Check-in with the option to pay for a selected seat. Cabin crew are always pleasant, and I can't remember any problems we've had with them.

Flying with BA for the first time in a while to Alicante in November, so will see what they're currently like.

Can't comment on Ryan Air, and can't see us flying with them in the future.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

380Posts Today

3,631Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin