Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • PollySouthend
    • By PollySouthend 11th Sep 17, 2:17 PM
    • 377Posts
    • 841Thanks
    PollySouthend
    Policeman rear ended me at a junction and wrote off my car
    • 11th Sep 17, 2:17 PM
    Policeman rear ended me at a junction and wrote off my car 11th Sep 17 at 2:17 PM
    He was pretty unpleasant after it happened and didn't apologize or anything.

I had to wait a few hours for an independent police person to arrive. He said he would breathalyse us both.

I had already had several hours driving so after the waiting around on the roadside I was happy to just get away.

The new policeman didn't breathalyse either of us and I've received a letter that they take full responsibility. They have covered the cost of the car.

I haven't claimed for anything else even though I had bad whiplash for a week and it's still persisting 3 weeks later.

I think the one that wrote off my car might have been over the limit. Is there anything I can do now? Did they follow prodecure by not breathalusing us?
Page 4
    • Stoke
    • By Stoke 13th Sep 17, 4:10 PM
    • 1,821 Posts
    • 647 Thanks
    Stoke
    https://www.spectator.co.uk/2015/03/the-shocking-truth-about-police-corruption-in-britain/

Yikes......
    • ado
    • By ado 13th Sep 17, 5:28 PM
    • 1,243 Posts
    • 2,752 Thanks
    ado
    The MPS has 43000 staff so 73 being disciplined in a two year period is 0.08% per year, which is hardly endemic corruption or evidence of mass wrong doing despite the title of the article being 'the Shocking Truth about Police Corruption' but then what do you really expect from a DM journalist writing in the Spectator.
    • Stoke
    • By Stoke 14th Sep 17, 9:40 AM
    • 1,821 Posts
    • 647 Thanks
    Stoke
    The MPS has 43000 staff so 73 being disciplined in a two year period is 0.08% per year, which is hardly endemic corruption or evidence of mass wrong doing despite the title of the article being 'the Shocking Truth about Police Corruption' but then what do you really expect from a DM journalist writing in the Spectator.
    Originally posted by ado
    I think the point of the article is to suggest that the police are unwilling to regulate themselves. 73 have been disciplined because the others have been covered up.

Dunna worry Sarge, we all get it.
    • Car 54
    • By Car 54 14th Sep 17, 10:15 AM
    • 2,225 Posts
    • 1,421 Thanks
    Car 54
    Originally posted by ado
    The report actually says "the Met suspended 73 coppers, community support officers and other staff on corruption charges in the past two years.... Eleven were convicted in court, but what happened to the others? ... some were allowed to resign or retire (presumably with full pension rights) and some were dismissed."

Suspended does not imply guilt, and it is not a punishment, simply a removal from duties while an investigation is held. So all we know for sure (assuming the report is accurate) is that 11 were convicted, and some of the remainding 62 were dismissed, some resigned or retired, and (presumably) some were exonerated.

But that wouldn't have made for quite such a sensational article.
    • Stoke
    • By Stoke 14th Sep 17, 11:40 AM
    • 1,821 Posts
    • 647 Thanks
    Stoke
    The report actually says "the Met suspended 73 coppers, community support officers and other staff on corruption charges in the past two years.... Eleven were convicted in court, but what happened to the others? ... some were allowed to resign or retire (presumably with full pension rights) and some were dismissed."

Suspended does not imply guilt, and it is not a punishment, simply a removal from duties while an investigation is held. So all we know for sure (assuming the report is accurate) is that 11 were convicted, and some of the remainding 62 were dismissed, some resigned or retired, and (presumably) some were exonerated.

But that wouldn't have made for quite such a sensational article.
    Originally posted by Car 54
    And many of those not included in the statistics were covered up, whistleblowers intimidated etc.
    • Warwick Hunt
    • By Warwick Hunt 14th Sep 17, 5:15 PM
    • 219 Posts
    • 110 Thanks
    Warwick Hunt
    And many of those not included in the statistics were covered up, whistleblowers intimidated etc.
    Originally posted by Stoke
    Is that just a generalisation from reading the daily mail or are you basing it on something else?
    • Car 54
    • By Car 54 14th Sep 17, 5:57 PM
    • 2,225 Posts
    • 1,421 Thanks
    Car 54
    Originally posted by Stoke
    Where is the evidence for that? The quoted article says: "Nearly half of 17,200 officers and staff surveyed said that if they discovered corruption among their colleagues and chose to report it, they didn’t believe their evidence would be treated in confidence and would fear ‘adverse consequences'"

Note the words underlined. Not facts, but speculation.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

268Posts Today

1,329Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin