Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • PollySouthend
    • By PollySouthend 11th Sep 17, 2:17 PM
    • 377Posts
    • 841Thanks
    PollySouthend
    Policeman rear ended me at a junction and wrote off my car
    • 11th Sep 17, 2:17 PM
    Policeman rear ended me at a junction and wrote off my car 11th Sep 17 at 2:17 PM
    He was pretty unpleasant after it happened and didn't apologize or anything.

I had to wait a few hours for an independent police person to arrive. He said he would breathalyse us both.

I had already had several hours driving so after the waiting around on the roadside I was happy to just get away.

The new policeman didn't breathalyse either of us and I've received a letter that they take full responsibility. They have covered the cost of the car.

I haven't claimed for anything else even though I had bad whiplash for a week and it's still persisting 3 weeks later.

I think the one that wrote off my car might have been over the limit. Is there anything I can do now? Did they follow prodecure by not breathalusing us?
Page 2
    • Stoke
    • By Stoke 11th Sep 17, 10:37 PM
    • 1,838 Posts
    • 653 Thanks
    Stoke
    you were lucky, a friend was rear ended by an unmarked police car when she changed lanes the police were doing over 100mph with no lights and sirens on, she had 3 kids in the car and all went to hospital her nose was broken and the police car was "spirited" away immediately afterwards, no one was breathalysed and the police refused to name the person driving at the time. She went to court for damages and the police lied through their back teeth about the circumstances of the accident and even tried to accuse her of careless driving!! biggest gang in the country that lot and if I were you I would be grateful they aren't trying to say you reversed into them !!!
    Originally posted by kaya
    None of that surprises me, but MSE is very pro police so don't expect anyone to take you seriously.
    • cjdavies
    • By cjdavies 11th Sep 17, 10:48 PM
    • 2,586 Posts
    • 2,530 Thanks
    cjdavies
    you were lucky, a friend was rear ended by an unmarked police car when she changed lanes the police were doing over 100mph with no lights and sirens on, she had 3 kids in the car and all went to hospital her nose was broken and the police car was "spirited" away immediately afterwards, no one was breathalysed and the police refused to name the person driving at the time. She went to court for damages and the police lied through their back teeth about the circumstances of the accident and even tried to accuse her of careless driving!! biggest gang in the country that lot and if I were you I would be grateful they aren't trying to say you reversed into them !!!
    Originally posted by kaya
    None of that surprises me, but MSE is very pro police so don't expect anyone to take you seriously.
    Originally posted by Stoke
    It's kind of hard too, the bold bit suggests she failed to check before changing lane.
    • Stoke
    • By Stoke 11th Sep 17, 10:59 PM
    • 1,838 Posts
    • 653 Thanks
    Stoke
    It's kind of hard too, the bold bit suggests she failed to check before changing lane.
    Originally posted by cjdavies
    Ah so it's ok to do 100mph if you're a copper. The privileged gang
    • Warwick Hunt
    • By Warwick Hunt 11th Sep 17, 11:24 PM
    • 238 Posts
    • 116 Thanks
    Warwick Hunt
    At times yes.
    • cjdavies
    • By cjdavies 11th Sep 17, 11:31 PM
    • 2,586 Posts
    • 2,530 Thanks
    cjdavies
    Did I say it was?
    • Mercdriver
    • By Mercdriver 11th Sep 17, 11:52 PM
    • 1,372 Posts
    • 911 Thanks
    Mercdriver
    Quite a generalisation to make. Just because we aren't protesting about living in a police state, doesn't mean the police can do no wrong.

There are a few that maintain the police can do no right, however.
    • Mercdriver
    • By Mercdriver 11th Sep 17, 11:54 PM
    • 1,372 Posts
    • 911 Thanks
    Mercdriver
    It all depends. If someone you cared about was depending on the police getting somewhere quickly you would want them to get there as quickly as possible.

Instead some on here would just say they are late for their doughnuts.
    • debtdebt
    • By debtdebt 11th Sep 17, 11:57 PM
    • 276 Posts
    • 169 Thanks
    debtdebt
    Yes but one thing is for sure, if it was the other way around the officer would have already been on to the special department within the force that looks after such compensation claims.

An ex-officer friend of mine recounted a tale when hit from behind in slow moving traffic his colleague immediately said "thats the new kitchen paid for" - and it was!
    Originally posted by Ant555
    And your point is? If you've been rear ended and suffered injury, you're entitled to compensation for the pain, suffering and loss of amenity you've suffered. What you spend it on is your own business. A new kitchen, coke and hookers, whatever you want.
    Last edited by debtdebt; 12-09-2017 at 12:01 AM.
    • treboeth
    • By treboeth 12th Sep 17, 12:53 AM
    • 852 Posts
    • 927 Thanks
    treboeth
    And your point is? If you've been rear ended and suffered injury, you're entitled to compensation for the pain, suffering and loss of amenity you've suffered. What you spend it on is your own business. A new kitchen, coke and hookers, whatever you want.
    Originally posted by debtdebt
    Police officers would never spend money on these two items, would they

Last edited by treboeth; 12-09-2017 at 12:57 AM.
    • Stoke
    • By Stoke 12th Sep 17, 7:07 AM
    • 1,838 Posts
    • 653 Thanks
    Stoke
    Quite a generalisation to make. Just because we aren't protesting about living in a police state, doesn't mean the police can do no wrong.

There are a few that maintain the police can do no right, however.
    Originally posted by Mercdriver
    When I spoke about systemic corruption, I was instantly shouted at, probably be police who use this site.
    • macman
    • By macman 12th Sep 17, 9:02 AM
    • 41,290 Posts
    • 16,954 Thanks
    macman
    I'm unclear: was the OP hit by a police car, complete with on-duty policeman, or by a car that happened to be driven by a policeman who was off-duty?
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
    • Stoke
    • By Stoke 12th Sep 17, 9:18 AM
    • 1,838 Posts
    • 653 Thanks
    Stoke
    I'm unclear: was the OP hit by a police car, complete with on-duty policeman, or by a car that happened to be driven by a policeman who was off-duty?
    Originally posted by macman
    I think the suggestion is they were hit by a police car. I assume being an off duty policeman in their own vehicle, makes them just an ordinary citizen.... albeit slightly above the law?
    • Guest101
    • By Guest101 12th Sep 17, 10:32 AM
    • 15,143 Posts
    • 14,757 Thanks
    Guest101
    It's for any accident they attend.
    Originally posted by Warwick Hunt
    Yes but they usually only attend for injuries and road blockages, which is what I said.........
    • Car 54
    • By Car 54 12th Sep 17, 10:33 AM
    • 2,237 Posts
    • 1,435 Thanks
    Car 54
    Originally posted by macman
    Does it matter? The OP's question was "Is there anything I can do now?", to which the answer is to make a personal injury claim against the driver.
    • Guest101
    • By Guest101 12th Sep 17, 10:36 AM
    • 15,143 Posts
    • 14,757 Thanks
    Guest101
    I didn't notice that the first time I read your post, I'm guessing you didn't read the title.
    Originally posted by Warwick Hunt
    Wow.... no I read it.

But did the police arrive as part of standard procedure when a police vehicle is involved in an accident?

OR was it because their were injuries?

Or was is a simple internal procedure for insurance purposes....
    • Mercdriver
    • By Mercdriver 12th Sep 17, 10:43 AM
    • 1,372 Posts
    • 911 Thanks
    Mercdriver
    When I spoke about systemic corruption, I was instantly shouted at, probably be police who use this site.
    Do you have any evidence of systematic corruption or are you as libellous as Tir?
    • ado
    • By ado 12th Sep 17, 10:46 AM
    • 1,243 Posts
    • 2,759 Thanks
    ado
    Wow.... no I read it.

But did the police arrive as part of standard procedure when a police vehicle is involved in an accident?

OR was it because their were injuries?

Or was is a simple internal procedure for insurance purposes....
    Originally posted by Guest101
    Yes to your point 1 and 3. It was a POLACC (police accident) and whenever one of those happens a sergeant attends and writes a report.
    • Stoke
    • By Stoke 12th Sep 17, 11:31 AM
    • 1,838 Posts
    • 653 Thanks
    Stoke
    Do you have any evidence of systematic corruption or are you as libellous as Tir?
    Originally posted by Mercdriver
    You realize that obtaining evidence of systematic corruption has taken a bunch of scousers 25 odd years?

Or are you one of those copper mates who think they were all just !!!!ed up and should get on with it?
    • Manxman in exile
    • By Manxman in exile 12th Sep 17, 11:41 AM
    • 820 Posts
    • 541 Thanks
    Manxman in exile
    Have you informed your insurers?
    • Guest101
    • By Guest101 12th Sep 17, 11:53 AM
    • 15,143 Posts
    • 14,757 Thanks
    Guest101
    You realize that obtaining evidence of systematic corruption has taken a bunch of scousers 25 odd years?

Or are you one of those copper mates who think they were all just !!!!ed up and should get on with it?

No it took them 25 years to charge 4 people - that does not a system make
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

286Posts Today

3,566Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin