Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Carmk2008
    • By Carmk2008 11th Sep 17, 1:36 PM
    • 155Posts
    • 48Thanks
    Carmk2008
    Vanguard life strategy
    • 11th Sep 17, 1:36 PM
    Vanguard life strategy 11th Sep 17 at 1:36 PM
    Can anyone point me in the right direction as to where I can find out what my VLS is returning through fidelity. I want to double the amount I am putting pm but would like check this first. Thanks.
Page 2
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 12th Sep 17, 1:10 PM
    • 7,237 Posts
    • 7,749 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    @anotherjoe I never once said that I was looking for a fund that went up every year (although that would be nice) it was merely for me to see past performances and perhaps some reassurance.
    Originally posted by Carmk2008
    Your started off by saying that you wanted to look at last months performance to decide if you should double your investment for the next 20 years.

Then you said you were reassured by the fact it went up for 5 years but if course it did because the markets did.

You still don't seem to understand that the performance of this fund is a direct reflection of the stock markets it's invested in. It's performance is not affected by management decisions in contrast to a fund managed by Smith or Woodward.

You may have some reassurance because it's gone up over 5 years but that's nothing to do with Vanguards management and it's false reassurance based on a llack of understanding. . It's all amd oniy to do with the markets. When the markets fall (which they will) so will this fund.

I'm not saying that's a bad thing but you seem to think that because the markets went up 5 years In a row they will continue to do so.
    • bowlhead99
    • By bowlhead99 12th Sep 17, 1:19 PM
    • 6,692 Posts
    • 11,891 Thanks
    bowlhead99
    @ duntosh maybe I worded that wrong I am aware of the risks and perfectly prepared to lose half the the value. This may change the more I have in it but as I have said before I am in this for 20 plus years.
    Sorry if it sounds like everyone is being overly critical or judgemental or treating you like someone who doesn't know what they are doing and needs some nannying.

But if you are fully aware of what the portfolio does, how it achieves it, and the range of outcomes you might get, and the fact that performance over five days or five months or five years is not representative of its likely long term performance, and you are going to buy and hold for two decades, why would you need to 'check how it is performing at a quick glance' before deciding whether to commit to doubling your monthly investment, as you were outlining in your first post?

That's why people have jumped on your comments and suggested that maybe you're not understanding what might happen to your holdings and highlighting the fact that short term is irrelevent. If you're OK with it, great.

The price is published daily on the Vanguard site as well as your own broker / platform's site. If you just wanted to know how it's performed since you got it, you could look on your online statement from your funds platform, which shows what you paid for your holding and what it's now worth. But looking at a flattering graph which just shows general upwards movements for the five or six years since the fund launched - and doesn't have any nasty drops because there haven't been any major or sustained market crashes and all the major foreign currencies are all worth more in sterling than they were a few years ago - doesn't really help you make any decisions, as it can't be extrapolated to the future like that.
    • Carmk2008
    • By Carmk2008 12th Sep 17, 1:52 PM
    • 155 Posts
    • 48 Thanks
    Carmk2008
    Your started off by saying that you wanted to look at last months performance to decide if you should double your investment for the next 20 years.

Then you said you were reassured by the fact it went up for 5 years but if course it did because the markets did.

You still don't seem to understand that the performance of this fund is a direct reflection of the stock markets it's invested in. It's performance is not affected by management decisions in contrast to a fund managed by Smith or Woodward.

You may have some reassurance because it's gone up over 5 years but that's nothing to do with Vanguards management and it's false reassurance based on a llack of understanding. . It's all amd oniy to do with the markets. When the markets fall (which they will) so will this fund.

I'm not saying that's a bad thing but you seem to think that because the markets went up 5 years In a row they will continue to do so.
    Originally posted by AnotherJoe
    I have never once thought that it will continue to rise after 5 years in a row of growth. I may not know much but I know that's not the case.
    • Carmk2008
    • By Carmk2008 12th Sep 17, 2:18 PM
    • 155 Posts
    • 48 Thanks
    Carmk2008
    I have never once thought that it will continue to rise after 5 years in a row of growth. I may not know much but I know that's not the case.
    Sorry if it sounds like everyone is being overly critical or judgemental or treating you like someone who doesn't know what they are doing and needs some nannying.

But if you are fully aware of what the portfolio does, how it achieves it, and the range of outcomes you might get, and the fact that performance over five days or five months or five years is not representative of its likely long term performance, and you are going to buy and hold for two decades, why would you need to 'check how it is performing at a quick glance' before deciding whether to commit to doubling your monthly investment, as you were outlining in your first post?

That's why people have jumped on your comments and suggested that maybe you're not understanding what might happen to your holdings and highlighting the fact that short term is irrelevent. If you're OK with it, great.

The price is published daily on the Vanguard site as well as your own broker / platform's site. If you just wanted to know how it's performed since you got it, you could look on your online statement from your funds platform, which shows what you paid for your holding and what it's now worth. But looking at a flattering graph which just shows general upwards movements for the five or six years since the fund launched - and doesn't have any nasty drops because there haven't been any major or sustained market crashes and all the major foreign currencies are all worth more in sterling than they were a few years ago - doesn't really help you make any decisions, as it can't be extrapolated to the future like that.
    Originally posted by bowlhead99
    Thanks firstly for not jumping on the bandwagon.

I will be the first to admit I know very little about investing hence the reason I choose VLS. I do know that what happened in the past doesn't mean it will happen in the future. I realize I used the wrong choice of words but as I said I am still green to this but hopefully over the next 20 plus years I will have learned what I need to know.

I was always going to double the amount going into it regardless of what past performances was since I don't hold a great deal at the moment a drop would be in my favour as I would be buying cheaper. But at the same time its always nice to see your money getting a return whether it be short term or not.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,437Posts Today

6,246Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin