Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Carmk2008
    • By Carmk2008 11th Sep 17, 1:36 PM
    • 155Posts
    • 48Thanks
    Carmk2008
    Vanguard life strategy
    • 11th Sep 17, 1:36 PM
    Vanguard life strategy 11th Sep 17 at 1:36 PM
    Can anyone point me in the right direction as to where I can find out what my VLS is returning through fidelity. I want to double the amount I am putting pm but would like check this first. Thanks.
Page 1
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 11th Sep 17, 1:45 PM
    • 89,460 Posts
    • 54,930 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 11th Sep 17, 1:45 PM
    • 11th Sep 17, 1:45 PM
    Fidelity have factsheets you can view on every fund they offer.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from a Financial Adviser local to you.
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 11th Sep 17, 1:55 PM
    • 7,227 Posts
    • 7,737 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    • 11th Sep 17, 1:55 PM
    • 11th Sep 17, 1:55 PM
    Any particular VLS fund will surely return the same wherever its held? So just look it up on any website.

Then there will be a charge/charges on top for the service its held within, which is separate and dependent on potentially multiple factors.

p.s. I note that you say you want to see what its returning. You can only see what its returned in the past. This is different to what it will return in the future.
    • Carmk2008
    • By Carmk2008 11th Sep 17, 2:39 PM
    • 155 Posts
    • 48 Thanks
    Carmk2008
    • 11th Sep 17, 2:39 PM
    • 11th Sep 17, 2:39 PM
    Yes I would like see what the fund has returned for the month or last quarter or however it done.
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 11th Sep 17, 2:54 PM
    • 89,460 Posts
    • 54,930 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 11th Sep 17, 2:54 PM
    • 11th Sep 17, 2:54 PM
    Yes I would like see what the fund has returned for the month or last quarter or however it done.
    Originally posted by Carmk2008
    You do realise that month or quarter are totally pointless when it comes to looking at performance?

They are far too short term to get any meaningful information from. Was it a good month, a bad month, a nothing month. With a typical economic cycle being over a decade nowadays, that was just 1/120th of the cycle. It really tells you nothing of any use.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from a Financial Adviser local to you.
    • Carmk2008
    • By Carmk2008 11th Sep 17, 3:04 PM
    • 155 Posts
    • 48 Thanks
    Carmk2008
    • 11th Sep 17, 3:04 PM
    • 11th Sep 17, 3:04 PM
    Yes I know that a month or quarterly is short and would be better looking at last 5-10 years. I am only looking for advice on where to look at how it's performing at a quick glance. I am in this for the long haul 20 plus years so I'm not going to make any decisions based on the last month although going by my post it may seem that way.
    • bostonerimus
    • By bostonerimus 11th Sep 17, 3:10 PM
    • 854 Posts
    • 427 Thanks
    bostonerimus
    • 11th Sep 17, 3:10 PM
    • 11th Sep 17, 3:10 PM
    Just go to

http://www.vanguard.co.uk

for example here is the overview for VLS80
    https://www.vanguardinvestor.co.uk/investments/vanguard-lifestrategy-80-equity-fund-accumulation-shares/overview

or type in VLSxx into Google and look at the morningstar, hargreaves or trustnet links that are close to the top.
    Misanthrope in search of similar for mutual loathing
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 11th Sep 17, 3:23 PM
    • 7,227 Posts
    • 7,737 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    • 11th Sep 17, 3:23 PM
    • 11th Sep 17, 3:23 PM
    Yes I know that a month or quarterly is short and would be better looking at last 5-10 years. I am only looking for advice on where to look at how it's performing at a quick glance. I am in this for the long haul 20 plus years so I'm not going to make any decisions based on the last month although going by my post it may seem that way.
    Seeing how it did last month isnt giving you any useful information at all. Indeed you dont really need to know how its done last week month or year anyway.

What you need to decide is, are you happy to invest in the world economy through an index fund?, (tilted towards the UK in the case of vanguard VLS), over the next 20 years.

If so, Vanguard is one of the cheapest ways of doing that. When you look at "Vanguards" performance you are really looking at the world economy's performance.

If VLS did "poorly" that just means that the world economy (more accurately, stockmarkets) overall did so. Any other index fund with a similar mix would have done the same. So seeing what it did last month tells you nothing unless you think knowing that world stockmarkets rose or fell x% last month means you should or shouldn't invest over the next 20 years. And if you think that, you shouldn't be investing.
    Last edited by AnotherJoe; 11-09-2017 at 3:25 PM.
    • Superscrooge
    • By Superscrooge 11th Sep 17, 3:24 PM
    • 852 Posts
    • 592 Thanks
    Superscrooge
    • 11th Sep 17, 3:24 PM
    • 11th Sep 17, 3:24 PM
    Can anyone point me in the right direction as to where I can find out what my VLS is returning through fidelity. I want to double the amount I am putting pm but would like check this first. Thanks.
    From the 'Funds,Trusts & ETF's' tab on the Fidelity homepage. If you select 'Chart & Compare' you can then search for whatever fund you are interested in and see how it has performed over any time period from 1 month to 5 years and compare it to the performance of other funds.
    • Carmk2008
    • By Carmk2008 11th Sep 17, 6:03 PM
    • 155 Posts
    • 48 Thanks
    Carmk2008
    From the 'Funds,Trusts & ETF's' tab on the Fidelity homepage. If you select 'Chart & Compare' you can then search for whatever fund you are interested in and see how it has performed over any time period from 1 month to 5 years and compare it to the performance of other funds.
    Originally posted by Superscrooge
    Thank you exactly what I'm looking for, going by that the VLS100 has consistently went up over the last 5years. I know it might be different over the next 5 years but all good so far
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 11th Sep 17, 7:46 PM
    • 89,460 Posts
    • 54,930 Thanks
    dunstonh
    Thank you exactly what I'm looking for, going by that the VLS100 has consistently went up over the last 5years. I know it might be different over the next 5 years but all good so far
    None of the Vanguard LS funds have been through a period of significant volality. They were launched after the last one.

VLS100 would be expected to lose just above half its value in events like the dot.com crash or the global recession. Had it existed previously, it would have been a consistent underperformer in the early/mid 2000s due to its heavy US weightings. That period say anything with heavy US weightings generally suffer a lag. The period you have invested has seen anything heavier in US do better.
    • A_T
    • By A_T 11th Sep 17, 9:27 PM
    • 181 Posts
    • 83 Thanks
    A_T
    The Vanguard US site shows how US Lifestrategy equivalents have done over the last 10 years. Although they don't have a 100% equity fund.
    • bowlhead99
    • By bowlhead99 11th Sep 17, 11:24 PM
    • 6,690 Posts
    • 11,884 Thanks
    bowlhead99
    The Vanguard US site shows how US Lifestrategy equivalents have done over the last 10 years. Although they don't have a 100% equity fund.
    Originally posted by A_T
    That's quite useful to give some context to the very high performance that resulted from the particular economic conditions experienced in the last few years by a GBP investor with high equities and high US allocation.

As you say, the US VLS page doesn't list a 100% equities version but the most aggressive one, "growth" is 80:20 equities to bonds.

The return for that over the last decade to August, a ten year economic cycle, including a major crash and some mini crashes and corrections, was a little under 5% annualised.

Compare that to the UK VLS80 over last five years which produced almost 80% return or something like 12.5% annualised for that period.

And then consider, if it might only be going to deliver on average 5% over the decade (and bear in mind that it could be worse than that), but in the first five years it already delivered +80%... how much of that will you have to perhaps "give back" to finish in line with your revised expectation for the decade.

As financial advisors like dunstonh are fond of saying, in investing it is not one way traffic - you get up years, down years and sideways/ nothing years. VLS will have given five or six good years in a row for an investor buying in at launch.

If the UK product had existed and they'd' been able to invest a couple of years earlier that would probably be seven or eight good years. To assume or even hope that would continue, rather than taking the turn of having the bad years or nothing years, is pretty naive. The 10 year return from the US product history tells the story of what you might have to accept.

Granted, ten years ago was a market high so the performance might look worse than a long term average. However, it's more blinkered to put your head in the sand and exclude the massive 50% credit crunch crash, than to just accept it as something that could and will happen at some point if you have a high-equity portfolio.
    Last edited by bowlhead99; 11-09-2017 at 11:26 PM.
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 11th Sep 17, 11:37 PM
    • 7,227 Posts
    • 7,737 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    Thats because thats whats happened to global stockmarkets. Its nothing to do with Vanguard.

If you want a fund that goes up every year you should not invest in an index fund.
    • darkidoe
    • By darkidoe 12th Sep 17, 1:44 AM
    • 861 Posts
    • 974 Thanks
    darkidoe
    Thats because thats whats happened to global stockmarkets. Its nothing to do with Vanguard.

If you want a fund that goes up every year you should not invest in an index fund.
    Originally posted by AnotherJoe
    Then perhaps by extension, one should not invest at all??

Generally, returns from stock markets has performed better than cash in the long term, even accounting for volatility. The case is for adequate risk management to account for the volatility of markets and expectations of the investor.

Save 12K in 2017 # 9 £7 616.65/15 000 (50.78%)
    Save 12K in 2016 # 8 £19 721.58/12 000 (164.35%) Achieved!
    • grey gym sock
    • By grey gym sock 12th Sep 17, 3:37 AM
    • 4,097 Posts
    • 3,568 Thanks
    grey gym sock
    If you want a fund that goes up every year
    Originally posted by AnotherJoe
    ... then should you invest in this mystery fund:

?

all is revealed in this article: https://www.advisorperspectives.com/commentaries/2013/12/05/no-silver-bullets-in-investing

but, basically: if it looks too good to be true, ...

Originally posted by darkidoe
    either that, or get used to the idea that your fund will go down in some years, and learn to live with it. you don't have to like it, but you do need to live with it (i.e. not panic-sell after a crash).
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 12th Sep 17, 8:29 AM
    • 7,227 Posts
    • 7,737 Thanks
    AnotherJoe

Generally, returns from stock markets has performed better than cash in the long term, even accounting for volatility. The case is for adequate risk management to account for the volatility of markets and expectations of the investor.
    Originally posted by darkidoe
    Indeed you shouldn't if like the OP you are under the severe misapprehension that a fund that rose every year of the last five gives an indication that's what it will do for for the next 20, or thinks that an index fund does anything other than follow its index, so you should investigate the index(es) the fund is following.

The OP acts as if VLS is actvely doing something to create that performance when it's the exact opposite, it's the index that is doing the heavy lifting. So it's the indexes they need to investigate. Once they decide they like those indexes they can pick the lowest cost fund that follows that index. Whats the OP going to do when markets fall over months to years, if they are of such mind that they wouldn't invest if it fell last quarter ?
    Last edited by AnotherJoe; 12-09-2017 at 8:41 AM.
    • Carmk2008
    • By Carmk2008 12th Sep 17, 9:51 AM
    • 155 Posts
    • 48 Thanks
    Carmk2008
    @anotherjoe I never once said that I was looking for a fund that went up every year (although that would be nice) it was merely for me to see past performances and perhaps some reassurance.
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 12th Sep 17, 10:32 AM
    • 89,460 Posts
    • 54,930 Thanks
    dunstonh
    @anotherjoe I never once said that I was looking for a fund that went up every year (although that would be nice) it was merely for me to see past performances and perhaps some reassurance.
    If you are looking for reassurance, are you sure VLS100 is the right fund for you?

How reassured are you going to be when it next loses half its value?
    • Carmk2008
    • By Carmk2008 12th Sep 17, 10:54 AM
    • 155 Posts
    • 48 Thanks
    Carmk2008
    @ duntosh maybe I worded that wrong I am aware of the risks and perfectly prepared to lose half the the value. This may change the more I have in it but as I have said before I am in this for 20 plus years.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

688Posts Today

6,186Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin