Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • kingfisherblue
    • By kingfisherblue 11th Sep 17, 1:33 PM
    • 7,243Posts
    • 15,551Thanks
    kingfisherblue
    Ouch! Pouring with rain, but stung by a wasp!
    • 11th Sep 17, 1:33 PM
    Ouch! Pouring with rain, but stung by a wasp! 11th Sep 17 at 1:33 PM
    I was just unlocking my front door and felt a sudden pain about a centimetre underneath my ear. Obviously I put my hand up to it, and found a little lump. When I scraped it, there was a sting under my fingernail. Then a wasp flew out in front of me - by this time, I was in the downstairs bathroom, so I was able to let it out of the window.

I didn't realise just how painful a wasp sting would be. Fortunately, apart from the pain, I've had no other side effects. I've never really thought about wasps flying around in the rain, and it was quite heavy this morning.

Has anyone else ever been stung?
Page 1
    • indesisiv
    • By indesisiv 11th Sep 17, 1:42 PM
    • 4,632 Posts
    • 15,545 Thanks
    indesisiv
    • 11th Sep 17, 1:42 PM
    • 11th Sep 17, 1:42 PM
    Yes, I sat on a wasp nest once by accident. It was in an old tree that i sat on. Got stung about 7 times before I realised.
    Have also been stung a few other times too when there was a nest outside my window. On that occasion I flicked a wasp off when I felt pain, turns out I flicked it so hard i left half of the wasp still in my skin lol.

Can't say that the stings are too painful they are more just an annoying dull pain that itches.

Don't forget that wasps can even sting once they are dead on the floor! Annoying critters.
    “Time is intended to be spent, not saved” - Alfred Wainwright
    • kingfisherblue
    • By kingfisherblue 11th Sep 17, 1:47 PM
    • 7,243 Posts
    • 15,551 Thanks
    kingfisherblue
    • 11th Sep 17, 1:47 PM
    • 11th Sep 17, 1:47 PM
    Yes, I sat on a wasp nest once by accident. It was in an old tree that i sat on. Got stung about 7 times before I realised.
    Have also been stung a few other times too when there was a nest outside my window. On that occasion I flicked a wasp off when I felt pain, turns out I flicked it so hard i left half of the wasp still in my skin lol.

Can't say that the stings are too painful they are more just an annoying dull pain that itches.

Don't forget that wasps can even sting once they are dead on the floor! Annoying critters.
    Originally posted by indesisiv
    I bet that was difficult to sit down afterwards! Do you still sit on tree stumps, or do you check them first?

I found the pain very intense, although it has reduced to a dull ache now. There's no itching. I was more bothered about anaphylactic shock than anything, as I have several allergies that are severe. Good job I had my Epipens handy, but very happy not to have to use them!
    • indesisiv
    • By indesisiv 11th Sep 17, 2:06 PM
    • 4,632 Posts
    • 15,545 Thanks
    indesisiv
    • 11th Sep 17, 2:06 PM
    • 11th Sep 17, 2:06 PM
    I bet that was difficult to sit down afterwards! Do you still sit on tree stumps, or do you check them first?
    Originally posted by kingfisherblue
    Luckily I had jeans on so only really got stung on my arms, and ankles.
    Can't say it really bothered me too much as I then spent the afternoon playing football before I went home and had a proper look at the stings.

I did get stung whilst riding my bike once which was a bit odd. It stung me right on the forehead. I just thought that I had hit a big fly or something that bounced off my head but turns out I was stung. (Although on the same ride I was going flat out down a 1 in 4 hill when a bee hit me in the face! That hurt too but more from the impact )

Hmmm no wonder I don't kike wasps very much.
    “Time is intended to be spent, not saved” - Alfred Wainwright
    • peachyprice
    • By peachyprice 11th Sep 17, 3:28 PM
    • 18,496 Posts
    • 42,423 Thanks
    peachyprice
    • 11th Sep 17, 3:28 PM
    • 11th Sep 17, 3:28 PM
    I trod in a wasps nest once, they went up my trouser legs and I ended up with about 20 stings, that was obviously too much for by body to cope with as now I react terribly to just one sting.

I also got stung riding my bike, the stupid thing flew into my shin, I was wearing a skirt at the time, by the time I got to work my shin was like a tennis ball.

Really, what is the point of wasps?
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 11th Sep 17, 6:02 PM
    • 28,945 Posts
    • 105,923 Thanks
    Pyxis
    • 11th Sep 17, 6:02 PM
    • 11th Sep 17, 6:02 PM
    I've only been stung by a wasp once, and that was in France. There was a crowd of small wasps hovering over a doorstep, and I stood there chatting and one of them stung me. For such a small wasp it had a jolly big sting which was sticking out of my ankle and throbbing.

I di get 'stung' ie bitten by a spider once, ironically, as I was picking it up from the floor of a hall, to stop it getting trodden on, the ungrateful little blighter! I still put it outside, though!
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, P.P..
    ¥ ¥ ¥
    X ~O
    • Trina90
    • By Trina90 11th Sep 17, 6:20 PM
    • 115 Posts
    • 133 Thanks
    Trina90
    • 11th Sep 17, 6:20 PM
    • 11th Sep 17, 6:20 PM
    Will never forget that pain! Was doing some work experience at a zoo about 8 years ago - there were tonnes of wasps eating the fruit that was for the marmosets. I was just left on my own to clean them out. It was inevitable that I would be stung since I had to pick all the old fruit up! Got me on the leg. A vicious marmoset also managed to get through the partition (they are separated whilst we cleaned there) and nearly got me too - luckily I escaped before it could bite me!
    The zoo in question has had a lot worse happen to a keeper only this year though... I wasn't at all surprised when I heard.
    Mortgage started 2015: £150,000
    2016: £130,000
    Currently: £118,000
    • peter_the_piper
    • By peter_the_piper 11th Sep 17, 6:56 PM
    • 26,013 Posts
    • 32,903 Thanks
    peter_the_piper
    • 11th Sep 17, 6:56 PM
    • 11th Sep 17, 6:56 PM
    Beware, at this time of year there are many wasps and bees collecting nectar from ivy flowers and they don't seem to like humans standing nearby (as I found out with a neck sting).
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
    • kingfisherblue
    • By kingfisherblue 11th Sep 17, 10:28 PM
    • 7,243 Posts
    • 15,551 Thanks
    kingfisherblue
    • 11th Sep 17, 10:28 PM
    • 11th Sep 17, 10:28 PM
    Some painful experiences - once was bad enough! It's just a bit sore now, almost twelve hours later, but the pain was quite intense initially.

Peachyprice, I'm not surprised that it was too much for your body to cope with - and here's me moaning about one sting! Pyxis - do you still put spiders outside, or just leave them to their fate now?
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 12th Sep 17, 6:14 AM
    • 28,945 Posts
    • 105,923 Thanks
    Pyxis
    Pyxis - do you still put spiders outside, or just leave them to their fate now?
    If there's a risk of them being trodden on, I put them outside still. This particular spider was one of the biting kind. I'll just be more careful!
    Usually a spider bite wouldn't even register on the sensation scale, let alone be painful, but there are one or two species where a bite can hurt!

Any I find at home just get left anyway; they can eat any insects in my house!
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

¥ ¥ ¥
    X ~O
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 12th Sep 17, 7:33 AM
    • 993 Posts
    • 5,118 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    Wasp/bee stings do really hurt! I remember getting on a bus and sitting down and putting my hand straight onto a bee. Ouch!
    "It doesn't cost any more to dream big."
    • Wizard of Id
    • By Wizard of Id 16th Sep 17, 5:47 PM
    • 1,918 Posts
    • 8,020 Thanks
    Wizard of Id
    I somehow knew that I was going to eventually post in this thread

Got stung by a wasp this afternoon on the back of my neck
    I though it was just something falling down my shirt so I just brushed at it then the pain hit, I never knew it was a wasp untin it crawled round my body and was on the way up my chest when I realised.
    The sting spot is now swollen, red and very sore
    Every man is innocent until proven broke.
    Cryin won't help you, prayin won't do you no good.

Walk 2000 3000 miles in 2017 - 2411.8
    This week 73.3
    • kingfisherblue
    • By kingfisherblue 16th Sep 17, 7:01 PM
    • 7,243 Posts
    • 15,551 Thanks
    kingfisherblue
    Hope I've not jinxed you Wizard - my sting was fine by the next day.
    • Wizard of Id
    • By Wizard of Id 16th Sep 17, 7:08 PM
    • 1,918 Posts
    • 8,020 Thanks
    Wizard of Id
    Hope I've not jinxed you Wizard - my sting was fine by the next day.
    First time I have been stung by a wasp since I was about 12 and out picking brambles with my parents for making jam

I can't remember what happened back then but I know that this one hurts like the devil even with some of the 'after-bite' cream that I have for midge bites.
    I may see if I have any cortozone cream left upstairs before I go to bed.

This week 73.3
    • AElene
    • By AElene 16th Sep 17, 7:20 PM
    • 36 Posts
    • 211 Thanks
    AElene
    I remember lifting the hood of a pram up in my mum's loft and seeing a huge hornet sitting in it. I've never moved so fast in my life! Luckily it was asleep (or at least not moving or flying about).

Other than that I'm pretty lucky, touch wood. I very rarely get stung or bitten.
    Ælene
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 16th Sep 17, 7:26 PM
    • 28,945 Posts
    • 105,923 Thanks
    Pyxis
    First time I have been stung by a wasp since I was about 12 and out picking brambles with my parents for making jam

I can't remember what happened back then but I know that this one hurts like the devil even with some of the 'after-bite' cream that I have for midge bites.
    I may see if I have any cortozone cream left upstairs before I go to bed.
    Originally posted by Wizard of Id
    An ice cube in a cloth might help.
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

¥ ¥ ¥
    X ~O
    • Wizard of Id
    • By Wizard of Id 16th Sep 17, 7:32 PM
    • 1,918 Posts
    • 8,020 Thanks
    Wizard of Id
    An ice cube in a cloth might help.
    Originally posted by Pyxis
    did that first when I got home, actually frozen peas in a cloth, I keep them in the freezer for cooling strained muscles, that bag of peas must be 5 years old, defrosted and refrozen more times than I care to think about.

I am starting to think that darn wasp stung me twice as I have 2 distinct areas of pain about 2 inches apart, trouble is that I can't see in the mirror and there is no-ne here to check for me

This week 73.3
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 16th Sep 17, 8:11 PM
    • 28,945 Posts
    • 105,923 Thanks
    Pyxis
    did that first when I got home, actually frozen peas in a cloth, I keep them in the freezer for cooling strained muscles, that bag of peas must be 5 years old, defrosted and refrozen more times than I care to think about.

I am starting to think that darn wasp stung me twice as I have 2 distinct areas of pain about 2 inches apart, trouble is that I can't see in the mirror and there is no-ne here to check for me
    Originally posted by Wizard of Id
    Could you try and angle your phone/tablet and take a few photos in the hope that one will show the sting marks?
    Or video your neck?
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

¥ ¥ ¥
    X ~O
    • kingfisherblue
    • By kingfisherblue 17th Sep 17, 5:18 PM
    • 7,243 Posts
    • 15,551 Thanks
    kingfisherblue
    Could you try and angle your phone/tablet and take a few photos in the hope that one will show the sting marks?
    Or video your neck?
    Originally posted by Pyxis
    I did that when I was stung, but I just couldn't get the darned angle right! Lots of lovely pictures of curly hair, my neck, and behind my ear - but not one fo the sting site! You wouldn't believe that it was so difficult! (Mind you, I'm fairly hopelss with a camera anyway )
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 17th Sep 17, 6:56 PM
    • 28,945 Posts
    • 105,923 Thanks
    Pyxis
    I did that when I was stung, but I just couldn't get the darned angle right! Lots of lovely pictures of curly hair, my neck, and behind my ear - but not one fo the sting site! You wouldn't believe that it was so difficult! (Mind you, I'm fairly hopelss with a camera anyway )
    Could you ask a neighbour or colleague to photo it for you?
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

¥ ¥ ¥
    X ~O
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

380Posts Today

3,631Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin