Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • gettingworried34
    • By gettingworried34 11th Sep 17, 12:57 PM
    • 5Posts
    • 0Thanks
    gettingworried34
    Duplicate Payments
    • 11th Sep 17, 12:57 PM
    Duplicate Payments 11th Sep 17 at 12:57 PM
    Hello - I rent through Southern Housing and I pay weekly for my rent by Direct Debit which is fine but the company that take these payments have duplicated in error and have still not refunded my money back they have advised that this will be done by Tuesday on their website but I was advised this was going to be done on the Friday - although I have not gone overdrawn this has taken money that needed to go elsewhere and when I have tried to contact them they have advised that they are taking lots of calls and I am going to be charged 7p a minute for waiting - should I contact my bank and going through the DD guarantee? whats the best thing to do?
Page 1
    • 00ec25
    • By 00ec25 11th Sep 17, 1:05 PM
    • 5,384 Posts
    • 4,734 Thanks
    00ec25
    • 11th Sep 17, 1:05 PM
    • 11th Sep 17, 1:05 PM
    it is 1pm on Monday, you say the HA is going to refund on Tuesday, tomorrow in other words

yes you can of course claim via the DD guarantee, but I doubt that "full and immediate repayment" means your bank will process it within the remaining 4 hours of today's working time. In which case you will get it tomorrow anyway, and may of course then end up with a duplicated refund if the HA also pay, which you will have to then pay back yourself.

if you feel you have a claim for out of pocket expenses due to not being able to pay other bills then complain to the HA and provide evidence of why and how much you lost as a result of their error.
    • Guest101
    • By Guest101 11th Sep 17, 1:11 PM
    • 15,118 Posts
    • 14,764 Thanks
    Guest101
    • 11th Sep 17, 1:11 PM
    • 11th Sep 17, 1:11 PM
    it is 1pm on Monday, you say the HA is going to refund on Tuesday, tomorrow in other words

yes you can of course claim via the DD guarantee, but I doubt that "full and immediate repayment" means your bank will process it within the remaining 4 hours of today's working time. In which case you will get it tomorrow anyway, and may of course then end up with a duplicated refund if the HA also pay, which you will have to then pay back yourself.

if you feel you have a claim for out of pocket expenses due to not being able to pay other bills then complain to the HA and provide evidence of why and how much you lost as a result of their error.
    Originally posted by 00ec25

Typically banks refund the money there and then on the phone. this may vary from bank to bank, but certainly that is my experience with both Halifax and Natwest.
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 11th Sep 17, 1:19 PM
    • 6,134 Posts
    • 5,883 Thanks
    davidmcn
    • 11th Sep 17, 1:19 PM
    • 11th Sep 17, 1:19 PM
    Typically banks refund the money there and then on the phone. this may vary from bank to bank, but certainly that is my experience with both Halifax and Natwest.
    Originally posted by Guest101
    Same here (Santander).
    • glentoran99
    • By glentoran99 11th Sep 17, 1:22 PM
    • 4,857 Posts
    • 3,857 Thanks
    glentoran99
    • 11th Sep 17, 1:22 PM
    • 11th Sep 17, 1:22 PM
    Same here nationwide
    • gettingworried34
    • By gettingworried34 11th Sep 17, 2:12 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    gettingworried34
    • 11th Sep 17, 2:12 PM
    • 11th Sep 17, 2:12 PM
    Thanks for your replies, they first said that they were going to refund on Friday which didnt happen which is why I am a little dubious about the Tuesday response - I will wait until tomorrow and see if it goes back in and if not contact my bank. Just annoyed that I have to work so hard to get my money back when it is their error!!
    • glentoran99
    • By glentoran99 11th Sep 17, 2:14 PM
    • 4,857 Posts
    • 3,857 Thanks
    glentoran99
    • 11th Sep 17, 2:14 PM
    • 11th Sep 17, 2:14 PM
    If it was me I would contact the bank and get it refunded, then if it is refunded again, take your time sending it back
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

676Posts Today

5,924Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @TfLTravelAlerts: Oxford Circus and Bond Street stations now both reopened and all trains are stopping normally.

• RT @metpoliceuk: We have not located any trace of suspects, evidence of shots fired or casualties. Officers still on scene. If you are in a?

• My hopes and prayers are that this turns out to be nothing. Stay safe.

• Follow Martin