Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • SamsReturn
    • By SamsReturn 11th Sep 17, 12:54 PM
    • 1,042Posts
    • 1,853Thanks
    SamsReturn
    A man in a womans world.
    • 11th Sep 17, 12:54 PM
    A man in a womans world. 11th Sep 17 at 12:54 PM
    I saw this story on the Tv last week, about Norlands.
    Me being dead common, i've never heard of the place, but apparently it's a posh college. It's where the 'money people' go when they want a nanny to look after their children. Why the story was on the news was their first 'manny', a male nanny has just graduated.

http://www.itv.com/news/westcountry/2012-09-06/norlands-first-male-nanny/
    I'll bet he takes some stick off his mates in the pub when he says what he does.

If you're a man, have you ever worked in a place where everyone else was a woman, or the other way around. Girls have you ever been the only woman ?
    Or maybe if you're looking for a Nanny to look after your kids, would you offer this guy a job
Page 1
    • Baby Angel
    • By Baby Angel 11th Sep 17, 1:15 PM
    • 481 Posts
    • 1,089 Thanks
    Baby Angel
    • 11th Sep 17, 1:15 PM
    • 11th Sep 17, 1:15 PM
    My DD never had a babysitter, other than immediate family looking after her. If I needed (and was able to afford) a "Nanny", it wouldn't have crossed my mind to wonder whether it should be a Man or a Woman. I think their experience or reference would be more looked at, than their gender.

I am a woman working as in IT as a software developer for about 16 years now. Always worked in men only team. Never had an issue on giving or getting acknowledgement/respect. It all boils down to how good or bad you do your job, nothing to do with being man or woman.
    SPC 08 - #452 - £415
    SPC 09 - #452 - £298
    • AubreyMac
    • By AubreyMac 11th Sep 17, 2:38 PM
    • 1,061 Posts
    • 2,558 Thanks
    AubreyMac
    • 11th Sep 17, 2:38 PM
    • 11th Sep 17, 2:38 PM
    I've heard of mannys before and know a couple who has one (he is gay though, does this fact make any difference?).

In my line of work (social service) most are women. For 3 years my office was 100% women but then 2 men joined.

I work with a lot of foster carers and adopters. What's increasing is that with straight couples, the male will be the stay at home parent usually because the woman earns more.

I don't think it's just peer pressure that puts men of going for a 'female' job but in cases where it's to do with looking after children, men are more vulnerable to being accused of all sorts.

I've heard that the amount of men becoming teachers is decreasing, probably due to this.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 11th Sep 17, 2:47 PM
    • 59,836 Posts
    • 349,949 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    • 11th Sep 17, 2:47 PM
    • 11th Sep 17, 2:47 PM
    My aunty was a Norland, then worked for royalty for the rest of her life around Europe, from the late 1920s ... finally dying in a "grace and favour" flatlet in a palace about 20 years ago.

Norlands are "proper jobs" - traditionally only used by royalty and the super rich.
    • Mojisola
    • By Mojisola 11th Sep 17, 2:51 PM
    • 28,197 Posts
    • 71,703 Thanks
    Mojisola
    • 11th Sep 17, 2:51 PM
    • 11th Sep 17, 2:51 PM
    Why the story was on the news was their first 'manny', a male nanny has just graduated.

http://www.itv.com/news/westcountry/2012-09-06/norlands-first-male-nanny/

I'll bet he takes some stick off his mates in the pub when he says what he does.
    Originally posted by SamsReturn
    With a starting salary of £27k+, he probably doesn't mind taking a bit of stick.
    • SamsReturn
    • By SamsReturn 11th Sep 17, 3:40 PM
    • 1,042 Posts
    • 1,853 Thanks
    SamsReturn
    • 11th Sep 17, 3:40 PM
    • 11th Sep 17, 3:40 PM
    (he is gay though, does this fact make any difference?).
    I work with a lot of foster carers and adopters. What's increasing is that with straight couples, the male will be the stay at home parent usually because the woman earns more.
    Originally posted by AubreyMac
    My nephew is gay, him and his partner bought their kids off ebay.
    They didn't really, they went to America and found a woman to be, what do you call it, a donor for their sperm to have twins. I don't think they could have done it in this Country.
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 11th Sep 17, 5:55 PM
    • 28,776 Posts
    • 105,242 Thanks
    Pyxis
    • 11th Sep 17, 5:55 PM
    • 11th Sep 17, 5:55 PM
    In my first career, I was the only female on the professional side, although there were women on the clerical side.

I was pretty young, and most of the men were old enough to be my father, but a bit later on some younger men joined, so it was a bit more fun.

Much more recently, I did a 4-day residential course in a craft, and much to my surprise I was the only female in the group of about 8. I say surprised, because on every other course I'd done, men were either in the minority or in equal numbers or the class was all female.

It felt extremely strange at first, but then as I got to know them and the tutor I relaxed!
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, P.P..
    ¥ ¥ ¥
    X ~O
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,367Posts Today

8,098Users online

Martin's Twitter