Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mumin2017
    • By Mumin2017 11th Sep 17, 12:51 PM
    • 7Posts
    • 18Thanks
    Mumin2017
    School changing daughters class
    • 11th Sep 17, 12:51 PM
    School changing daughters class 11th Sep 17 at 12:51 PM
    So my daughter returned to school last week looking forward to catching up with her classmates to be told they have moved her away from all her friends to the other half of the year, the side of the year she's never interacted with. She's devasted by the move and school didn't consult with us at all. Basically their is to many on one side of the year so they have had to move around 10 kids in nearly 200. Do I have any rights to redress this my daughter is feeling very left out at break times now and her confidence has taken a knock not to mention she no longer wants to go to school.
Page 2
    • maman
    • By maman 11th Sep 17, 5:29 PM
    • 16,663 Posts
    • 99,536 Thanks
    maman
    Thanks for letting us know. I'm sure the school said all they could without 'naming and shaming' others who might have been a bad influence. D com back in a few months or a few years when she's got all her Level 9s!
    • Timpu
    • By Timpu 11th Sep 17, 5:44 PM
    • 229 Posts
    • 274 Thanks
    Timpu
    Happened to me, I was moved into a class where I knew no one. Mum went in and we were able to work through a compromise. Much like your daughter, undoing things was not possible. While I was upset at the time, things worked out due to supportive teachers. I certainly didn't lose out. I think teachers were as puzzled as we were as to why it's been picked out and put in with with that particular group.
    • susancs
    • By susancs 11th Sep 17, 8:25 PM
    • 3,795 Posts
    • 3,667 Thanks
    susancs
    Both my daughter's changed their half of years in Secondary school and in both cases it worked out well as they made friends in both halves of year.

My eldest had to change to the other half of the year due to an issue with GCSE top sets having too many pupils (had a lot of top set pupils in all subjects in her year) in year 10. She would have preferred to remain in her old form but adjusted quickly and has a large group of friends. In fact she found that the subject teachers were often better in the top sets in the other half of the year.

Similar to your child, the school had to adjust my second child's form and move her into the other half of the year to even out numbers. She is quite shy so was a bit worried, but she quickly adjusted.
    Last edited by susancs; 12-09-2017 at 8:05 AM.
    • Mumin2017
    • By Mumin2017 11th Sep 17, 8:34 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    Mumin2017
    Thank you for sharing your stories it's nice to hear things turned out so positive for your kids. Feeling much better and more importantly so is my daughter
    • Tygermoth
    • By Tygermoth 13th Sep 17, 8:04 AM
    • 1,273 Posts
    • 2,576 Thanks
    Tygermoth
    As an army kid with a dad that did short rotations I changed school at least every single year, on several occasions every six months. A number of these schools were international schools with different teaching styles, systems and outlooks.

Kids can be really resilient and sometime knocking them out of their set friendships can lead them down interesting paths.

I learned I can talk to pretty much anyone and to make friends quite quickly. I also became very good at working out group dynamics and to hit the ground running. It was also really good as highlighting that things change, not always for the better, but adapting and having a positive outlook makes a massive difference.
    Please note I have a cognitive disability - as such my wording can be a bit off, muddled, misspelt or in some cases i can miss out some words totally...
    • Fireflyaway
    • By Fireflyaway 13th Sep 17, 1:09 PM
    • 1,176 Posts
    • 1,206 Thanks
    Fireflyaway
    Once the initial shock is over your daughter might well get on better than you think. My daughter has just started a new school where she didn't know anyone and now has friends. It can take longer for some kids but it will probably be OK.
    As a parent the instinct is to leap in and do whatever to 'make it right' but sometimes the greatest gift is to teach kids resilience. Let them find coping strategies and deal with stress rather than fall to bits or run away from issues.
    I wouldn't be surprised if your daughter copes better than you think and grows in confidence as a result.
    • Wannabedebtfree01
    • By Wannabedebtfree01 15th Sep 17, 11:53 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Wannabedebtfree01
    My DD's class has been changed 2 weeks into the new year as well, which meant the lesson timetable she had was wrong. She didn't have the correct books and stuff with her, and on the first day of the new timetable didn't have her PE kit either, as on the old timetable she had PE on a Tuesday so ended up having to do the lesson in her pants
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,300Posts Today

9,598Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • In or near York? This Wed the @itvmlshow Roadshow" will be at the York Food & Drink Festival - do come and say hi; St Sampsons Square 11-4.

• It's the subtle poetry and lyricism of tweets like this that I find so endearing https://t.co/XhSKBCGyXe

• Interesting well argued take on the Uber situation from a black cab driver... https://t.co/c1I5ta0jde

• Follow Martin