Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • rae123
    • By rae123 11th Sep 17, 12:35 PM
    • 46Posts
    • 253Thanks
    rae123
    Repairs, Landlord vs managing company
    • 11th Sep 17, 12:35 PM
    Repairs, Landlord vs managing company 11th Sep 17 at 12:35 PM
    We live in a rented apartment and have a leak in our ceiling that has now caused the plaster to break away from the ceiling and the floor to become damaged. Recently, due to the bad weather, we are waking up in the morning to puddles of rainwater.

The apartment building's cladding has been marked dangerous and therefore there are plans to remove it - however in a recent letter from the managing company the total time to remove all the cladding will be 4 months. This letter was sent a month ago and there are still no signs of removal.

I have called the managing company of the building several times over the past few months (as they are responsible for the structural issues) and they have fobbed me off with general excuses such as they aren't able to get a hold of the contractors. Today they have dropped the bombshell that the leak is due to the cladding, and therefore they can't fix it until the cladding is removed (which will be at least another 4 months).

I have brought it to my landlords attention but I understand it isn't really in his duty of care because it is a structural issue, so I'm a bit concerned that we may have to live with falling plaster, massive puddles and a constant dripping for the next 4 months.

Can anyone see a solution at all?
Page 1
    • Guest101
    • By Guest101 11th Sep 17, 1:10 PM
    • 15,128 Posts
    • 14,763 Thanks
    Guest101
    • 11th Sep 17, 1:10 PM
    • 11th Sep 17, 1:10 PM
    We live in a rented apartment and have a leak in our ceiling that has now caused the plaster to break away from the ceiling and the floor to become damaged. Recently, due to the bad weather, we are waking up in the morning to puddles of rainwater.

The apartment building's cladding has been marked dangerous and therefore there are plans to remove it - however in a recent letter from the managing company the total time to remove all the cladding will be 4 months. This letter was sent a month ago and there are still no signs of removal.

I have called the managing company of the building several times over the past few months (as they are responsible for the structural issues) and they have fobbed me off with general excuses such as they aren't able to get a hold of the contractors. Today they have dropped the bombshell that the leak is due to the cladding, and therefore they can't fix it until the cladding is removed (which will be at least another 4 months).

I have brought it to my landlords attention but I understand it isn't really in his duty of care because it is a structural issue, so I'm a bit concerned that we may have to live with falling plaster, massive puddles and a constant dripping for the next 4 months.

Can anyone see a solution at all?
    Originally posted by rae123
    No you understand totally incorrectly, it's entirely his duty to repair. You have no contract with the managing agent and they have no duty of care to you.
    • rae123
    • By rae123 11th Sep 17, 1:20 PM
    • 46 Posts
    • 253 Thanks
    rae123
    • 11th Sep 17, 1:20 PM
    • 11th Sep 17, 1:20 PM
    So should the landlord repair it?
    • cjdavies
    • By cjdavies 11th Sep 17, 1:23 PM
    • 2,786 Posts
    • 2,791 Thanks
    cjdavies
    • 11th Sep 17, 1:23 PM
    • 11th Sep 17, 1:23 PM
    So should the landlord repair it?
    Originally posted by rae123
    You contact the landlord and he sorts it out with the managing company.
    • rae123
    • By rae123 11th Sep 17, 1:37 PM
    • 46 Posts
    • 253 Thanks
    rae123
    • 11th Sep 17, 1:37 PM
    • 11th Sep 17, 1:37 PM
    Okay thank you, I've already email him to inform him about the leak, so once he has replied I'll ask if he can also bring it to the managing companies attention.
    • Slithery
    • By Slithery 11th Sep 17, 1:49 PM
    • 284 Posts
    • 358 Thanks
    Slithery
    • 11th Sep 17, 1:49 PM
    • 11th Sep 17, 1:49 PM
    You should make a request in writing as well, keeping a copy.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,811Posts Today

9,533Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Sneaky NAKED photo... ...of the room where many political and regional TV interviews are done. This is before the? https://t.co/fDdeKQOQuU

• The Premium Bond rate is being boosted from 1.15% to 1.4% should you pile in? My analysis... https://t.co/3Q7tjphAFO

• RT @colinjdunn: First #Plevin cheque received this morning - £548.66 from Nationwide & with other claims still outstanding - so thanks @Mar?

• Follow Martin