Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • rhubarb86
    • By rhubarb86 11th Sep 17, 11:54 AM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    rhubarb86
    Vendor won't lower price but will pay for works?
    • 11th Sep 17, 11:54 AM
    Vendor won't lower price but will pay for works? 11th Sep 17 at 11:54 AM
    Hi,
    We're first time buyers and we have found a property we would like to buy, it needs a lot of work though.
    We offered slightly under the asking price but the vendor wouldn't accept, however he said he will pay for a new boiler (of our choice) to be fitted if we come up to the asking price. He said the work would take place between exchange and completion.
    Has anyone been in a similar situation and did it work out ok? It just seems weird he won't drop the price but will pay money for work.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Many thanks in advance
Page 2
    • Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 14th Sep 17, 12:18 PM
    • 4,790 Posts
    • 2,104 Thanks
    Crashy Time
    http://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-britain-houseprices-rics/london-house-prices-record-biggest-fall-since-2008-rics-idUKKCN1BO2X0?rpc=401&
    • LandyAndy
    • By LandyAndy 14th Sep 17, 12:27 PM
    • 23,826 Posts
    • 50,473 Thanks
    LandyAndy

house prices in central london fell at their sharpest pace since 2008 in august, intensifying the slowdown in the capital’s housing market, but prices went up in other regions of britain, a survey showed on thursday.

. .
    • Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 14th Sep 17, 5:31 PM
    • 4,790 Posts
    • 2,104 Thanks
    Crashy Time
    . .
    Originally posted by LandyAndy

Did you catch which regions (or do you know) and the number of sales they are basing this on. Thinking your house is worth X because a tiny number of sales have created a stat that says so isn`t really worth much if you don`t have a buyer.
    • LandyAndy
    • By LandyAndy 14th Sep 17, 8:54 PM
    • 23,826 Posts
    • 50,473 Thanks
    LandyAndy
    Did you catch which regions (or do you know) and the number of sales they are basing this on. Thinking your house is worth X because a tiny number of sales have created a stat that says so isn`t really worth much if you don`t have a buyer.
    Originally posted by Crashy Time
    I'm hazarding a guess that sales in central London weren't a big proportion of total sales.
    • Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 14th Sep 17, 9:09 PM
    • 4,790 Posts
    • 2,104 Thanks
    Crashy Time
    I'm hazarding a guess that sales in central London weren't a big proportion of total sales.
    Originally posted by LandyAndy

Where were the prices rising though?
    • jimbog
    • By jimbog 14th Sep 17, 9:29 PM
    • 589 Posts
    • 935 Thanks
    jimbog
    You seem a little taken aback that someone actually went to the trouble to read one of your links
    The problem with quotations on the internet is that you can never verify their authenticity - Abraham Lincoln
    • Mutton Geoff
    • By Mutton Geoff 14th Sep 17, 9:36 PM
    • 864 Posts
    • 906 Thanks
    Mutton Geoff
    Housing costs rising fastest in the East Midlands?
    Compensations/Refunds from Banks & Institutions - £4,165 | Stooz Profits - £7,636 | Quidco - £3,963

All with a big thank you to Martin and MSE.com from Mutton Geoff!
    • Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 14th Sep 17, 10:22 PM
    • 4,790 Posts
    • 2,104 Thanks
    Crashy Time
    You seem a little taken aback that someone actually went to the trouble to read one of your links
    Originally posted by jimbog

Maybe your sense of perception is different to mine, but it should be apparent that I don`t care that much either way However I would guess that most of my links and comments are read by a fair number of people Lets face it though, all of my house prices are a bubble/crashing links are from the MSM, so they are being read by millions anyway
    • Narkynewt
    • By Narkynewt 14th Sep 17, 10:37 PM
    • 97 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    Narkynewt
    I find it strange. I wouldn't let someone who wants to save money fit my boiler. Say no. Why would they lose out on selling their home over this??
    • phillw
    • By phillw 15th Sep 17, 9:59 AM
    • 801 Posts
    • 400 Thanks
    phillw
    Thinking your house is worth X because a tiny number of sales have created a stat that says so isn`t really worth much if you don`t have a buyer.
    That is capitalism for you. If you immediately have a buyer then you priced your property too low.

London is mostly crashing because of brexit. It doesn't seem to have hit the more racist regions yet.
    Last edited by phillw; 15-09-2017 at 10:01 AM.
    • Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 15th Sep 17, 12:08 PM
    • 4,790 Posts
    • 2,104 Thanks
    Crashy Time
    I find it strange. I wouldn't let someone who wants to save money fit my boiler. Say no. Why would they lose out on selling their home over this??
    Originally posted by Narkynewt

Maybe they can`t afford the work, and as I said previously, this may mean more shoddy work and shortcuts will turn up later. Offer low or walk away.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

50Posts Today

2,297Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin