Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • rabialiones
    • By rabialiones 11th Sep 17, 11:18 AM
    • 1,704Posts
    • 210Thanks
    rabialiones
    direct debit or pay on receipt?
    • 11th Sep 17, 11:18 AM
    direct debit or pay on receipt? 11th Sep 17 at 11:18 AM
    i am aware that paying by dd is cheaper , however would it be less hassle just to pay on receipt of bill , to save having to chase the suppliers for refunds when they have taken too much money. and also , it may be easier to check on usage.
    any ideas and recommendations please as i am currently looking to change due to bg fix coming to end.
    thanks
    Nice to save.
Page 1
    • SwanJon
    • By SwanJon 11th Sep 17, 11:57 AM
    • 2,372 Posts
    • 919 Thanks
    SwanJon
    • 11th Sep 17, 11:57 AM
    • 11th Sep 17, 11:57 AM
    How much do you value your time? How big a difference is there between DD and paying on receipt of bill?
    Either way will only be as accurate as the readings - provide regular readings and DD will be more likely to be accurate. This is also the best way to check on usage.
    Many suppliers let you manage your DD online - so quite easy to get a refund.
    • AndyPK
    • By AndyPK 11th Sep 17, 12:10 PM
    • 2,311 Posts
    • 615 Thanks
    AndyPK
    • 11th Sep 17, 12:10 PM
    • 11th Sep 17, 12:10 PM
    If you have plenty of money in the bank at the end of winter/xmas and/or are good at budgeting it is a good idea.

It's called quarterly direct debit. Most suppliers don't advertise it, but will put you on it if you ask.

e.g SSE, npower, EDF etc...

As hinted you get a big bill during winter, but you pay for exactly what you have used

You supply meter readings 4 times a year, they generate the bill, and the direct debit comes out of your account about a month or more later.
    Last edited by AndyPK; 11-09-2017 at 12:13 PM.
    • Cardew
    • By Cardew 11th Sep 17, 12:22 PM
    • 26,810 Posts
    • 12,992 Thanks
    Cardew
    • 11th Sep 17, 12:22 PM
    • 11th Sep 17, 12:22 PM
    I believe some of the cheapest tariffs are on-line and restricted to payment by DD only.
    • Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 11th Sep 17, 12:27 PM
    • 4,533 Posts
    • 27,278 Thanks
    Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • 11th Sep 17, 12:27 PM
    • 11th Sep 17, 12:27 PM
    My supplier will put you on standard rate. Good if you want to pay more every quarter, me I sat in comofort this morning knowing my furnace has warmed my towel and I have enough on my account to burn another fiver this evening inn the Bridge!
    Watching the trail
    of cheap supermarket bags filled with a lfe gone by
    • SpotlandRules
    • By SpotlandRules 11th Sep 17, 1:43 PM
    • 117 Posts
    • 49 Thanks
    SpotlandRules
    • 11th Sep 17, 1:43 PM
    • 11th Sep 17, 1:43 PM
    Just keep a monthly check on your readings. Use a spreadsheet, to keep a track of your monthly spending.. Very easy to see if you are on target for an around zero pounds end of contract.
    • Bigphil1474
    • By Bigphil1474 12th Sep 17, 8:11 AM
    • 694 Posts
    • 289 Thanks
    Bigphil1474
    • 12th Sep 17, 8:11 AM
    • 12th Sep 17, 8:11 AM
    OP, monthly DD is usually the less hassle option. I'm with EDF and they have tried changing the DD amount a few times, but we've managed to point out the error of their ways each time. Funnily enough they usually try to reduce it rather than put it up. However, if you use your suppliers website, supply regular readings, and if they try messing with your DD unnecessarily intervene yourself, then it's usually less hassle than trying to budget for big bills in the winter and small bills in the summer (IMO).
    I usually work out what I think my monthly DD should be - usage for last year, multiplied by current tariff, divide by 12 - and then pay a few quid more than that each month. We currently pay £82 a month, but are in credit from the summer and will lose that over the winter. My annual estimate is £950, so the current DD doesn't need to go up or down at the moment. If we have a really cold winter it might.
    • MABLE
    • By MABLE 12th Sep 17, 8:20 AM
    • 3,283 Posts
    • 1,747 Thanks
    MABLE
    • 12th Sep 17, 8:20 AM
    • 12th Sep 17, 8:20 AM
    I am not a fan of paying energy companies by dd. However my electricity is paid by monthly dd. I give them a reading every day so they know exactly what my usage is and so far every thing going well.
    • macman
    • By macman 12th Sep 17, 8:34 AM
    • 41,291 Posts
    • 16,954 Thanks
    macman
    • 12th Sep 17, 8:34 AM
    • 12th Sep 17, 8:34 AM
    As Cardew said: exclude DD and you are excluded from the majority of competitive fixes.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
    • matelodave
    • By matelodave 12th Sep 17, 8:43 AM
    • 2,979 Posts
    • 1,754 Thanks
    matelodave
    Those who have trouble with their direct debits are usually those who dont bother to keep an eye on their bills, read their meters monthly or monitor their consumption.

If you do all those things, which take maybe 5-10 minutes a month then you know if it's all working properly and can sort it out quickly if something starts to go wrong.

Leave it for a quarter then you've got three months worth to sort it out, don't do it all and you could end up with 18 months or so to try and unravel.
    Love makes the world go round - beer make it go round even faster
    • AndyPK
    • By AndyPK 12th Sep 17, 12:07 PM
    • 2,311 Posts
    • 615 Thanks
    AndyPK
    Sounds very complicated these monthly direct debits, and keep having to argue with the energy company over the amount or to get credit back

Once you have been at a house for a year you should know the usage and therefore if you are capable of budgeting you should be ok. You also earn a few extra pennies of interest with the money in the bank.

electric monthly could be ok though (if you have gas heating), now we have LED lighting.
    • rabialiones
    • By rabialiones 12th Sep 17, 4:55 PM
    • 1,704 Posts
    • 210 Thanks
    rabialiones
    thanks for all the replies.
    i miss the days , when bills came thru post every quarter and could be checked and sorted out with a quick phone call if needed, you knew where you stood and could keep tabs on your consumption, could tell the kids off , if bills were higher than expected. etc
    now its so time consuming
    Nice to save.
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 12th Sep 17, 5:41 PM
    • 4,178 Posts
    • 2,425 Thanks
    Hengus
    i miss the days , when bills came thru post every quarter and could be checked and sorted out with a quick phone call if needed, you knew where you stood and could keep tabs on your consumption, could tell the kids off , if bills were higher than expected. etc
    Originally posted by rabialiones
    You are of course entitled to your opinion but, as far as I am concerned, nothing has changed. I get a bill for the total amount due. The charges are offset by any debit/credit balance less any money paid by monthly DD. Checking is nothing more than a 5 minute job.
    • Cardew
    • By Cardew 12th Sep 17, 6:12 PM
    • 26,810 Posts
    • 12,992 Thanks
    Cardew
    That's a modern procedure!

My Grandmother showed me at a young age how to put a shilling in the meter!
    • matelodave
    • By matelodave 12th Sep 17, 6:21 PM
    • 2,979 Posts
    • 1,754 Thanks
    matelodave
    That's a modern procedure!

My Grandmother showed me at a young age how to put a shilling in the meter!
    Originally posted by Cardew
    We had that at home right up until I was nearly 14 (in 1961) when we moved to a place with a credit meter. The meter was so high up that we had to get onto a chair to feed it. Had to keep a torch handy for when the lights went out.
    Love makes the world go round - beer make it go round even faster
    • AndyPK
    • By AndyPK 12th Sep 17, 6:40 PM
    • 2,311 Posts
    • 615 Thanks
    AndyPK

You can still have that with quarterly direct debit.

You give them a meter reading.
    They give you a bill. If you don't agree with it you have a month to phone them up and get it changed.
    A month after the bill is issued the amount comes out of your bank account, so if you have a busy life there is no time spent paying it and no red bills through.
    It's the best of both worlds.
    and you get a cheap tariff
    • rabialiones
    • By rabialiones 12th Sep 17, 10:41 PM
    • 1,704 Posts
    • 210 Thanks
    rabialiones
    thanks AndyPK
    i think i will try and find the supplier which offers this and go for it
    Nice to save.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,541Posts Today

9,534Users online

Martin's Twitter