Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • AG47
    • By AG47 11th Sep 17, 10:58 AM
    • 614Posts
    • 147Thanks
    AG47
    Lost mail claim form
    • 11th Sep 17, 10:58 AM
    Lost mail claim form 11th Sep 17 at 10:58 AM
    I sent a valuable package signed for and it has been lost.

I'm filling in the forms now, it says I have to provide proof of value, this is hard for me.

I sold two rare silver medallions and it wasn't through eBay or anything, but he did pay through PayPal.
    Nothing has been fixed since 2008, it was just pushed into the future
Page 1
    • soolin
    • By soolin 11th Sep 17, 11:24 AM
    • 59,471 Posts
    • 42,177 Thanks
    soolin
    • 11th Sep 17, 11:24 AM
    • 11th Sep 17, 11:24 AM
    I sent a valuable package signed for and it has been lost.

I'm filling in the forms now, it says I have to provide proof of value, this is hard for me.

I sold two rare silver medallions and it wasn't through eBay or anything, but he did pay through PayPal.
    Originally posted by AG47
    If you are a private seller then you can try just sending a copy of the sales page or email stating agreed sale value- it might work.

You might also just want to check that silver is covered with signed for, as it always used to be the case that for precious metals, cash, gems etc it needed to go special delivery.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • Brynsam
    • By Brynsam 11th Sep 17, 11:54 AM
    • 225 Posts
    • 187 Thanks
    Brynsam
    • 11th Sep 17, 11:54 AM
    • 11th Sep 17, 11:54 AM
    As Soolin says, you MIGHT find you aren't covered because the medallions are classed as 'jewellery', although it's a bit hard to tell from RM's definition:

'Our definition of jewellery includes:any precious metal that has been manufactured in such a way as to add value to the raw material, including coins used for ornament;
    diamonds and precious stones
    watches - the cases of which are made wholly or mainly of precious metal
    similar articles with an intrinsic value other than the value of the workmanship.'

As to proving value, they may ask you how you arrived at a sale value, so if you have any sort of audit trail (e.g. checking on ebay for similar items), it's worth including that info/screenshots to bolster your case.
    • AG47
    • By AG47 11th Sep 17, 1:52 PM
    • 614 Posts
    • 147 Thanks
    AG47
    • 11th Sep 17, 1:52 PM
    • 11th Sep 17, 1:52 PM
    Thanks, so not sure if silver medallions are covered?

I may call them numismatic badges, I wonder if that would be more likely to be successful
    • AG47
    • By AG47 11th Sep 17, 5:50 PM
    • 614 Posts
    • 147 Thanks
    AG47
    • 11th Sep 17, 5:50 PM
    • 11th Sep 17, 5:50 PM
    It's hard providing proof of value,Mehta else can I do?
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 11th Sep 17, 6:18 PM
    • 11,187 Posts
    • 7,490 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    • 11th Sep 17, 6:18 PM
    • 11th Sep 17, 6:18 PM
    It's hard providing proof of value,Mehta else can I do?
    Originally posted by AG47
    If your buyer paid by Paypal then that will be sufficient.

https://personal.help.royalmail.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/319

(iv) Evidence of value includes but is not limited to original receipts, invoices, Paypal records, manufacturing costs, auctioneers valuation and repair costs in the case of damage claims.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,591Posts Today

10,712Users online

Martin's Twitter