Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • deannatrois
    • By deannatrois 11th Sep 17, 10:36 AM
    • 4,847Posts
    • 6,808Thanks
    deannatrois
    ESA - Student - Informing them of changes
    • 11th Sep 17, 10:36 AM
    ESA - Student - Informing them of changes 11th Sep 17 at 10:36 AM
    My son is due to start university as a student. He's getting a loan, PA support and quite a bit of support through DSA funding.

Can I copy the loan documentation and start dates (which I have only just received because they kept changing the timetables) and send them to ESA via an online service or do I have to send them through snail mail? I assume this will take two or three weeks for them to even begin to process?
Page 1
    • pmlindyloo
    • By pmlindyloo 11th Sep 17, 11:03 AM
    • 10,834 Posts
    • 12,698 Thanks
    pmlindyloo
    • 11th Sep 17, 11:03 AM
    • 11th Sep 17, 11:03 AM
    My son is due to start university as a student. He's getting a loan, PA support and quite a bit of support through DSA funding.

Can I copy the loan documentation and start dates (which I have only just received because they kept changing the timetables) and send them to ESA via an online service or do I have to send them through snail mail? I assume this will take two or three weeks for them to even begin to process?
    Originally posted by deannatrois
    He (or you if you are his appointee) need to telephone them (Job Centre Plus) first to report a change of circumstances. Ask them what evidence they require and how to send it.

https://www.gov.uk/contact-jobcentre-plus/existing-benefit-claims

If he finds telephoning difficult then he can answer the security questions and then give them permission for you to speak to them.
    • deannatrois
    • By deannatrois 11th Sep 17, 5:00 PM
    • 4,847 Posts
    • 6,808 Thanks
    deannatrois
    • 11th Sep 17, 5:00 PM
    • 11th Sep 17, 5:00 PM
    I have done this (am his appointee) so know what to send, was just hoping there was a way of sending copies of letters via email or online.

I will be sending him his money weekly so he doesn't spend his budget in a couple of weeks. Hopefully in time I'll be able to change that but am his appointee with good reason.
    • epitome
    • By epitome 11th Sep 17, 10:03 PM
    • 2,980 Posts
    • 1,816 Thanks
    epitome
    • 11th Sep 17, 10:03 PM
    • 11th Sep 17, 10:03 PM
    Does he get DLA or PIP?
    Does he get ESA Conts?

If you phone ESA again, ask them for an appointment at the local jobcentre to have documents scanned.

He does not have to attend with you, the docs will be scanned and will be received and begin to be actioned in 24 hours. Whereas by snail mail they
    might not be actioned for 2 weeks and possibly never.
    • Diary
    • By Diary 12th Sep 17, 8:08 AM
    • 573 Posts
    • 751 Thanks
    Diary
    • 12th Sep 17, 8:08 AM
    • 12th Sep 17, 8:08 AM
    To answer your question very specifically, you cannot send documents to esa online or via e-mail.

As has been said the quickest way for them to be actioned is to do this by scanning in at your local job centre if you can face it.
    • PersianCatLady
    • By PersianCatLady 13th Sep 17, 12:51 AM
    • 339 Posts
    • 320 Thanks
    PersianCatLady
    • 13th Sep 17, 12:51 AM
    • 13th Sep 17, 12:51 AM
    Does your son currently claim PIP?

If he doesn't then it is unlikely that he will continue to receive ESA while he studies at university.
    • epitome
    • By epitome 13th Sep 17, 8:41 PM
    • 2,980 Posts
    • 1,816 Thanks
    epitome
    • 13th Sep 17, 8:41 PM
    • 13th Sep 17, 8:41 PM
    Does your son currently claim PIP?

If he doesn't then it is unlikely that he will continue to receive ESA while he studies at university.
    Originally posted by PersianCatLady
    He will if he gets ESA Conts.

For an ESA IR claim, they would have to have PIP or DLA and then any student maintenance will be taken into account.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,677Posts Today

10,265Users online

Martin's Twitter