Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • VincyBillion
    • By VincyBillion 11th Sep 17, 10:18 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    VincyBillion
    Noise in the flat. Stop Paying?
    • 11th Sep 17, 10:18 AM
    Noise in the flat. Stop Paying? 11th Sep 17 at 10:18 AM
    Hi there,
    sorry for my bad english,
    I am living in a studio flat for 3 months (summer), and it has been all good until the landlord has activated the radiators in the entire building.
    There is a fastidious sound off a Drop falling every 5 seconds "inside the ceiling" that !!!!es me off what i have to wear headphones often, and since i suffer from chronic headache, i CANT stay in this situation. It's like having a bell in the head all day.

I spoke with the landlord and he said what he knew about that sound (BUT he didnt say me when i signed the contract) and he cannot off the radiators just for that.

What can i do? Should i ask to decrease the rental fee? Can i stop paying for that?

Please suggest me the best solution,
    Many Thanks
Page 1
    • Guest101
    • By Guest101 11th Sep 17, 10:20 AM
    • 15,128 Posts
    • 14,763 Thanks
    Guest101
    • 11th Sep 17, 10:20 AM
    • 11th Sep 17, 10:20 AM
    You can ask him to repair it. It's unlikely that you can just void the contract after 3 months
    • G_M
    • By G_M 11th Sep 17, 10:28 AM
    • 41,882 Posts
    • 48,465 Thanks
    G_M
    • 11th Sep 17, 10:28 AM
    • 11th Sep 17, 10:28 AM
    Just to add to guest101's reply....

What kind of contract do you have?

Don't just 'ask him to repair''. Write a letter to him at the address provided 'for serving notices'. If the sound is genuinely a 'drip', then point out in your letter that it is probaby a leak that will cause damage to his property over time.

However, it may just be the sound of the pipes expanding a nd contracting as they heat up and cool down. Not much can be done about that.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,124Posts Today

4,823Users online

Martin's Twitter