Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Lost123
    • By Lost123 11th Sep 17, 9:59 AM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Lost123
    Flat under offer - found hole in the roof...
    • 11th Sep 17, 9:59 AM
    Flat under offer - found hole in the roof... 11th Sep 17 at 9:59 AM
    We're selling our top floor flat which is currently under offer and have just found a hole in the roof. I'm I obliged to tell the buyer?

The flat comes with a share of the freehold so we would be liable (along with the other freeholders) for any repairs if we were staying.

I've patched the hole to stop the rain coming in and causing too much damp.

Also, what would be a guess at average cost for repairing a 3 story mid terrace roof?

Thanks
Page 1
    • Grampus8
    • By Grampus8 11th Sep 17, 10:00 AM
    • 834 Posts
    • 1,097 Thanks
    Grampus8
    • 11th Sep 17, 10:00 AM
    • 11th Sep 17, 10:00 AM
    We're selling our top floor flat which is currently under offer and have just found a hole in the roof. I'm I obliged to tell the buyer?

The flat comes with a share of the freehold so we would be liable (along with the other freeholders) for any repairs if we were staying.

I've patched the hole to stop the rain coming in and causing too much damp.

Also, what would be a guess at average cost for repairing a 3 story mid terrace roof?

Thanks
    Originally posted by Lost123

Legally and more importantly, morally; yes.
    • Mutton Geoff
    • By Mutton Geoff 11th Sep 17, 10:16 AM
    • 866 Posts
    • 912 Thanks
    Mutton Geoff
    • 11th Sep 17, 10:16 AM
    • 11th Sep 17, 10:16 AM
    Has the survey been carried out yet? I wouldn't tell them but get it repaired swiftly before the surveyor comes round. If it's broke and then fixed, no need to declare it, you may only spook your buyer.

Also, if repairs are booked but not yet done and the place is surveyed, you may end up having to provide proof of repairs, there may be issues with their mortgage lender etc. Best to sort it out quick.

Cost depends on exactly whats wrong. Call a couple of roofers but be wary of check a trade etc, my experience is those places are full of sharks who can't get work any other way.
    Compensations/Refunds from Banks & Institutions - £4,165 | Stooz Profits - £7,636 | Quidco - £3,963

All with a big thank you to Martin and MSE.com from Mutton Geoff!
    • G_M
    • By G_M 11th Sep 17, 10:33 AM
    • 41,095 Posts
    • 47,242 Thanks
    G_M
    • 11th Sep 17, 10:33 AM
    • 11th Sep 17, 10:33 AM
    If you arrange repair before Exchange there's no problem.

If not, you should tell the buyer.

Is repair the responsibility of the freeholder? Have you written to the freeholder? Has the freeholder replied?

When you say 'hole' what do you mean? One tile has slipped and needs replacing? £30 if you can pursuade a guy with a ladder to go up (most building or roofing firms may want scafolding for a 3 storey building which will add £500+)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,281Posts Today

9,855Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • In or near York? This Wed the @itvmlshow Roadshow" will be at the York Food & Drink Festival - do come and say hi; St Sampsons Square 11-4.

• It's the subtle poetry and lyricism of tweets like this that I find so endearing https://t.co/XhSKBCGyXe

• Interesting well argued take on the Uber situation from a black cab driver... https://t.co/c1I5ta0jde

• Follow Martin