Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • angelfrog
    • By angelfrog 11th Sep 17, 9:30 AM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    angelfrog
    ID network contract expired
    • 11th Sep 17, 9:30 AM
    ID network contract expired 11th Sep 17 at 9:30 AM
    Hi everyone. I am new to the forum and this is my first post. I wondered if anyone could help me.
    I purchased a 2 year contract with ID network for my daughter's first phone in July 2014. It was £10 per month.
    The area we love us rural and the phone never had reception at home. She quickly got fed up of this and I upgraded her phone 6 months before the contract ended.
    At the end of the contract I sent a letter of cancellation dated march 2016 abd also cancelled my direct debit. I received a CARS debt collection letter a year later for the sum of £20 so thinking it may be a cancellation fee I had overlooked I paid it.
    Two months later I have received a bill from ID saying that even though my account has been closed due to non payment I now owe them £59.64 as am still being charged line rental as I didn't give them 30 days notice of closure on account.
    I emailed the network as can never get through to customer services. They say they never received my letter of cancellation. I forwarded them a copy and they say it doesn t contain the right information to cancel account and I am still liable for the £59.64....they don't tell me the information it's missing though.
    I just wondered if anyone could advise me what to do next? Looking online at other forums many people seem to be experiencing issues similar to me with ID and report that even when you pay another bill arrives a few months later. I am now out of the contract time and have been since July 2016. The phone hasnt been in use since march 2016. Can they legally make me pay it under the circumstances?
Page 1
    • mobilejunkie
    • By mobilejunkie 11th Sep 17, 10:04 AM
    • 7,488 Posts
    • 2,347 Thanks
    mobilejunkie
    • 11th Sep 17, 10:04 AM
    • 11th Sep 17, 10:04 AM
    You couldn't have "upgraded" the contract from what you've said, so buying a new phone to use with it (if that's what you did) is completely irrelevant. Had you upgraded the contract you'd have a new contract and the other one would have ended.

All the letter of notice had to do was give the mobile number and state cancellation after 30 days. The contract wouldn't end in March without an upgrade so any notice given in March would have incurred an ETC of more than £20. If the letter had incorrect information they should have written to you in reply.

Either they charged an ETC which you missed and closed the contract early, OR it continued in each month. Either way, there is now likely to be an entry on your external credit files which could cause you major problems for the next six years - and is more important than any money owed.

Write a letter of complaint stating that you sent them written notice and had no reply. It appears they neither actioned the cancellation nor informed you that it wasn't acceptable. Also state you've been unable to get through on the phone and expect the amount showing as owed to now be wiped AND any adverse entries on your external credit files to be erased.

If you don't have either a satisfactory outcome or letter of deadlock from them in eight weeks you can go to the Ombudsman. Whether you have a good case depends on what actually happened, when and what your letter said (which they apparently don't deny receiving. However, your huge mistake was cancelling the direct debit. Never do that until you've had a final bill and know the contract really has ended as expected.
    • Frozen_up_north
    • By Frozen_up_north 11th Sep 17, 11:50 AM
    • 1,272 Posts
    • 599 Thanks
    Frozen_up_north
    • 11th Sep 17, 11:50 AM
    • 11th Sep 17, 11:50 AM
    For what it's worth, the "easy" way to terminate a mobile contract is to ask for a PAC code and use it to transfer the number elsewhere. You can transfer to a PAYG if you don't wish to keep the number or take another contract with another provider.
    • angelfrog
    • By angelfrog 11th Sep 17, 2:31 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    angelfrog
    • 11th Sep 17, 2:31 PM
    • 11th Sep 17, 2:31 PM
    Hi thank you. When I upgraded her phone I swapped network to o2 so as far as I was concerned the contract with them ended when it was paid up in July 2016
    • mobilejunkie
    • By mobilejunkie 11th Sep 17, 4:01 PM
    • 7,488 Posts
    • 2,347 Thanks
    mobilejunkie
    • 11th Sep 17, 4:01 PM
    • 11th Sep 17, 4:01 PM
    That's not an upgrade. It's taking out a new contract with a different network and has nothing at all to do with the original contract - you would definitely have needed to pay a lot more than £20 to cover the period from March to July if it had been cancelled or it would simply continue indefinitely with bounced direct debits leading to a wrecked credit rating and debt collectors if you didn't. Sounds like you don't really understand how mobile contracts work. You contracted to the original network for a minimum of 24 months. Leave early and you still have to pay; fail to leave and the contract continues. Your new contract with a different supplier has nothing at all to do with anything - unless instead of giving notice to cancel you requested a PAC and exercised it with the new network within 30 days - but you'd still be liable for the full minimum term if you had done that.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,436Posts Today

9,308Users online

Martin's Twitter