Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Markymark2017
    • By Markymark2017 11th Sep 17, 8:19 AM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Markymark2017
    Being made redundant advice!
    • 11th Sep 17, 8:19 AM
    Being made redundant advice! 11th Sep 17 at 8:19 AM
    Hi there,

I was looking for some advice and guidance on my current situation and was hoping some people here maybe able to help.

Basically my company went into administration behinning of last month, all staff were made redundant with exception of me. I have been told that my services are to be retained for a minimum period of 3 months taking this to the end of October.

My question is this, i know i will be entitled to redunancy when they finallu dispense of my services, but what i am unsure of is if i would be also entitled to notice pay in lieu. Does anybody have any idea if i would be?

Thanks
Page 1
    • Undervalued
    • By Undervalued 11th Sep 17, 11:25 AM
    • 3,175 Posts
    • 2,893 Thanks
    Undervalued
    • 11th Sep 17, 11:25 AM
    • 11th Sep 17, 11:25 AM
    Hi there,

I was looking for some advice and guidance on my current situation and was hoping some people here maybe able to help.

Basically my company went into administration behinning of last month, all staff were made redundant with exception of me. I have been told that my services are to be retained for a minimum period of 3 months taking this to the end of October.

My question is this, i know i will be entitled to redunancy when they finallu dispense of my services, but what i am unsure of is if i would be also entitled to notice pay in lieu. Does anybody have any idea if i would be?

Thanks
    Originally posted by Markymark2017
    You are entitled to the correct notice but they can insist that you work it. Notice would be one week for each complete year of service up to a maximum of twelve (unless your contract specifies more).
    • Scorpio33
    • By Scorpio33 11th Sep 17, 11:30 AM
    • 471 Posts
    • 669 Thanks
    Scorpio33
    • 11th Sep 17, 11:30 AM
    • 11th Sep 17, 11:30 AM
    To me, the "minimum" word is key.

They do not know when they need you until, so they have not given you formal notice that you are leaving in october, they may need you for longer than this.

Technically, as long as they give the required notice, I don't think you would be entitled to any pay in lieu. But it really depends on how the company plays it from now on. Until things are definite you will not know.
    • Markymark2017
    • By Markymark2017 11th Sep 17, 12:37 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Markymark2017
    • 11th Sep 17, 12:37 PM
    • 11th Sep 17, 12:37 PM
    I have received nothing in writing other than a text from the administrator stating minimum end of October. So my interpretation is that i have not been made redundant nor have i received any written correspondence confirming anything, thus technically i believe i am due notice pay.

Ultimately i am unsure and i cant seem to find guidance anywhere as to my position.
    • Markymark2017
    • By Markymark2017 11th Sep 17, 12:38 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Markymark2017
    • 11th Sep 17, 12:38 PM
    • 11th Sep 17, 12:38 PM
    Thank you, i understand what im entitled to its just whether or not i will get it when im finally made redundant
    • Markymark2017
    • By Markymark2017 11th Sep 17, 1:50 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Markymark2017
    • 11th Sep 17, 1:50 PM
    • 11th Sep 17, 1:50 PM
    Thanks, There is 100% no potential for an alternative position as the company is closing.

I am just unsure whether or not I am essentially serving my notice now, whilst I am being "retained for a minimum of 3 months".

I am trying to work out what I will be due when I do leave, as I have 6 years full service so am entitled to 6 weeks redundancy. Just unsure on the notice pay side of things
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 11th Sep 17, 2:26 PM
    • 30,301 Posts
    • 18,120 Thanks
    getmore4less
    • 11th Sep 17, 2:26 PM
    • 11th Sep 17, 2:26 PM
    Notice will be the 6 weeks or contractual.

At some point they will have to give you notice of redundancy.

thy probably won't do that while they wind down as they won't want you trying counternotice.

if they are trying to sell off assets there is the potential for a TUPE.

Depends what you do and why they still need you.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,007Posts Today

7,636Users online

Martin's Twitter