Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • fil cad
    • By fil cad 11th Sep 17, 8:05 AM
    • 753Posts
    • 599Thanks
    fil cad
    This is interesting.
    • 11th Sep 17, 8:05 AM
    This is interesting. 11th Sep 17 at 8:05 AM
    https://twitter.com/bowen_nicholas/status/907008499665817600
    PPCs say its carpark management, BPA say its raising standards..... we all know its just about raking in the revenue.
Page 1
    • The Deep
    • By The Deep 11th Sep 17, 8:10 AM
    • 7,377 Posts
    • 6,421 Thanks
    The Deep
    • 11th Sep 17, 8:10 AM
    • 11th Sep 17, 8:10 AM
    He has an axe to grind

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2017/aug/26/parking-eye-takes-on-top-barrister-85-fine

This could get nasty for PE.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
    • pappa golf
    • By pappa golf 11th Sep 17, 11:18 AM
    • 7,640 Posts
    • 7,892 Thanks
    pappa golf
    • 11th Sep 17, 11:18 AM
    • 11th Sep 17, 11:18 AM
    Originally posted by The Deep

check court listing for that day , the courts made a mistake , no case was listed ,

the defendant used his "name" to get into court and talk to the judge , in many ways the barrister was the judges superior , and just accepted his words , costs of this amount should not have been allowed
    • pustit
    • By pustit 11th Sep 17, 11:22 AM
    • 144 Posts
    • 131 Thanks
    pustit
    • 11th Sep 17, 11:22 AM
    • 11th Sep 17, 11:22 AM
    The AA has genuine sympathy for drivers such as Bowen who take the advice to ‘take a break’ and then get penalised for overstaying their welcome, King adds. “Obviously, these areas need some parking restrictions in order to prohibit some from parking all day, but perhaps there should be a special area to allow tired drivers to sleep longer. However, if they overstay and are not in the car a ticket would be legitimate.”

Hope the PPCs don't pick up on that last sentence.
    They try "leaving site". Now they will be going for "leaving Car" !!!
    • trisontana
    • By trisontana 11th Sep 17, 11:30 AM
    • 8,943 Posts
    • 13,679 Thanks
    trisontana
    • 11th Sep 17, 11:30 AM
    • 11th Sep 17, 11:30 AM
    As most Motorway Service Areas are in the middle of nowhere I can't see why the PPCs think motorists would park there and go elsewhere for the day.

Once again we are at odds with the most of Europe where there are no such restrictions on parking in service areas.
    What part of "A whop bop-a-lu a whop bam boo" don't you understand?
    • fisherjim
    • By fisherjim 11th Sep 17, 11:38 AM
    • 2,580 Posts
    • 3,839 Thanks
    fisherjim
    • 11th Sep 17, 11:38 AM
    • 11th Sep 17, 11:38 AM
    As most Motorway Service Areas are in the middle of nowhere I can't see why the PPCs think motorists would park there and go elsewhere for the day.

Once again we are at odds with the most of Europe where there are no such restrictions on parking in service areas.
    Originally posted by trisontana
    I'm sure they don't but any site is a site to set up a scam in their minds
    Last edited by fisherjim; 11-09-2017 at 11:44 AM.
    • Castle
    • By Castle 11th Sep 17, 1:49 PM
    • 1,301 Posts
    • 1,687 Thanks
    Castle
    • 11th Sep 17, 1:49 PM
    • 11th Sep 17, 1:49 PM
    The AA has genuine sympathy for drivers such as Bowen who take the advice to ‘take a break’ and then get penalised for overstaying their welcome, King adds. “Obviously, these areas need some parking restrictions in order to prohibit some from parking all day, but perhaps there should be a special area to allow tired drivers to sleep longer. However, if they overstay and are not in the car a ticket would be legitimate.”

Originally posted by pustit
    Strange thing to say given that MSA's offer parking for up to 24 hours anyway; Welcome break for example:-
    https://www.welcomebreak.co.uk/about-us/parking/
    • reehsetin
    • By reehsetin 11th Sep 17, 2:30 PM
    • 4,816 Posts
    • 4,547 Thanks
    reehsetin
    • 11th Sep 17, 2:30 PM
    • 11th Sep 17, 2:30 PM
    Originally posted by pustit
    God forbid you need a pee after your nap
    Yes Your Dukeiness
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 11th Sep 17, 3:21 PM
    • 15,432 Posts
    • 24,135 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    • 11th Sep 17, 3:21 PM
    • 11th Sep 17, 3:21 PM

Originally posted by trisontana
    Car sharing rendezvous point. Four cars turn up early in the morning, three are parked up for the day, the three drivers jump into the 4th car, and all off to work.

Saves them on 3 x fuel costs, 3 x the daily hassle of finding car parking space near to work and 3 x daily parking charges.

Apparently hospital car parks in Scotland and Wales (with free parking) are clogged up with these types of chancers! Those campaigning for UK-wide free hospital car parking need to factor in the likely inadvertent consequence of such a facility and come up with a workable solution - but hospitals are unlikely to invest in barriers with no income coming in from parking, and are even more likely to jump into the clutches of a PPC offering 'free' car park management to them.
    We cannot provide you with a silver bullet to get you out of this. You have to be in for the long run, and need to involve yourself in research and work for you to get rid of this. It is not simple. We will help, but can't do it for you.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
    • fisherjim
    • By fisherjim 11th Sep 17, 3:27 PM
    • 2,580 Posts
    • 3,839 Thanks
    fisherjim
    Car sharing rendezvous point. Four cars turn up early in the morning, three are parked up for the day, the three drivers jump into the 4th car, and all off to work.

Saves them on 3 x fuel costs, 3 x the daily hassle of finding car parking space near to work and 3 x daily parking charges.

Apparently hospital car parks in Scotland and Wales (with free parking) are clogged up with these types of chancers! Those campaigning for UK-wide free hospital car parking need to factor in the likely inadvertent consequence of such a facility and come up with a workable solution - but hospitals are unlikely to invest in barriers with no income coming in from parking, and are even more likely to jump into the clutches of a PPC offering 'free' car park management to them.
    Originally posted by Umkomaas
    Is a good point but government, local authorities, and even hospitals (referring to staff) actively encourage car sharing, and using public transport but rarely provide out of town parking to support it.
    • safarmuk
    • By safarmuk 11th Sep 17, 3:45 PM
    • 613 Posts
    • 1,122 Thanks
    safarmuk
    What was the twitter profile update? I can't access it here ...
    • Half_way
    • By Half_way 11th Sep 17, 4:47 PM
    • 3,833 Posts
    • 5,410 Thanks
    Half_way
    What happened to the other class action action petition thing?
    From the Plain Language Commission:

"The BPA has surely become one of the most socially dangerous organisations in the UK"
    • beamerguy
    • By beamerguy 11th Sep 17, 6:23 PM
    • 6,333 Posts
    • 8,144 Thanks
    beamerguy
    What happened to the other class action action petition thing?
    Originally posted by Half_way
    He gave up and is now selling some sort of lifestyle product
    RBS - MNBA - CAPITAL ONE - LLOYDS

DISGUSTING BEHAVIOUR
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 11th Sep 17, 7:01 PM
    • 15,432 Posts
    • 24,135 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    He gave up and is now selling some sort of lifestyle product
    Originally posted by beamerguy
    I think it was pet food - seriously!
    We cannot provide you with a silver bullet to get you out of this. You have to be in for the long run, and need to involve yourself in research and work for you to get rid of this. It is not simple. We will help, but can't do it for you.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
    • beamerguy
    • By beamerguy 11th Sep 17, 8:25 PM
    • 6,333 Posts
    • 8,144 Thanks
    beamerguy
    I think it was pet food - seriously!
    Originally posted by Umkomaas
    yes, think you are right
    RBS - MNBA - CAPITAL ONE - LLOYDS

DISGUSTING BEHAVIOUR
    • Loadsofchildren123
    • By Loadsofchildren123 19th Sep 17, 3:45 PM
    • 1,588 Posts
    • 2,696 Thanks
    Loadsofchildren123
    Just an aside - Nick Bowen is Jeremy Bowen's brother - JB as in the well-known BBC journalist. I used him once many years ago in a case.
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 19th Sep 17, 4:04 PM
    • 15,432 Posts
    • 24,135 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    I used him once many years ago in a case.
    Depending on how one reads this, it does give two quite different pictures.

Was it a big case?

• Loadsofchildren123
    • By Loadsofchildren123 20th Sep 17, 9:20 AM
    • 1,588 Posts
    • 2,696 Thanks
    Loadsofchildren123
    Lol - I "used" him as Counsel, it wasn't a big case and it was many years ago, I just recognised him and when I look at his picture now he definitely resembles his brother, but I didn't think so at the time. I love trivia so was just sharing!!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

186Posts Today

1,287Users online

Martin's Twitter