Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 11th Sep 17, 6:59 AM
    • 1,920Posts
    • 12,890Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    What small DFW things will you do this week - w/c 11th September?
    • 11th Sep 17, 6:59 AM
    What small DFW things will you do this week - w/c 11th September? 11th Sep 17 at 6:59 AM
    What small DFW things will you do this week - w/c 4 September
    When we start out on the DFW trail we do loads of "big stuff" that makes quite a difference to our situation. These include having our lightbulb moment, cutting up the credit cards and cancelling Sky and the gym.

But once we have done the bigger stuff, we often feel that we are not making the same amount of progress, when in fact the small steps are helping us form good financial habits and helping us get closer everyday to staying in control and becoming debt free, or staying debt free.

Examples could be hanging washing out instead of using the tumble dryer or leaving your purse/wallet at home to avoid the risk of spending.

So be proud of those small steps, they really are important
Page 5
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 16th Sep 17, 7:05 PM
    • 4,610 Posts
    • 35,402 Thanks
    DawnW
    Evening all
    Good find on the bag FVD. Will you keep it or sell it?
    Not a great deal accomplished here today:

Dog walk, free exercise
    Tidied kitchen
    Bit of tidying in the garden, took some geranium plants that hadn't got very big out of a tub, and put them in pots in the bottom of the greenhouse, to at least give the a chance to survive the winter
    Picked another pile of cucumbers Luckily we are visiting DD1 tomorrow, hers didn't grow and one of her children eats cucumber with virtually everything, so they will be coming with us
    Sorted out some kitchen bits to take to DD1 (she asked for them)
    Meals from home
    Listed some more bits on ebay
    Not spent anything
    Loaf in BM

Several ebay auctions are ending tomorrow, so hopefully there will be some bidding wars going on this evening - some items already have bids They are only little things, so won't make much, but every little helps, as they say!
    Food/ household/supermarket spends for November - £223.90 / £250
    NSDs for November 10/12

• crunch_time
    • By crunch_time 16th Sep 17, 7:08 PM
    • 1,029 Posts
    • 2,773 Thanks
    crunch_time
    Evening all

I think I need to join this thread to keep me on the straight and narrow.

How does it work?
    Thanks
    Crunchy
    LBM June 2014. Original debt £23,555 vs Now £0 Paid off in April 2017. Since then lost my way a bit and then decided to move house and start a new course...
    NEW LBM: 16/9/17 NEW DEBT: £7232 Now: £7112 Paid off £120
    HMRC Savings £3222 £0 Long term savings (finally) £840
    • 1LuckyLady
    • By 1LuckyLady 16th Sep 17, 7:20 PM
    • 554 Posts
    • 5,456 Thanks
    1LuckyLady
    Evening all

I think I need to join this thread to keep me on the straight and narrow.

How does it work?
    Thanks
    Crunchy
    Originally posted by crunch_time
    Hey Crunchy, we either post up a list of "small things" we plan to do each day or "the small things" that we have achieved each day. Things like, walking instead of getting in the car, cutting open a bottle of shampoo to get the dregs, leaving your wallet/purse at home so as not to be tempted to spend. The first post has other suggestions.
    We always start a new thread on a Monday morning too.
    Sticking with the "Small things" thread to keep up us on the straight and narrow.
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 16th Sep 17, 7:24 PM
    • 3,705 Posts
    • 18,270 Thanks
    foxgloves
    Evening Saturday Savers,
    Stressful day. Back home now. Caffiene levels topped up & wine has now appeared. I have borrowed my Dad's car. Driving it 80 miles up the A1 in a series of deluges has proved that my eyesight has got worse & my glasses are crap. Defo need optician appt as hadn't done a long journey for ages & now feel like a squinty crone. Not sure if I've achieved any money saving, really, today & spent over £6 on treating Mum to cappucino & biscuits while we were out as she badly needed a change of scenery & I was in a caffiene-deprived stress.
    *Procured a free 'Guardian' courtesy of Mum's Waitrose loyalty card.
    *Was treated to some lovely sarnies & posh crisps for lunch.
    *Was given a bag of apples, 3 magazines, a knitting pattern, a jam jar (!) & £60 to add to savings.
    *Free exercise walking a couple of miles in the rain, which suited my mood perfectly.
    *Almost finished first item for knitting stall. Will complete it tonight & cast on next thing.
    *No heating on. If we want a bit of autumnal ambience in the evenings, we are switching the fairy lights on....I have a tastefully arranged tangle of these draped over my big over-mantel mirror.....well I SAY tasteful.....I like them, but I've always liked subdued lighting & probably get thru my bodyweight in tea lights each year!
    *Swerved a ' **** it we're stressed' takeaway tonight by getting tonight's meal out of the freezer first thing.
    I think that's it. My only aim for today was that it should happen without calamity.
    Wishing you all a peaceful evening,
    F (& cat, who is licking my trousers for some reason best left uninvestigated(
    xx
    Money can't jump out of your purse on its own so ask 'Can I borrow one, make one, grow one, bake one, re-purpose or recycle, acquire it for free?' Yes? Then put that purse away & keep your money because little savings grow!
    Loan pay-down fund instalment 2 = £120
    Payment received from surveys: 2015 = £320 2016 = £210 2017 = £294
    • carrielovesfanta
    • By carrielovesfanta 16th Sep 17, 8:29 PM
    • 1,280 Posts
    • 9,374 Thanks
    carrielovesfanta
    FatVonD - possibly try soaking the pan with soda crystals?

Foxgloves - it's funny you mention tea lights... I'm on the lookout for bargain ones. I'm sure I got 200 in B&M last year for like £2.99... has anyone seen any good deals yet?
    LBM 11/06/2010: DFD 30/04/2013
    Total repaid: £10,490.31

SAVINGS: £9433.44
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 16th Sep 17, 8:46 PM
    • 3,705 Posts
    • 18,270 Thanks
    foxgloves
    CLF - Agree soda crystals good for burnt pans. Also bicarb of soda. You wet the burned layer, sprinkle on a thick layer of bicarb of soda & leave for a day or two. I've known black burned on carbon clean right off after that treatment.

Tea lights - We get ours from IKEA. I think Wilko's have started doing larger packs recently too.
    F x
    Money can't jump out of your purse on its own so ask 'Can I borrow one, make one, grow one, bake one, re-purpose or recycle, acquire it for free?' Yes? Then put that purse away & keep your money because little savings grow!
    • FatVonD
    • By FatVonD 16th Sep 17, 9:06 PM
    • 4,950 Posts
    • 19,615 Thanks
    FatVonD
    Thank you both, I will try bicarbonate and soda crystals, the soap pads didn't budge it either. I do have a new pan in the house if pushed but it's part of a set I'm trying to sell on eBay (I borrowed them for a shoot about 8 years ago and never sent them back, they're nice but they are ridiculously heavy and not my colour.)

I second IKEA for tea lights.
    Make £5 a day in November £36.28/£150 (October £288.52, September £374.30, August £223.95, July £71.45, June £251.22, May£119.33, April £236.24, March £106.74, Feb £40.99, Jan £98.54)
    • Wittowoo
    • By Wittowoo 16th Sep 17, 9:19 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    Wittowoo
    What's DFW?
    • 1LuckyLady
    • By 1LuckyLady 16th Sep 17, 9:40 PM
    • 554 Posts
    • 5,456 Thanks
    1LuckyLady
    What's DFW?
    Originally posted by Wittowoo
    Its Debt free wannabe

Clf, I get mine from Ikea too
    Sticking with the "Small things" thread to keep up us on the straight and narrow.
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 17th Sep 17, 4:06 AM
    • 1,920 Posts
    • 12,890 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Another night of waking in the middle of the night no wind tonigh, so can't blame that - at least it gives me a chance to catch up on here busy few days but I have been keeping to DFW ways today I'm volunteering at a local sale (and selling stuff) so hopefully I'll make a few £ as well as decluttering some stuff too. I've got a car full

Other things :
    Roast chicken for tea from m&s 3 for £10 deal carcass will go in sc for stock ( have various frozen bits of cauli and broccoli stalk to go in too)
    Strip rest of meat off ^^ for another meal (or 2)
    Make a cake/biscuits
    Some knitting tonight
    Get ready for school, packed lunch bags etc...
    Make some pastry ready for a quiche filling tomorrow
    Check tomatoes
    Get some ideas for different biscuits from p1nterest and try not wonder off at a tangent
    Try and make a decision about holiday next year, we know what we'd like to do, just struggling to part with any cash

Right, cat has joined me to be a hot water bottle, so going to try and get 40 winks.
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 17th Sep 17, 7:17 AM
    • 6,572 Posts
    • 37,891 Thanks
    determined new ms
    Morning Hi Purps sorry you had such an early start! Hope you're not flagging later on! I woke up just before 6 and it was dark, I was disorientated and thought it was the middle of the night. Winter is coming!

FVD I saw a life hack video about liberally putting bicarb on a pan then putting lemon/line juice on it to get the black off the bottom.

Feeling motivated today Plans:

* going to the allotment. Going to cut down and dig over area where salad leaves were (now just a tangle of weeds!) and the cucumbers They did me proud though and still have about 5 in the fridge Having my first swede & sprouts with dinner
    * sew up madam's Jeans & my trousers
    * going to pick up the bed g
    * dinner will be spag as didn't make it yesterday - I'll have a portion of ratatouille out of the freezer sausages, mash & home grown veg instead as had so much ready. will cook spag for tomorrow
    * tidy up - if I'm not careful all of my work recently will be undone - why are we so untidy and why will oh not try to be more conscious??? What can I do to get him to be a bit more tidy???
    * think I'll suggest a walk in the woods later
    * more washing
    * generally relax and have nice family times
    * cake, yogurts & milk out of freezer to defrost Done
    * unpicked fish patch from a pair of madam's trousers she has grown out of to save for the next time we have a hole that needs covering Done
    * listed a couple of things on fleabay. Will photo and list 3 more things
    * ordered some lol dolls from fleabay. Madam's thing! They cost £10 each in Argos I just purchased 6 for £16.99. Money is sitting in little tin as we bought some on offer and has to *pay* for each one when she has enough only downside is there is a long wait for delivery. Can't have everything!

Ok jeez I feel like I should be getting on but it's only 7.16!
    Last edited by determined new ms; 17-09-2017 at 6:08 PM.
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Wombling '16 £287.33 Roadkill £28.25
    Wombling YTD £2982.2/Roadkill £8.63
    SFDs Oct 13/15 CC saved £2372.50
    • Frugal Saver
    • By Frugal Saver 17th Sep 17, 7:23 AM
    • 239 Posts
    • 597 Thanks
    Frugal Saver
    Good morning all. Haven't been able to post since midweek, after loosing my bus pass I found myself spending more money replacing it (car parking and daily passes) and a replacement card hasn't turned up so not a very money saving week I should have got in touch with the bus company but haven't found the time. Will get a replacement pass tomorrow for a grand total of 50p.

Trying to get back on track now, today's list;
    • Email nursery to confirm childcare vouchers are set up so they can amend the direct debit
    • Look for ideas for lunches for myself as I'm not a fan of sandwiches and leftovers not an option at the moment
    • Attend free event at Riverside Museum with LO
    • Keep spending to a minimum, might get food out depending on what time we go

Will probably think of more things once I post this but that's a good start I think.

Have a good Sunday everyone
    LBM September 2012
    Debt at LBM £10,573.00
    Savings at LBM £0
    Current debt £5,800 at 0%
    Current savings £3,800
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 17th Sep 17, 7:57 AM
    • 3,705 Posts
    • 18,270 Thanks
    foxgloves
    Morning Frugalistas,
    Today's money saving plans:
    *Transfer some money to savings.
    *Do our grocery shop (Aldi & prob Waitrose for cat biscuits which I hope are still on offer).
    *Prob free coffee while in Waitrose.
    *Make mince in slow cooker.
    *Purchase door handle from Wilko's. A couple of ours have been broken for the longest time & mr f reckons he can fit a new one himself. Fingers crossed!
    *Washer loaded & timer will be set for overnight laundry on cheap tariff.
    *Sort out what I need for pear chutney recipe.
    *Knit.
    *Make tomorrow's packed lunch.
    *Mr f planning to dig more potatoes.
    That'll be it for today as need to get stress levels under control.
    Love to all,
    F xx
    • carrielovesfanta
    • By carrielovesfanta 17th Sep 17, 9:17 AM
    • 1,280 Posts
    • 9,374 Thanks
    carrielovesfanta
    Morning folks

Thanks for the tealight suggestions. Would you believe that I've never even been to an Ikea? Our nearest is Warrington so it's probably a bit of a trek for tealights I'll keep an eye out in Wilkos though.

Did all my jobs yesterday like a pro. Have woken up with a headache today though which is unlike me... I'm hoping that a paracetamol and a coffee will shift it though. Might be because I woke up at 2.30 when OH got back from his gig. Generally a bit of a disaster although he did relate that a lady 10 years his senior took a bit of a shine to him. Conversation ended up going

lady: oh I like your beard
    OH: erm thanks
    lady: oh and you have a tattoo too. I love it.
    OH: er... thanks again
    lady: you have a beard, and a tattoo and you're a musician! You have everything
    OH: er......
    lady: Are you married?
    OH: yes
    lady: well that was a effing waste of time! *walks off*

Today's mission:
    • Meals from plan
    • Prep tomorrow's meals
    • Log cals in free app - have apparently shifted 2lbs. Def a step back in the right direction. - done
    • No drinking day
    • Reconcile budget sheet
    • Tidy round, washing away etc
    • Ask OH to hoover round - done
    • Ends of doom (I'm more than half way now. For those of you who saw the pic, there are 42 flowers and 6 ends per flower ). unfortunately I have to make another one for the other end of the blanky *cries*
    • Charge phone in work - done
    • Print out holiday paperwork in work. (we have run out of black ink... must source cartridge)
    • Look for other Sunday evening ideas than our usual cafe.
    • Facebook sale for a tenner. Man coming to pick item up at lunchtime. - done
    Have a good one all

clf x
    Last edited by carrielovesfanta; 17-09-2017 at 3:14 PM.

• Happy Kitties
    • By Happy Kitties 17th Sep 17, 10:02 AM
    • 351 Posts
    • 2,883 Thanks
    Happy Kitties
    purps I hope u manage to get your feet up today and have 5 minutes at some point. Sounds like you have a busy day ahead aswell
    crunchy welcome, this really is a great thread, lots of lovely people
    FVD I second the bicarb but use cheap white vinager with it -its great, even used it on the carpet to get stains out with the new kitten had a couple of accidents, no stains or anything left

Crashed out early last night so was up at 6am, was cold getting up so put my old scruffy Christmas reindeer jumper on. Windows now all open looks like it's going to be a nice day.
    Plans for today
    -spend no money
    -washing out
    -keep cleaning DD room that I started yesterday and then after a couple of hours stopped Bec my arms were killing me, they are still sore.
    DD is home next weekend with her boyfriend as we are going to a charity event on the Sunday. Hoping to get her bed changed and she has requested her flannette Christmas bedding on. Hoping to get it dry today.
    -still having trouble with amaz@n, will try again today.
    -phone not working properly so need to have a trek to a shop which even though is 3/4 hour away, if he can fix on the spot he will. He is brilliant, got my tablet sorted in no time and cheap too. He is the closest place. There are other shops I could take it to that are closer but what they do is use an internet service and then add an extra charge on top. I would rather travel to an official S@msung shop, know it's done properly. Only paid £20 to have my tablet fixed, they were suggesting ridiculous prices on the internet.
    Have a great day everyone x
    2017 birthday savings so far thru shopping frugally = 228.72 284.31 306.81 481.15:money.
    April grocery challenge £171.21/ £200 May GC £248.47/£190 June GC £87.69/ £190
    • FatVonD
    • By FatVonD 17th Sep 17, 11:47 AM
    • 4,950 Posts
    • 19,615 Thanks
    FatVonD
    Happy Sunday everyone, back at work tomorrow but only for a week and then on to my new job and new venture

I can't believe I've had two weeks off and the house still isn't tidy but it's better than it was. I need to think of the positives, I've made great strides with the new business, I have a fab new desk and I've managed to make over £250 selling stuff that was lurking around cluttering up the place.

So today:

I will try coating the pan in bicarbonate and vinegar, both of which I have to hand. Done, most of it is off and I'm doing it again for the stubborn bits it couldn't get to first time

I've just picked more cherry tomatoes, green but optimum size, to ripen on the windowsill. I really want those plants gone as they're really straggly and ugly now but there are whole trusses of baby ones still so I can't bring myself to do it.

List some more things on FB and then eBay or CS if no interest. Done

Salami and courgette pasta for dinner before DS eats the salami as a snack.Done, and a pot filled for lunch tomorrow

Wash kitchen floor.Does sweeping it count?

More tidying.Done, still a way to go

Old peoples bingo with mum (I really, really hate this but it makes her happy.)My mum cancelled so I have the evening to prepare for work tomorrow

Dawn, I'm going to keep the bag for now but it'll probably find its way onto eBay if the novelty wears off!The bag smells badly of cigarettes inside, I'm not sure how as it's clean so I have sprayed with fenreze and left to air inside out in the garden. Once it's dry I will put some Zar@ soaps that I bought in the sale to scent my knicker drawer inside for a bit!
    Last edited by FatVonD; 17-09-2017 at 5:22 PM.
    Make £5 a day in November £36.28/£150 (October £288.52, September £374.30, August £223.95, July £71.45, June £251.22, May£119.33, April £236.24, March £106.74, Feb £40.99, Jan £98.54)
    • carrielovesfanta
    • By carrielovesfanta 17th Sep 17, 12:27 PM
    • 1,280 Posts
    • 9,374 Thanks
    carrielovesfanta
    I've managed to make over £250 selling stuff that was lurking around cluttering up the place.
    Originally posted by FatVonD
    that's an excellent 2 weeks' work in itself!

• 1LuckyLady
    • By 1LuckyLady 17th Sep 17, 6:22 PM
    • 554 Posts
    • 5,456 Thanks
    1LuckyLady
    Evening all,

Its been another day at home which has been nice
    Today I've....
    * Used 2 more of the porridge sachets with a handful of raisins for the kids breakfast (2 more days supply left )
    * Had Mr t delivery, emailed a photo complaining about an item received and have just had an email back apologising and refunding the cost
    * Family all over for lunch to celebrate my Nieces birthday tomorrow, so we did her favourite Fajitas with salad (I provided the salad and wraps/spices, my dad brought the chicken and my sis brought the birthday cake which we had for dessert Much cheaper then the usual Sunday roast we have! (although I did miss the roast!)
    * Nieces birthday cards from stash and gift is already bought and paid for, as we're going for a day out next month to see the Harry Potter studio tour, got tickets for birthday pressies for both my kids and my niece as they all love HP!
    * Shared bath water & continuing use up of lotions and potions
    * Tea tonight is leftovers spag bol sauce with leftover mash (was meant to have this last night but didn't)
    * Made sandwiches for ds's for lunch tomorrow (kept a piece each of the birthday cake to go in the box too, means I can make the banana muffins tomorrow instead of today!)
    * Sorted out freezer as I have a muscle food order coming tomorrow, the freezer is pretty empty it just needed straightening
    * Ordered a couple more books from the library for ds1 as he's liking the first book of a series I got for him to try
    * Washed a load on the quick 30 degree wash and hung out to dry, its now all been put away with the exception of a couple of items that need ironing tomorrow
    * Dishwasher has been run several times to day but on the quick wash rather then a long wash
    * Gave my dad a list for a few bits I want from lidl when he next goes (he shops there and gets me the bits I need and I shop at Mr T and get the bits he wants from there for him )
    * Added 3 pairs of shorts to the charity shop bag I have on the go, gave my sis 3 tops that are now too big. I think that's my wardrobe sorted for quite some time now
    * Had to payout for a trip that ds2 is going on next month, its not cheap but he's been once before and I know he's going to love it. Posted off the cheque with a stamp from RM surveys
    * Put some love to shop vouchers in my purse that have come from RM, ready to use on Friday night when we pop to Iceland (that's becoming a regular little trip out to get some icecream for Friday night movie night treat )

I think that's about it!

Sounds like everyones having a productive weekend! Foxgloves, I hope your stress levels are reducing too.
    • FatVonD
    • By FatVonD 17th Sep 17, 9:01 PM
    • 4,950 Posts
    • 19,615 Thanks
    FatVonD
    Thanks all for the frying pan tips, it's now, if not as good as new (it's pretty old) at least as good as before DS used it!

I'm going to have and early night, I feel a bit shaky and light headed, I hope I'm not coming down with something.
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 17th Sep 17, 9:08 PM
    • 1,920 Posts
    • 12,890 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Am tired after a long but productive day. Sale went well, sold about 70% of my stuff including a pushchair, was slightly sad to see it go but the couple who bought it were lovely, so it's nice to think their daughter will get some use from it. Sorted the rest of stuff to be organised for next sale and put some stuff to one side for fleabay. Other things:

Stock brewing overnight, stripped chicken. Not lads but it was only small said served 2-3), done 4 for roast and we'll have risotto tomorrow and maybe a sandwich
    Made a quiche
    Made a Madeira cake, hope it's lovely. Will give me something to use my lemon zest fibre when I use lemon juice for hummus.
    Did some additional charity work tonight whilst I was in the mood
    Walked avor 12,000 steps due to volunteering, no need for gym today
    Only spent £1 on a piece of cake (it was for charity right )
    Bought a handful of items, 3 t shirts for eldest, 2 BN presents for my box and a load of books for smalls. Gave them 1 each, rest will go away for Christmas
    Will do some knitting for half an hour before bed.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,722Posts Today

9,073Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Sadly for those buying jointly "Where there are joint purchasers, all purchasers would need to be first-time buyers. "

• First time buyers usually defined as someone who has never owned or part owned a property https://t.co/yM3urZNs8z

• You will not pay stamp duty https://t.co/vHoCWiUXfo

• Follow Martin