Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 11th Sep 17, 6:59 AM
    • 1,916Posts
    • 12,872Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    What small DFW things will you do this week - w/c 11th September?
    • 11th Sep 17, 6:59 AM
    What small DFW things will you do this week - w/c 11th September? 11th Sep 17 at 6:59 AM
    What small DFW things will you do this week - w/c 4 September
    When we start out on the DFW trail we do loads of "big stuff" that makes quite a difference to our situation. These include having our lightbulb moment, cutting up the credit cards and cancelling Sky and the gym.

But once we have done the bigger stuff, we often feel that we are not making the same amount of progress, when in fact the small steps are helping us form good financial habits and helping us get closer everyday to staying in control and becoming debt free, or staying debt free.

Examples could be hanging washing out instead of using the tumble dryer or leaving your purse/wallet at home to avoid the risk of spending.

So be proud of those small steps, they really are important
Page 4
    • 1LuckyLady
    • By 1LuckyLady 14th Sep 17, 11:51 AM
    • 552 Posts
    • 5,447 Thanks
    1LuckyLady
    Morning (just) all,

Todays list
    * Continue using up cereals from the back of the cupboard before buying any more
    * Gym session & refill water bottle whilst there
    * Stick the sc on to make a use up bolognaise sauce, ys mince from the freezer, some courgettes that were on the turn, frozen onions, the tops/bottoms of peppers I;ve frozen over the last week or so, a few table spoons of baked beans that were left in the fridge etc
    * Take photos to send to ikea with a complaint I need to make photos taken and email complaint sent
    * Stock up ds2's medicine thingy and make sure I don't need to order more
    * Make a big pan of mashed potato as the potatoes we've had as jackets have had big bad bits in the middle
    * Sort out the bag I've set aside for recycling/charity shop as I think I've possibly mixed them up
    * Message a contact on FB to see if she wants any one ds2's old school uniform - save it from the recycling bin Yes she wants them, great
    * Update freezer list
    * All meals from stores
    * Make up a jelly out of the use up box
    * Look for a recipe to use some ys semolina - never used it before
    * Look for a banana bread/bun recipe
    * Check banking
    * Sort out washing
    * Keep heating off
    * Change ds's bedding over to winter duvet
    * Chop up banana skins and put them at the base of the roses in the garden
    * Slug patrol around the pots by my front door
    * Give both convection microwaves a good clean out, will use some cleaning stuff that was left in our tenanted house ages ago.

Hopefully I'll be back to add a load more to the list as I need to be productive as dh is working from home tomorrow and I've arranged a shopping day out with my mum so won't get much done tomorrow.

** Ironed just what needed doing and hung the rest away
    Last edited by 1LuckyLady; 14-09-2017 at 2:32 PM.
    Sticking with the "Small things" thread to keep up us on the straight and narrow.
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 14th Sep 17, 5:49 PM
    • 3,704 Posts
    • 18,258 Thanks
    foxgloves
    Thanks for your good wishes....today has been less stressful. It"s my Dad....he has such a difficult illness & we are very aware that every new drama could be his last. Well, when the going gets tough, the tough get planning so I've thrown myself at my job list today:
    *Baked sourdough loaf.....huge & crusty. Thank-you Al*i extra-strong bread flour. I usually buy the normal bread flour.
    *Baked pear & ginger muffins.
    *Two baths from one lot of hot water.
    *L/O chilli chicken & rice tonight served with a big wok-full of spicy courgettes.
    *Did my mid-month budget check-in. £12 adrift. Certainly not a spend so can only assume I've miscalculated one of this month's many fund shuffles.
    *Paid off CC in full.
    *Packed my summer clothes away & got winter ones out. Sandals washed & put away. Plenty of wear left in them for next year.
    *Wrapped birthday gifts using recycled paper & home made gift tag.
    *More knitting for craft stall.
    *Pension projection letter arrived. Mr f got one last week. Have put them safely ready to do a few Sensible Girl's sums at some point.
    *Did 2 surveys & 3 prize draws.
    *Meal planned for next 2 weeks. £90 left in grocery budget. Devoted more time to this than usual. If we are to stick within budget, it needed to be more than a list of meals & to use what we already have in plus our homegrown produce more effectively.
    *Made tomorrow's packed lunch which used up a couple of last bits of stuff.
    Enjoy your evenings all......& CCL get your feet up! I was always knacketed by Thursday night when I was working
    F xx
    Money can't jump out of your purse on its own so ask 'Can I borrow one, make one, grow one, bake one, re-purpose or recycle, acquire it for free?' Yes? Then put that purse away & keep your money because little savings grow!
    Loan pay-down fund instalment 2 = £120
    Payment received from surveys: 2015 = £320 2016 = £210 2017 = £294
    • FatVonD
    • By FatVonD 14th Sep 17, 6:33 PM
    • 4,940 Posts
    • 19,565 Thanks
    FatVonD
    Evening all, I've excelled in some areas but not others, I listed three things on the bay of e and designed not one, but two, cards.

I didn't manage the foam cutting as we had a shower and I'm feeling too lazy to cook so bought Mr T mini roasts (basically chicken breasts wrapped in bacon with stuffing balls and chipolatas and a sachet of gravy. I also bought ready made mash That said it's still cheaper than the fish and chips I was fancying.

I have ordered a fish incubator tank thingy from China for the translucent baby fish so I can pop them in it in the main tank as the filter doesn't seem to be working in the smaller one.

I picked a few more tomatoes but I still can't pull them out as there are still a few tiny green ones yet to ripen. I don't hold out much hope for any aubergines from Auby's last five flowers but you never know. I won't leave it too long as I'm going to cut him back a bit and put him inside in corner somewhere for the winter as I have read that they are perennial in warmer climes (maybe I'll just hang baubles on him )

It's getting really quite chilly here now, I have dug out the lovely boucle Cardigan/coat I bought on FB before the summer. When I'm in town next week I'm going to splash out on a pack of M&S black woolly tights for my new job (I opted for a skirt rather than trousers), I always used to put word out to make sure that's what secret Santa got me as I think it's a huge waste of money to get a 'joke' present or something you don't want, but I'm down to my last pair and even they have a hole in!

Have a lovely evening everyone
    Make £5 a day in November £8.09/£150 (October £288.52, September £374.30, August £223.95, July £71.45, June £251.22, May£119.33, April £236.24, March £106.74, Feb £40.99, Jan £98.54)
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 14th Sep 17, 7:30 PM
    • 1,916 Posts
    • 12,872 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Morning all. Much better sleep last night so happy Fairy today although I must meditate later, found it really helped the last couple of days as anxiety is higher than I would like. List for today:

Check banking, pay day tomorrow
    Check surveys and FPL
    Something from freezer for tea
    Take return back whilst in town for an appointment
    Use money from 'pot' for appointment - must remember to move it later
    Call idiotic energy supplier
    Find some hangers in loft
    Put some washing away and a quick tidy round
    Make a cake or biscuits. Try and find walnuts or make something else
    Walk later with friend for free exercise.
    Check tomatoes, got my first red ones yesterday. We're late developers here in the east mids
    Originally posted by PurpleFairy26
    Not too bad day, not made it in to loft, will defer until tomorrow. Did manage to find those pesky walnuts though (on top of the fridge freezer ) so indulged and made a coffee and walnut cake - my favourite, never done it before - now I know why.... uncooked coffee and walnut cake mix is almost nicer than the cooked version plus no-one in the house likes it (have a feeling DH may have his arm twisted tonight though!)

I also made a quiche to use up OOD cream, so we are having quiche and new pots for tea in a change to advertised listing

I popped to Mr W (as it was easiest ) for some tea bags - got some at a great price as on offer. I also got 5 lots of YS meat, which has been portioned for freezer. I put back the YS clotted cream back (as I had put full price scones in my trolly to go with, which also went back ) paid on my c/b card so will get 5% extra back too Got free mag and latte in to boot.

DH home, enjoy your evening folks
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 15th Sep 17, 6:07 AM
    • 6,572 Posts
    • 37,890 Thanks
    determined new ms
    Morning whoop we made it to Friday 5.5 hours of work and then I'm free for 3 days

Woke up just after 5 as madam got in bed with us - bed just isn't big enough for 3!

Last night madam fell asleep around 5! So I had the evening to myself. I set about baking cookies, chocolate courgette cakes and stewed the apples for crumble to take to friend's tonight for dinner. Just need to make the crumble and assemble Ha ha I was making the cake and as I was pouring it in the tins it just didn't seem as liquidy as previously and I couldn't figure it out. Until it was all in the tins and I realised I hadn't added the courgette! Cue me scraping it all out, adding courgette and pouring it in again

Anyway things for today:

* make lunch. Put oh's los in tupperware
    * put crumble topping together
    * frozen 4 x 1/2 loaves of cake - that should keep us going a few weeks
    * hang out washing that's been on the heated drier all night but still a little damp - madam's bedding & a hoodie of mine... Pretty chuffed as I had a turmeric stain on it and after investigation on the tinternet I was advised to put lemon juice on it which I did and the stain has gone
    * make note of mileage and put in diary for end of the month expenses
    * NSD
    * free exercise
    * think I'll pop to the allotment with madam after school and pick some runner beans and beetroot for my friend (she loves beetroot). I figure that's as good as a bottle of vino riiiiiiiiight?! She's not a drinker and I have to drive as she lives about 45 mins away...

Ok nothing exciting or glamorous but I'm ok with that have a great day guys x
    Last edited by determined new ms; 15-09-2017 at 6:20 AM.
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Wombling '16 £287.33 Roadkill £28.25
    Wombling YTD £2982.2/Roadkill £8.63
    SFDs Oct 13/15 CC saved £2372.50
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 15th Sep 17, 6:18 AM
    • 6,572 Posts
    • 37,890 Thanks
    determined new ms
    Whoop the childminder assistant has agreed to help me collect a bed base bought from flaeaby (£62 for a Hermes super king size bed frame ) Cost is going to be petrol, a bottle of fizz and lunch Think I'll make her a red velvet cake to say thank you!
    DF as at 30/12/16
    • carrielovesfanta
    • By carrielovesfanta 15th Sep 17, 10:59 AM
    • 1,272 Posts
    • 9,347 Thanks
    carrielovesfanta
    Morning all

Foxgolves - sending much love to you, your dad and family

I'm having a lazy ish morning and a home day today I think. OH made remarks about "getting into the shed for a clear out". We'll see if he's so keen today!

Sold a few more bits yesterday. We also applied the new weatherstrip to the door. Unfortunately it was too wide (but we needed to fill very deep gaps). There was some wastage but I cut it in half down the middle and it does appear to have helped.

Yesterday's round up:
    • Big shop - stick to list done.
    • Meals from plan done.
    • Book train tickets for mammoth journey with my mum - done. Booked all singles for money saving
    • Washing out for a bit as we're supposed to be mostly dry today! done.
    • Gym this morning done.
    • Try to arrange item pick up from Facebook sale done.
    Originally posted by carrielovesfanta
    Today:
    • Sort shed - done
    • Sort garden - done
    • Pick green tomatoes and try to ripen with banana
    • List more bits on Facebook to sell - done
    • Look at Christmas crochet patterns
    • Sew in more ends of doom (SO. MANY. ENDS. )
    • Meals from plan
    • Pick up meat from work when it arrives - done
    • Pick up tin of chickpeas for tagine - swapped dinner out for sausage hash instead
    Have a good one all

clf x
    Last edited by carrielovesfanta; 15-09-2017 at 2:50 PM.
    LBM 11/06/2010: DFD 30/04/2013
    Total repaid: £10,490.31

SAVINGS: £9433.44
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 15th Sep 17, 11:25 AM
    • 3,704 Posts
    • 18,258 Thanks
    foxgloves
    CLF - Ripening green tomatoes isn't difficult. It's just that they sort of sit there looking so very green, you kind of can't imagine them ever turning red, but they usually do. Sometimes they will ripen if you just leave them on a tray in a sunny window sill. I have been doing this, but the temperature is set to drop over the next few days, so I'm going to step up my ripening today. I pop all the green tomatoes in a paper bag, fold over & peg the top closed & simply leave it sitting in my veg basket. It helps if you have a red tomato or even one which is turning red to put in there with them. I've never tried putting a banana in the bag with them, but I don't see why it wouldn't work if you don't have a ripe tomato. If you truly have tons of green ones, then green tomato chutney is nice, but I bet they will ripen fine with the paper bag method. One year I had so many green ones, I had to use a Body Shop brown paper carrier bag but they still all turned red in there, apart from one or two that were too tiny to pick in the first place.
    F x
    P.S Thanks for your good wishes. Difficult times, am doing lots of batch cooking for the stress! Soon be time for Freezer Tetris again!
    Money can't jump out of your purse on its own so ask 'Can I borrow one, make one, grow one, bake one, re-purpose or recycle, acquire it for free?' Yes? Then put that purse away & keep your money because little savings grow!
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 15th Sep 17, 11:42 AM
    • 3,704 Posts
    • 18,258 Thanks
    foxgloves
    Morning Money Savers,
    Busy day so far. Feeling very motivated on the frugal front. Here's today's list.
    *Discussed heating with mr f over breakfast. He is even more adamant than me that it isn't being switched on until October. Only using the heated towel rail over overnight on cheap tariff at the moment as it isn't cold enough for heating, but it isn't warm enough for towels to dry, either.
    *Cleaned whole of downstairs using minimal products & washable cloths. Will do upstairs in a minute when I sign out of here.
    *Another 500g tomatoes had ripened on my tray so have put away in the fridge. It's going to get colder from today, so the remaining green ones (about 1.5k, at a guess) will be put in a paper bag to ripen instead.
    *Did a couple of surveys & a prize draw.
    *Changed towels & loaded washer for cheap overnight laundry - will check forecast for the best drying day as any outside drying now is a bonus & means not paying for the heated airer every single time.
    *Check sweetcorn for ripeness. I unpiggled one the other day & tried the fingernail test & it did seem to be pretty much ripe. Will double-check & pick a couple to go with tonight's meal.
    *Cut bowl of rocket leaves. These grow so well in large plastic troughs & will keep going if moved into the greenhouse. Frost was in the forecast this morning, but I was supervising cat & didn't notice what day.
    *Start shopping list, having done a comprehensive meal plan yesterday. Check cupboards. ALL cupboards, including household cupboard. A few occasions in recent weeks where I have failed to do this or missed something lurking at the back & ended up buying something we already had in stock unopened.
    *Delve into depths of linen cupboard for an Indian bedspread I'd forgotten about, just in case it is big enough/suitable to make my conservatory door curtain. I'd prefer something warmer but could always line it with something. It's going to be double-sided as it's to go in a doorway, rather than over an actual door, so the 'insides' of the curtain won't be visible. My kitchen door curtain (made from vintage 1980s furnishing fabric samples) has a warm throw sewn into the middle for an invisble warm extra layer. Anyway, am still thinking how to tackle this project without the £55 it would have cost me if I bought the fabric I saw earlier this week.
    *mr f cooking tonight - he's cooking some of the aberdeen angus burgers we found in the YS fridge at Sainso's the other week. Will have those in home baked bread rolls with the aforementioned rocket, tomatoes & corn-on-the-cob.
    *Knit, knit, knit. I am not going to get nearly as much done in time for these craft stalls as I'd have liked, but I have got all my handknitted stuff already made for Christmas presents, so that's something. Any extra cash from the stalls will be useful to replenish savings used for building work, new vacuum & new washing machine. They were our 'first line of defence' level of savings & I feel quite wobbly without them!
    *Earned another £5 survey income, so have updated my signature. Will use for a Christmas present.
    OK, must go & reunite myself with Mr Dyson (cat will be incandescent!) & get upstairs done, then I will treat myself to a hot bubble bath, hair pamper & maybe watch 'Cold Feet'.
    Love to all,
    F xx
    • carrielovesfanta
    • By carrielovesfanta 15th Sep 17, 2:52 PM
    • 1,272 Posts
    • 9,347 Thanks
    carrielovesfanta
    CLF - Ripening green tomatoes isn't difficult. It's just that they sort of sit there looking so very green, you kind of can't imagine them ever turning red, but they usually do. Sometimes they will ripen if you just leave them on a tray in a sunny window sill. I have been doing this, but the temperature is set to drop over the next few days, so I'm going to step up my ripening today. I pop all the green tomatoes in a paper bag, fold over & peg the top closed & simply leave it sitting in my veg basket. It helps if you have a red tomato or even one which is turning red to put in there with them. I've never tried putting a banana in the bag with them, but I don't see why it wouldn't work if you don't have a ripe tomato. If you truly have tons of green ones, then green tomato chutney is nice, but I bet they will ripen fine with the paper bag method. One year I had so many green ones, I had to use a Body Shop brown paper carrier bag but they still all turned red in there, apart from one or two that were too tiny to pick in the first place.
    F x
    P.S Thanks for your good wishes. Difficult times, am doing lots of batch cooking for the stress! Soon be time for Freezer Tetris again!
    Originally posted by foxgloves
    Thanks for all the info

The last two years I have lost the whole crop to blight and this year they just didn't ripen, but the plants are on the way out. I have tonnes of them. I have made green tomato chutney before but we have lots left. I'm hoping to ripen them and then roast and blitz into tomato soup.

Just had a massive sort out of the shed and garden. All tomato planets cleared. Several brambles and other weeds removed. Cut back the oregano and had a good sweep round.
    OH took everything out of the shed. Considering we already KonMari'd it last year (or possibly the year before?) there was a lot of carp... it has all left for the tip now barring 2 tins of paint that must be taken to a different tip.

Time to relax for a bit before heading to town and playing badminton with brother in law and nephew.
    Last edited by carrielovesfanta; 15-09-2017 at 2:57 PM.

• La escocesa
    • By La escocesa 16th Sep 17, 8:42 AM
    • 2,925 Posts
    • 18,497 Thanks
    La escocesa
    Hello there my lovely lot

Hope you are all doing ok today.

We went to the theatre last night - cost us £12 all in. SFF tickets for the 2 x £2 booking fee, £2 parking and £6 for 2 drinks.

Off to the theatre again tonight - won't be so cheap!

Also booked the hall for job #2 - go me - so there's no turning back (for at least the next few months while I try to build it up...) Going to do a bit of advertising/emailing etc today...

Need to:
    Tidy round
    Put washing away
    Look for local hairdressers looking for models because I fancy a change and a free haircut
    Going for a pre-theatre deal so cheaper than your average lunch out

I've got bananas that are looking past their best so going to make some banana pancakes. Maybe just freeze one for smoothies too.

Probably lots more - catch up soon!
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 16th Sep 17, 8:54 AM
    • 1,916 Posts
    • 12,872 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Hello there my lovely lot

Hope you are all doing ok today.

We went to the theatre last night - cost us £12 all in. SFF tickets for the 2 x £2 booking fee, £2 parking and £6 for 2 drinks.

Off to the theatre again tonight - won't be so cheap!

Also booked the hall for job #2 - go me - so there's no turning back (for at least the next few months while I try to build it up...) Going to do a bit of advertising/emailing etc today...

Need to:
    Tidy round
    Put washing away
    Look for local hairdressers looking for models because I fancy a change and a free haircut
    Going for a pre-theatre deal so cheaper than your average lunch out

I've got bananas that are looking past their best so going to make some banana pancakes. Maybe just freeze one for smoothies too.

Probably lots more - catch up soon!
    Originally posted by La escocesa
    La E just a thought about your biz, 'wellbeing' is the big 'buzz' word in lots of corporate organisations at the moment and we all know yoga is a really good part of that both for the body and mind, so could you e mail some big corporates in your area and ask if you can advertise your classes to support their 'wellbeing strategy' some may even consider paying for a taster for their employees. Just a thought.

Enjoy the theatre tonight x
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 16th Sep 17, 9:01 AM
    • 6,572 Posts
    • 37,890 Thanks
    determined new ms
    Morning La E what's SFF tickets?

feeling groggy after not getting home and to bed until 1.30 - I've still got it - no alcohol involved as friend doesn't drink, I was at her house and had to drive 40 mins back in the dead of the night Tis true that we feel rough after a night out because of lack of sleep rather than alcohol! Was so nice to see this friend. wish she lived nearer as only get to see her a few times a year. Have planned we'll go away to Brighton for a night of dancing and frivolity in November near my birthday

Today we are off to Paws in the Park a dog show festival thingy. Madam is nuts about dogs so hope she loves it. Will take packed lunches, snacks and drinks to keep the cost down...

school uniform in machine now and will hang on line

hope to get to the allotment for an hour at some point. Time to start clearing things away. Cucumbers & broccoli have finished, as has salad area. Beans, courgettes (can't believe how late these are still producing!), leeks, chard, beetroot, turnips & raspberries productive/ready now. Parsnips, swedes and squashes not far from harvest awwwww it's soooooo rewarding, if a lot of work!

Might get oh to get a bottle of vino later but might just scratch around and throw a cocktail together so as not to spend Depends if we end up spending any money. Might be real tight and refuse to open my purse! ha ha maybe I'll just *accidentally* leave my purse at home

check meal plan and get something out of freezer

Think we'll have pancakes before heading out

need to pay for bed frame I'm collecting tomorrow £62 plus petrol, bottle of fizz and quick lunch - gotta be less than £40 right? - for a £320 bed

Fix madam's chest of drawers

Ok really need to find some energy and get ready
    DF as at 30/12/16
    • carrielovesfanta
    • By carrielovesfanta 16th Sep 17, 9:33 AM
    • 1,272 Posts
    • 9,347 Thanks
    carrielovesfanta
    Morning folks

Early start for me in the gym after a slightly late night (I really need my sleep!) so feeling a tad groggy too. Not nearly as hardcore as you though DNMS!

Went to play badminton and table tennis last night and I've discovered that I find games really really boring. I always thought I hated games because I was rubbish at them and not fit enough, but nope... actually I just get bored really easily!

Got back far too late from badminton to cook so picked up tortellini from Tesco (better than a takeaway... I remember how that ended up last week). Also resisted OH asking if I wanted a beer or two (truth yes, but sense decrees no). He's not exactly helpful to me cutting down!

Roundup
    • Sort shed - done
    • Sort garden - done
    • Pick green tomatoes and try to ripen with banana
    • List more bits on Facebook to sell - done
    • Look at Christmas crochet patterns - nope
    • Sew in more ends of doom (SO. MANY. ENDS. ) - some more done
    • Meals from plan - swapped dinner out
    • Pick up meat from work when it arrives - done
    • Pick up tin of chickpeas for tagine - swapped dinner out
    Originally posted by carrielovesfanta
    Today:
    • Early gym session - done
    • Charge phone in work - done
    • Meals from plan - done
    • Prep tomorrow's meals - done
    • Put tomatoes in bag - done
    • Tidy round - done
    • Ends of doom - done
    • List a couple of bits on Facebook (blimey people are chancers... listed an item at £40 and was offered £10!) - another thing sold for £10
    • Sort washing - done
    Wow... surely I must be doing something more exciting than that?

Have a good one all

clf x
    Last edited by carrielovesfanta; 16-09-2017 at 8:26 PM.

• La escocesa
    • By La escocesa 16th Sep 17, 9:47 AM
    • 2,925 Posts
    • 18,497 Thanks
    La escocesa
    Morning ladies!

Purps, thank you, yes! I do need to do this, but I feel like I would only be able to give it a good go if I got out of the corporate world myself... It's kinda like if I want to really go for it and make it work then it's a whole full-time job in itself. I'm also in an awkward position because I know yoga teachers trying to make it full time who get upset by us part-timers 'stealing' their students for a little class here and there when we don't need the money/it's not our sole income. And if those students weren't coming to my class they'd go to theirs and those extra students could make all the difference for their small business. No joke, I have had this very conversation with a friend.

DNMS - Show Film First I'm pretty sure I used to only get cinema tickets but now it's always theatre ones.

Morning carrie

xxx
    • Happy Kitties
    • By Happy Kitties 16th Sep 17, 10:44 AM
    • 347 Posts
    • 2,866 Thanks
    Happy Kitties
    Morning everyone
    Well DD has now moved into her halls. It was a 8 1/2 hour round trip for me yesterday, woke really early this morning, my arms were killing me and joints sore. I def overdid it yesterday.
    Looked in her bedroom, doesn't look like she has gone anywhere-its still a mess!!! Aiming to give it a clean and a tidy today.
    DD is in catered halls, we worked out the cost of each meal for what she was getting, well worth paying the extra as DD suffers from chronic fatigue and she said the food is really good.
    Also took a lot of food with her for snacks and lunches as DD has an extremely high metabolic rate.
    DD is very astute with money, I can tell she will be keeping the money saving faith. It was funny to see lots of students like ducklings all along the road back to the halls all carrying shopping bags from a nearby Tesc@.
    I have to pop out later to do a quick job but other than that it's a quiet day just doing some cleaning. No spends at all.
    Hoping to try and crack Amaz@n aswell to put on DD old textbooks
    foxgloves interested in what u said about the heating. I've got all the windows open, its not warm but cold either, just nice. I'm also hoping that the heating will stay off until Oct.
    LaE really good spends with the theatre, I wish we had something like that nearby. Nearest theatre 3/4 hour away and not cheap.
    DNMS Paws in the Park sounds great, I'm sure madam will enjoy.

Have a great day everyone x
    2017 birthday savings so far thru shopping frugally = 228.72 284.31 306.81 481.15:money.
    April grocery challenge £171.21/ £200 May GC £248.47/£190 June GC £87.69/ £190
    • FatVonD
    • By FatVonD 16th Sep 17, 1:08 PM
    • 4,940 Posts
    • 19,565 Thanks
    FatVonD
    Afternoon all!

My day has started well as a FB buyer has just picked up my old desk.

I'm considering printing out my Mr T vouchers to pay towards a big shop. The fridge is looking a little bare and I want to stock up on cheap cat litter. The expensive stuff IS better but not four or five times better!

I need to look up what herbs will make it through the winter and plant those somewhere more permanent. My herb window box doesn't look anything like as beautiful and orderly as I imagined, who knew fennel grew so tall?!

I've decided to get rid of my wild strawberries, they grow well but the fruits are tiny and the space could be put to better use. I'm going to take them out with a good clump of soil and throw them in the brambles out the back where they will hopefully take root.

The tomatoes are for the chop today, the last few can go on the windowsill to ripen and the salvia that is currently under the wall baskets and gets misshapen by the drips is getting promoted to being in the wall basket.

Actually, scotch all the above gardening stuff, we seem to have a sudden downpour!

HappyKitties, I am still leaving the windows and doors open during the day, it gets chilly at night but I like to air the house whenever possible (DS smokes, only in his room, but it still seeps out whenever he opens the door and it is foul.)

I have more tidying up to do, I'm gradually shifting the clutter (and making money from it!) but there's still a way to go so best get on with it!
    Last edited by FatVonD; 16-09-2017 at 1:10 PM.
    Make £5 a day in November £8.09/£150 (October £288.52, September £374.30, August £223.95, July £71.45, June £251.22, May£119.33, April £236.24, March £106.74, Feb £40.99, Jan £98.54)
    • 1LuckyLady
    • By 1LuckyLady 16th Sep 17, 2:28 PM
    • 552 Posts
    • 5,447 Thanks
    1LuckyLady
    Afternoon all,

HK, Glad that your dd got moved in ok.

I've managed to get a day at home today which is unusual for a Saturday but I'm enjoying it! (plus if we aren't out we can't be tempted into opening my purse!)

Todays list
    * Kids had ys bread for toast out of the freezer
    * I had one of the sachets of porridge that I'm trying to use up (these were bought to take on holiday but not used and just taking up space in the cupboard) There were 7 sachets left so I've had one and then the ds's can have 1 each a day Mon-Wed to get them finished
    * Got kids sorted with their homeworks, got ds2 to print something he needed using some salvaged paper from rm surveys
    * Got a Paul Hollywood tear & share bread mix out of my use up box (BBE feb 2017) these were free to us via a cashback site last year, made this and served with my homemade butter nut squash and tomato soup for a lovely Autumn lunch (Still have 2 more bread mixes to use up)
    * Messaged my sis about lunch tomorrow as we're having a birthday lunch for my niece whose birthday is in the week. She's bringing a cake so no need for me to think of a dessert!
    * Mr T shop booked for tomorrow, need to go on and edit it to just get the basics so that I can continue with the use up of what we already have in.
    * Meal tonight is leftover mince & mash
    * Check recipe again for banana muffins to make sure I have all the ingredients needed when I make these tomorrow to use up the banana's ready for ds's lunch boxes next week Yes just need to order Bicarb, also found a recipe for red lentil soup, will make this after my delivery tomorrow as I have celery and onions coming anyway. I've two part bags of lentils in the use up box.
    * Movie night with the kids, they're asking for Tron Legacy, think its on Now tv so should be ok, will give them a little bowl of popcorn each too out of the snack box.
    * Heating still off but the house is feeling quite cold today, blankets out on the sofa ready to snuggle under

Think that's about it, have a lovely weekend everyone.

Found ds1's recommended reading list, so have added the first 6 on the list onto the library holds list, don't think ds will be very keen on some of them mind!
    Last edited by 1LuckyLady; 16-09-2017 at 3:54 PM.
    Sticking with the "Small things" thread to keep up us on the straight and narrow.
    • carrielovesfanta
    • By carrielovesfanta 16th Sep 17, 3:17 PM
    • 1,272 Posts
    • 9,347 Thanks
    carrielovesfanta
    I'm considering printing out my Mr T vouchers to pay towards a big shop. The fridge is looking a little bare and I want to stock up on cheap cat litter. The expensive stuff IS better but not four or five times better!
    Originally posted by FatVonD
    Would it be worth mixing say 2/3rd cheap litter to 1/3 expensive litter?

• FatVonD
    • By FatVonD 16th Sep 17, 5:19 PM
    • 4,940 Posts
    • 19,565 Thanks
    FatVonD
    That's worth a try, CLF, there is just a thin scattering of the expensive one at the moment, I could top it up with the cheapie and see what happens!

1LL, your use up box sounds like a treasure trove of goodies!

I did a shop at Mr T and only spent £20 in actual money. This included a pack of pan scouters to get 1/4 inch of burned on whatever off the frying pan after DS cooked fajitas rather than buying a new frying pan. I tried my usual boiling clothes washing detergent in it but even that wouldn't shift it (though it was liquid, I've always used the powder in the past.)

I dropped an item to the charity shop and ended up buying a Jan Constantlne weekend bag I'm not planning on going anywhere but it is fab.

Will be cooking the mini roasts that I bought several days ago for dinner tonight, I keep meaning to cook them and then DS goes out with his mates and there is too much for just one person.

Just about to have a nice hot bath and settle down for the evening.

Have a good one all

Edit: Just looked up my bag (it's the Union Jack one) and they are £72 new
    Last edited by FatVonD; 16-09-2017 at 5:27 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,101Posts Today

5,348Users online

Martin's Twitter