Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 11th Sep 17, 6:59 AM
    • 1,915Posts
    • 12,872Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    What small DFW things will you do this week - w/c 11th September?
    • 11th Sep 17, 6:59 AM
    What small DFW things will you do this week - w/c 11th September? 11th Sep 17 at 6:59 AM
    What small DFW things will you do this week - w/c 4 September
    When we start out on the DFW trail we do loads of "big stuff" that makes quite a difference to our situation. These include having our lightbulb moment, cutting up the credit cards and cancelling Sky and the gym.

But once we have done the bigger stuff, we often feel that we are not making the same amount of progress, when in fact the small steps are helping us form good financial habits and helping us get closer everyday to staying in control and becoming debt free, or staying debt free.

Examples could be hanging washing out instead of using the tumble dryer or leaving your purse/wallet at home to avoid the risk of spending.

So be proud of those small steps, they really are important
Page 2
    • 1LuckyLady
    • By 1LuckyLady 11th Sep 17, 6:15 PM
    • 552 Posts
    • 5,447 Thanks
    1LuckyLady
    Oh Frugal Saver, what a day! Hope the new pass arrives quickly for you

Ds1 has been having school dinners this last week at his new school but I don't want him to have them everyday going forward as its going to cost me a fortune and he's not making very healthy choices (mainly chips so far!). So I'm thinking that on the 2 days he has gym he can have dinners (as the amount of kit they have to carry is huge!) and the other 3 days he will take sandwiches etc but I could do with a easy/healthyish/cheapish cookie/biscuit/traybake type recipe/ ideas so that he's not feeling left out whilst his mates are filling up on giant cookies/ brownies from the school canteen. Any ideas? My usual sweet treat for them of the date cake won't cut it!
    Last edited by 1LuckyLady; 11-09-2017 at 6:22 PM.
    Sticking with the "Small things" thread to keep up us on the straight and narrow.
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 11th Sep 17, 6:48 PM
    • 4,602 Posts
    • 35,353 Thanks
    DawnW
    Evening all
    Thanks for the start PF
    Nice to see new posters
    But sorry to hear of your mare of a day Frugal Saver

My day looks like this:
    NSD
    HM food from the considerable amount I have here
    Made a loaf in the BM, which was mostly demolished warm from the breadmaker for lunch (DD and GD came for lunch)
    Picked raspberries, blueberries, and some of the French beans, before I was rained off!
    OH bought back a bag of pears someone had given him
    Cleaned sales items and took new stock to sales unit
    Brought some back, unfortunately, which will need to be put away
    Listed a couple of things on ebay
    A bit of tidying / throwing out rubbish, bins are collected tomorrow morning, and my bin is never normally full, so it was easy to fit in an extra bag of carp
    Had a phone call from the hospital consultant I have been seeing. She says they are still not sure what I have, and would like to put me on an observational clinical trial. Happy to go along with this, although I feel fine so feel a bit of a fraud, and can't help thinking they will end up saying there is nothing wrong with me at all apart from my yucky gall bladder which is coming out anyway But it looks as though I will have regular 30 odd mile trips to and from hospital for the near future

Still to do:
    Check banks
    Check again for surveys (already done a few for onepoll)
    Think about putting sales stock away!
    Food/ household/supermarket spends for November - £210.25 / £250
    NSDs for November 9/12

• DawnW
    • By DawnW 11th Sep 17, 7:10 PM
    • 4,602 Posts
    • 35,353 Thanks
    DawnW

Ds1 has been having school dinners this last week at his new school but I don't want him to have them everyday going forward as its going to cost me a fortune and he's not making very healthy choices (mainly chips so far!). So I'm thinking that on the 2 days he has gym he can have dinners (as the amount of kit they have to carry is huge!) and the other 3 days he will take sandwiches etc but I could do with a easy/healthyish/cheapish cookie/biscuit/traybake type recipe/ ideas so that he's not feeling left out whilst his mates are filling up on giant cookies/ brownies from the school canteen. Any ideas? My usual sweet treat for them of the date cake won't cut it!
    Originally posted by 1LuckyLady
    Flapjacks are good, and you could shove some dates in if you wanted to I always cut the amount of sugar in these as I find the recipes over sweet, and that isn't healthy, is it!
    Any kind of cookies (loads of recipes on the net if you don't have any). Choc chip ones are always popular I find!
    Muffins are always popular - the ones that include fresh fruit are the nicest - we are having raspberry ones atm as I am picking raspberries every day
    NSDs for November 9/12

• PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 11th Sep 17, 7:25 PM
    • 1,915 Posts
    • 12,872 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26

I made the chocolate chip cookies (ultimate make over ones) from good food this morning, never done them before. Not too bad at all. Also 'twinks hobnobs' from here go down a storm with my two.

Does he like bread dough? As chelsea bun type swirl things are easy and cheap to make and you can put fruit (dates etc...) in and roll up.
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 11th Sep 17, 7:29 PM
    • 3,704 Posts
    • 18,256 Thanks
    foxgloves
    Hi again,
    I got about 3/4s of my list done. The money saving bits were:
    *Laundry done overnight on cheap electricity tariff.
    *Did rubber chicken duties. It did a big roast dinner yesterday, a lighter one tonight, I have enough meat left for a nice stew tomorrow plus some contributions frozen towards mr f's next epic man stew. Carcass went in slow cooker for a big jug of stock.
    *Turned some of our pear glut into BBQ sauce - 9 jars & a small plastic container.
    *Then went outside & picked up......more windfall pears! They are neverending this year!
    *Watered washing-up liquid dregs to get an extra few days. Plenty of suds if squirted straight onto wet washing-up sponge.
    *Made tomorrow's packed lunch & breakfast.
    *Made a long list of stuff I can usefully do in town tomorrow when I have the car, as will save having to pay to park again.
    *NSD!!!
    *Turned out the Presents Box & made a list of contents. Made a note of autumn & winter birthday cards required & counted Christmas cards.
    *Knit items for sale.
    *All free leisure - watched a tv prog on catch-up, listened to another 2 discs of current audiobook & updated my blog.
    Welcome to our new posters. This thread really helps with day to day financial focus.
    F x
    Money can't jump out of your purse on its own so ask 'Can I borrow one, make one, grow one, bake one, re-purpose or recycle, acquire it for free?' Yes? Then put that purse away & keep your money because little savings grow!
    Loan pay-down fund instalment 2 = £120
    Payment received from surveys: 2015 = £320 2016 = £210 2017 = £294
    • La escocesa
    • By La escocesa 11th Sep 17, 8:12 PM
    • 2,925 Posts
    • 18,495 Thanks
    La escocesa
    Hi everyone

I've just finished work. I've already expressed my displeasure at my boss saying willy nilly that you have to make up time for hospital appointments. Generally fine if you're just going to a regular docs appt etc and they encourage you to make them at 8am/6pm etc, but with hospital appointments in the middle of the day in the middle of town it's a bit different - had to make up 2.5h. Next time I WFH I'll not feel guilty sitting doing some crochet!

Big hellos to all the new posters - lovely to meet you

Wow, Frugal Saver - what a day!! Nice one about having the new bank card at home.

FVD - I love the trug! And another thing I love is my soup maker It's awesome - so much easier than a pan and a stick blender for someone like me (messy/splashing up the walls)

1LL - I don't have kids but I always see things I would try for school lunches on pinterest

So...nothing much to report tbh...a bubble bath has my name on it!

Take care everyone!

xxx
    • 1LuckyLady
    • By 1LuckyLady 11th Sep 17, 8:33 PM
    • 552 Posts
    • 5,447 Thanks
    1LuckyLady
    You lot are awesome Thank you, Lots of ideas for me to play with
    Sticking with the "Small things" thread to keep up us on the straight and narrow.
    • FatVonD
    • By FatVonD 11th Sep 17, 8:49 PM
    • 4,940 Posts
    • 19,565 Thanks
    FatVonD
    FrugalSaver, I don't know if buses work the same as trains but if I forget my season ticket and need to buy a daily I can claim it back so hang onto those tickets just in case!

Foxgloves, I don't have a stick blender and I'm not sure if one will cost me more than £15 (I think I might be able to get it for £10 now as its been on there for a couple of days.) I'm not sure I want another bit of kitchen kit around cluttering up the worktop though, but I do want celery and Stilton soup

I've just collected a crisp £10 note from a FB sale. I have also just bought a dress on flea bay. I have quite a few strappy dresses because I am always hot (even pre menopause) but I'm a bit too white and flabby to be exposing so much flesh (as my mum kindly pointed out yesterday) so I am looking into getting some more covered up dresses, still sleeveless but not strappy.

I've also bought a coffee table but this means I can now sell the crates I've been using which seem to be very sought after at the moment (I already sold two the other day.)

The roast has been put off for another day as Mr T had some YS sea bass fillets which we will be having later with mash.

Dawn, I was reading up about growing raspberries as I love them but was put off by reading about raspberry beetle and how you might find a little white maggot inside. Does this happen a lot and how little are we talking? It said they are less of a problem with the late cropping ones though, is that what you have?
    Last edited by FatVonD; 11-09-2017 at 8:51 PM.
    Make £5 a day in November £8.09/£150 (October £288.52, September £374.30, August £223.95, July £71.45, June £251.22, May£119.33, April £236.24, March £106.74, Feb £40.99, Jan £98.54)
    • Frugal Saver
    • By Frugal Saver 11th Sep 17, 9:29 PM
    • 237 Posts
    • 597 Thanks
    Frugal Saver
    Thank you for making me feel so welcome, particularly on such a rubbish day.

Thanks for the suggestion FatVonD I will look into that but when I went on the bus companies website it stated the replacement will be for the same period as the original pass and if there's less than 5 days left on it they don't even replace it.

Anyway, need to stop feeling sorry for myself and stay on track. Posting tonight as I won't get a chance tomorrow.

Lunch and dinner sorted for tomorrow but need nappies for LO so that and my parking fees should be my only spend. The advantage of driving means I should be home earlier but I'm still not familiar with the drive so I might get lost!
    LBM September 2012
    Debt at LBM £10,573.00
    Savings at LBM £0
    Current debt £5,800 at 0%
    Current savings £3,800
    • FatVonD
    • By FatVonD 11th Sep 17, 9:49 PM
    • 4,940 Posts
    • 19,565 Thanks
    FatVonD
    Just looked up stick blenders and both Arg0s and Kurrys do them for around a fiver so dilemma sorted, less money and less to store.
    Make £5 a day in November £8.09/£150 (October £288.52, September £374.30, August £223.95, July £71.45, June £251.22, May£119.33, April £236.24, March £106.74, Feb £40.99, Jan £98.54)
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 12th Sep 17, 6:56 AM
    • 6,572 Posts
    • 37,890 Thanks
    determined new ms
    Morning FVD do you have a regular jug blender? That's what I use for soups

Welcome Frugal Saver what a terrible thing to happen! I admire your stoicism though.

Welcome Tea&Kittens what a fortuitous find!

Hi Carrie lovely to see you again

Need to pull my finger out as have to leave for work in 50 mins and still sitting here drinking coffee! in my dressing gown

Smalls for the day:

* working 8.30-2 Hope to be hard working & efficient still loving my new working hours am finding as I'm there less hours on the days I am I'm more focused and as I leave by 2 I don't get the afternoon slump
    * take snacky foods with me to graze on
    * stop on way home and pick up milk & take a carrier to put it in
    * power walk to collect madam & do some hula hooping tonight
    * hang out washing that was a bit damp when I brought it in yesterday
    * feel fabulous wearing my new trousers yep truly!
    * hg raspberries with yogurt mmmmmm I just rinse mine out with cold water and haven't noticed anything FVD argh didn't eat them but left them in works fridge. Probably won't be good by the time I return on Thurs prob will be alright for a smoothie though...
    * list a couple of things on fleabay
    * take madam to the park after school if it's nice. Take snacks and drinks for her
    * more veg processing later!
    * will just do something easy for madam for tea tonight so oh & I can have lo soup
    * make BNS, turnip and apple soup tonight
    * read up on making apple prosecco and see if I've got what's needed

Better get my skates on!

Ok that's all I can think of. Happy Tuesday guys x
    Last edited by determined new ms; 12-09-2017 at 4:24 PM.
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Wombling '16 £287.33 Roadkill £28.25
    Wombling YTD £2982.2/Roadkill £8.63
    SFDs Oct 13/15 CC saved £2372.50
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 12th Sep 17, 7:18 AM
    • 4,602 Posts
    • 35,353 Thanks
    DawnW

Foxgloves, I don't have a stick blender and I'm not sure if one will cost me more than £15 (I think I might be able to get it for £10 now as its been on there for a couple of days.) I'm not sure I want another bit of kitchen kit around cluttering up the worktop though, but I do want celery and Stilton soup

Dawn, I was reading up about growing raspberries as I love them but was put off by reading about raspberry beetle and how you might find a little white maggot inside. Does this happen a lot and how little are we talking? It said they are less of a problem with the late cropping ones though, is that what you have?
    Originally posted by FatVonD
    I would vote for a stick blender too. In fact, if I had to give up all my kitchen gadgets except one, I would probably choose to keep that one.

Raspberries - I do sometimes find bugs of various kinds on the raspberries, but not little white maggots. The yellow ones seem to be more affected than the red ones. The yellow ones also don't taste as nice, and I will be digging some of those out I think, particularly as all of them have gone mad and are filling up the space available. I think blueberries are easier tbh, and if you pick a compact variety they are quite happy in a big pot

Got to take the dog out in a minute, as he has a grooming appointent at 9.30. He looks like one of my granny's old mop heads at the moment Very smart now

Apart from that, plans are to:
    Make a chicken and ham pie with meat from the fridge Done, yum! Made extra pastry so that I could also make a quiche shell and a dozen mince pies to ensure oven used to capacity
    Start a shopping list - I won't need much, but have run out of a couple of bits. May go today. Went to Lidls while I was waiting for the dog groomer to finish. Spent just over £15, so must update signature and spending diary
    Look for surveys Found a few, will check back shortly
    List a couple more bits on ebay Not done
    Put shop stock away, the things I brought back yesterday have colonised the dining table atm Done, all clear now
    Do some cleaning Cleaned hall, lounge, kitchen and conservatory floors, changed bed, washed linen and (mostly) dried on the line, will hang on airer in a minute

There will no doubt be more, will pop back later to update
    Last edited by DawnW; 12-09-2017 at 7:04 PM.
    NSDs for November 9/12

• arc2014
    • By arc2014 12th Sep 17, 8:19 AM
    • 135 Posts
    • 538 Thanks
    arc2014
    Another lurker here to introduce myself!!

Hopefully by writing everything down I'm going to hold myself as accountable as possible for my actions & get where I want to be!

So the plan of action for today is:

* Stick to the shopping list - dependent on ys offers, maybe pick something up from the rest of the weeks shopping list.

* Take car for its MOT - booked the cheapest slot AND got 10% off, that took it from £40+ to just under £25!

* Hope car passes it's MOT!

* Surveys - Already done 1.

* Pack up hubby for work tomorrow with leftovers from tea tonight.

* STAY AWAY FROM THE VENDING MACHINE! For the sake of both my purse & my weight!

* Get my daily fill of tea whilst I'm at work & it's free!

* PAD - Done!
    Originally posted by arc2014

Well that didn't quite go to plan! I stuck to the shopping list, gave hubby left overs for lunch today, stayed away from the vending machine & did some surveys, but my goodness did my car fail it's MOT!!! Really it only failed on the breaks, I think they just need stripping down & cleaning since it hasn't done more than 1000 miles in the last 9 months. Fingers crossed that will be a cheap £25 fix for it to pass!

Other than that it needs a new exhaust system, new oil filter & sump, sock absorbers need a bit of work & my radiator is leaking! The garage quoted me £170 just to fix the oil leak!! Luckily between me & hubby we're know what we're doing so reckon we can fix the wholelot for around the £50 mark - that would be a lot nicer. Glad I've come back to work this month! Now to get on with those surveys and have an NSD, this car won't pay for itself!
    Logbook Loan 670.42/1000 · DC1 60/1420.32 · DC2 30/321.13 · DC3 11.75/11.75 · DC4 60/635 · Personal Loan 426.74/4800 · Overdraft 0/1200

SPC #200

Lightbulb Moment September 2017 - DFD Christmas 2018!
    • FatVonD
    • By FatVonD 12th Sep 17, 10:34 AM
    • 4,940 Posts
    • 19,565 Thanks
    FatVonD
    Morning all, I'm awake at a slightly more reasonable time today as I have someone coming to pick up a FB sale, it's only £1 but it's £1 out of their pocket and into mine.

Arc, ouch re the car, hope you can get it sorted.

DNMS, I did have a beautiful KltchenAid blender (courtesy of an old job) but, like my KA toaster, it carked it. It'll be cheapies all the way from now on, I love my Mr T value hand mixer!

Dawn, I don't like blueberries but I will give some late raspberries a try next year, I've looked at some pics and it looks like it's fairly obvious which are the affected ones so I'll know which ones to avoid!

Today will be spent doing a bit more designing and trying to track down the specific flower/Pom Pom I want direct from China, the eBay seller isn't being very accommodating about reducing the price for a bulk sale but, as yet, I've found every type except that one, I will change type if I need to but I do prefer the other one.

I need to pick up my new coffee table and contact the woman keen to buy my crates.

Dinner tonight is going to be fajitas, I got some YS Tex Mex dips yesterday and also some YS turkey strips. I have a pack of seasoning I got free from work and a part pack of wraps in the freezer, sorted!

I need to buy some bread and then lunch is going to be fried YS tomatoes and mushrooms on toast, yummy. My own tomatoes are coming to the end, I'll leave them for another week for the last few to ripen before pulling them out.

Have a good day all
    • ziggy2407
    • By ziggy2407 12th Sep 17, 11:42 AM
    • 2,934 Posts
    • 21,911 Thanks
    ziggy2407
    Good Morning All

Today we will:

Check Bank & made PAD - Done
    Ebay parcel to PO - Done
    Wash towels and line dry - Done
    Wash trainers on quick wash - Done
    Upload receipts to COS - Done
    Filing & shredding -
    Ironing - Done
    Email complaint - Done, had to post and return items
    Purge a few emails - Done a few
    Enter a few comps - Done a few
    Surveys -
    All meals from cupboards/fridge/freezer - Done
    Checked: Luckyphone, Ashleigh, FPL - Done
    Read - Done, a few mags to be passed on

Have a great day all.

C x
    Last edited by ziggy2407; 12-09-2017 at 10:38 PM.
    It is better to take many small steps in the right direction than to make a great leap forward only to stumble backward. (Old Chinese Proverb)

Make £5 per day in Aug 2017: £358.12/£155 . Make £5 per day in Sept 2017: £406.12/£150
    Make £5 per day in October 2017: £12.65/£155
    • 1LuckyLady
    • By 1LuckyLady 12th Sep 17, 11:45 AM
    • 552 Posts
    • 5,447 Thanks
    1LuckyLady
    Morning all,
    Todays plan of action is...

* Keep heating off, plenty of fleeces/blankets around
    * Kids still eating cereal from the back of the cupboard before I buy more, one box finished this morning and one more will be emptied tomorrow. Done
    * Gym class done and refilled water bottle. I definitely get value for money for this as its only £16 a month and I go at least 5 days a week Done
    * Rm survey Done
    * Ds2 was meant to be having a friend over for tea but the friend is poorly so the planned meal of nuggets/waffles can stay in the freezer for next time he comes (a really picky eater) and I'll do my two fajitas as I have ys wraps in the freezer, a bit of sunday lunch chicken left to use up, frozen peppers/onion and in my use up box there is a fajitas spice mix & salsa pack that my sister sent over as she'd bought the wrong thing Done and kids thought it was a huge treat as its the kind of meal usually reserved for weekend
    * Stock out of the freezer to make a BNS & tomato soup in the sc Done and in the sc
    * Update freezer list Done
    * Plan tomorrows meals Done, sweet potato chips & chicken kievs with peas & corn
    * Call to the shop to buy crisps, the ones I want are on offer til the end of the day, will buy 2 x 6 packs for a £1/each and will bribe ds1 with these to go into lunch bag on days with no gym Done, this will save me £2.50/day for the rest of this week as I have sandwich stuff in and have made cakes (
    * Make a small batch of fairy cakes for ^^ as above, as I have ingredients for that and will make a shopping list to include choc chips, golden syrup etc for making cookies/muffins/flapjack next week. Done Kids had one after tea and it got a thumbs up, ds's looking forward to there packed lunches tomorrow now!
    * Hoover round just where needs doing Done
    * Shower and continue use up of lotions and potions - let hair dry naturally
    * Need to book hairdresser appointment for me, keep putting this off as my old one closed down so I have to try somewhere new Done, already making me feel anxious
    * Check banking/update spreadsheets Done
    * See if washing on airers has dried over night and put away Checked but not dry

Enough to be starting with, have a good day all.
    Last edited by 1LuckyLady; 12-09-2017 at 5:45 PM.
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 12th Sep 17, 1:34 PM
    • 1,915 Posts
    • 12,872 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Afternoon all didn't have time to post this morning, but have been busy WFH so getting some other wins whilst I'm at it

Pop to SM, used MOC (and calculator on the way round so I only just spent the right amount) Also good for things you buy regularly to refocus your mind as to how much they are
    2 loads of washing done and it was drying outside until 5 minutes ago when we had a shower, will go back out in a minute then in later when it goes cold on airer
    Dug out my slippers instead of flip flops
    Meal from planner
    Make a cake if I can find my bag of walnuts
    Maybe a run later if I can fit it in
    Some labelling for my sale on Sunday
    Past its best goats cheese on a cracker for lunch and OOD beetroot
    Another frozen banana from freezer in breakfast smoothie with blackberries I picked and froze
    Must do something with stewed fruit in fridge
    Check banking, surveys and FPL. Generate my next payslip for Friday to see how much the new share save I've set up will change net pay - updated sheet.
    Worked out debt repayment and savings to income ratio Will be happier when it's all going to savings

Right think that's about it.
    • carrielovesfanta
    • By carrielovesfanta 12th Sep 17, 5:07 PM
    • 1,272 Posts
    • 9,347 Thanks
    carrielovesfanta
    Afternoon folks!

Frugal - sorry to hear you had a mare of a day. Hopefully today will be better.

Summary of yesterday:
    • Meals from plan (will be ok as OH out at work so dinner will be ready when he gets in) - done
    • Reconcile budget sheet (better late than never) - no
    • Charge phone in work - done
    • Poss stretching if time - no
    • Poss crochet if time - done
    • Make bed (unless OH has been incredibly excited and has done it unprompted ) - done (by me!)
    • Message my mum re Christmas/birthday money - do I have any left? I'm potentially going to be treating myself to something expensive, but I think it will do me good. - yep. Earmarked £110 out of £600
    Originally posted by carrielovesfanta
    So I have decided to go ahead with my expensive purchase. It's 3 months of tailored 1-2-1 programming with my coach at the gym. At £200pdm . Def not mse but I think it will be good for my MH. You may remember that I was really enjoying the gym, but my poor health has knocked my confidence somewhat and I think this will help.

However, I am finding the money rather than adding it onto the budget.
    £70 (x3) normal gym fee
    £30 (x 3) of my pocket money
    £60 2 x physio app cancelled (non essential)
    £100 Christmas money
    Which leaves me with £53 a month to find. 4 hours of overtime will cover this so I will break even

Today's list:
    • Meals from meal plan
    • Reconcile that blimmin budget sheet!! (have been waiting for OH)
    • Charge phone in work
    • Gym at lunchtime (5k run in 30.51 Will aim for 30.30 next time)
    • Crochet if time
    • Prep stuff for tomorrow's lunch/dinner
    • See about rearranging my food delivery as they are late and no one will be in the office - website has helpfully told me that they will get back to me tomorrow...
    Have a good evening folks

clf x
    Last edited by carrielovesfanta; 12-09-2017 at 5:13 PM.
    LBM 11/06/2010: DFD 30/04/2013
    Total repaid: £10,490.31

SAVINGS: £9433.44
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 12th Sep 17, 5:18 PM
    • 3,704 Posts
    • 18,256 Thanks
    foxgloves
    Hello Tuesday Frugalistas,
    A useful day today. Quite a lot of what I've achieved was money saving one way or another & I am still feeling bloomin' massively motivated. Here goes with my list:
    *Parked on outskirts of town for free & walked in. Good for fitness too, as I have already achieved over 10,000 steps today.
    *Stuck to my list for town. I got tickets for a film night next month, bought 2 x 99p birthday cards in local indie card shop, 2 big boxes of chocs from Thornton's (2 for £10) - I went in to buy one for a birthday present but got the offer so as to put one away in the Presents Box. Called in Waitrose to see if they had re-stocked their Taylor's of Harrogate Coffee as it's on offer at the moment & the shelves were bare at the weekend. Yay! It was back. Bought 3 packs, as £1.74 for that particular brand is a damn good saving. Had a free cuppa while I was there, courtesy of loyalty card......no cake though, I ate my emergency raisins instead! All this morning spends were made using cash from the correct budgets. #feeling angelic!
    *Did not buy curtain fabric. Popped in my usual shop but prices seemed to be a lot higher than when I last used them. £11 a metre & I need about 4 or 5 metres. Am cogitating on this for a while as I think there are a couple more ways I could tackle this project. The 'Old Me' would have just bought the fabric without further thought.
    *Did a couple of surveys over lunchtime.
    *Chopped down greenhouse tomato plants. Brought remaining tomatoes into the conservatory on a tray to ripen.
    *Picked more chillies, more peppers, the last of the french beans, last couple of bunches of grapes & some fresh herbs.
    *Assessed how much home-grown food is still to come - courgettes, 2 large squash, more chillies & peppers, basil, heaps of pears & the sweetcorn cobs will be ready very soon. Will incorporate this knowledge into meal plans.
    *Made chicken stew (in my big turquoise pan which DNMS likes!) using last of Sunday's rubber chicken & l/o gravy, the stock I made yesterday & a round-up of veg which needed using.
    *Made tomorrow's packed lunch.
    *Put a kilo of ripe tomatoes where I am absolutely sure to see them tomorrow to remind me to make another big batch of tomato soup.
    *Cast on next sock......I shan't get many pairs knitted in time for this stall, but I usually get a reasonable price for them & the yarn will all be from my stash, & some of it gifted so no cost to me except my time.
    *Packed all the BBQ pear sauce I made yesterday away into the pantry. I love squirrelling stuff away in there at this time of year. I want to put together a couple of fairly modest Christmas hampers so all this preserving activity will help with that.
    I've done other stuff too, but that's the money saving hilights. Just waiting for mr f to get home....have had text to say his bus is stuck in traffic & he's starving! Hmmm.....can't see much of the huge stew I've made actually making it into the freezer then!
    Bye,
    F x
    Money can't jump out of your purse on its own so ask 'Can I borrow one, make one, grow one, bake one, re-purpose or recycle, acquire it for free?' Yes? Then put that purse away & keep your money because little savings grow!
    Loan pay-down fund instalment 2 = £120
    Payment received from surveys: 2015 = £320 2016 = £210 2017 = £294
    • 1LuckyLady
    • By 1LuckyLady 12th Sep 17, 5:48 PM
    • 552 Posts
    • 5,447 Thanks
    1LuckyLady

* Keep heating off, plenty of fleeces/blankets around Done
    * Kids still eating cereal from the back of the cupboard before I buy more, one box finished this morning and one more will be emptied tomorrow. Done
    * Gym class done and refilled water bottle. I definitely get value for money for this as its only £16 a month and I go at least 5 days a week Done
    * Rm survey Done
    * Ds2 was meant to be having a friend over for tea but the friend is poorly so the planned meal of nuggets/waffles can stay in the freezer for next time he comes (a really picky eater) and I'll do my two fajitas as I have ys wraps in the freezer, a bit of sunday lunch chicken left to use up, frozen peppers/onion and in my use up box there is a fajitas spice mix & salsa pack that my sister sent over as she'd bought the wrong thing Done and kids thought it was a huge treat as its the kind of meal usually reserved for weekend
    * Stock out of the freezer to make a BNS & tomato soup in the sc Done and in the sc
    * Update freezer list Done
    * Plan tomorrows meals Done, sweet potato chips & chicken kievs with peas & corn
    * Call to the shop to buy crisps, the ones I want are on offer til the end of the day, will buy 2 x 6 packs for a £1/each and will bribe ds1 with these to go into lunch bag on days with no gym Done, this will save me £2.50/day for the rest of this week as I have sandwich stuff in and have made cakes (
    * Make a small batch of fairy cakes for ^^ as above, as I have ingredients for that and will make a shopping list to include choc chips, golden syrup etc for making cookies/muffins/flapjack next week. Done Kids had one after tea and it got a thumbs up, ds's looking forward to there packed lunches tomorrow now!
    * Hoover round just where needs doing Done
    * Shower and continue use up of lotions and potions - let hair dry naturally Done - shared bath water instead
    * Need to book hairdresser appointment for me, keep putting this off as my old one closed down so I have to try somewhere new Done, already making me feel anxious
    * Check banking/update spreadsheets Done
    * See if washing on airers has dried over night and put away Checked but not dry

I'm pleased with my list, also had a half hour catch up with a friend over a cup of tea at hers, saving at least £2.50 had we gone to the usual little caf!.
    Still to do

** Make dh & ds's sandwiches for tomorrow Done
    ** Prep salad for me & dh tonight with ys salmon and jacket potato Done
    ** Clean down the kitchen using stardrops Done
    ** Blitz soup Done and its very very nice even if I do say so myself!! The only thing is its splashed all up the walls, I'm not very good with the stick blender!
    ** Relax with my feet up Done

Last edited by 1LuckyLady; 12-09-2017 at 8:49 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

409Posts Today

5,194Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I believe I can boldly go where no twitter poll has gone before https://t.co/HA0jC92gAK

• OK I'm wilting to public pressure and there will be a star trek captain's poll at some point next week

• I can get that. My order is 1. Picard 2. Janeway 3. Kirk. Too early to say where Lorca will end up (or would you? https://t.co/kawtCOe9RA

• Follow Martin