Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 11th Sep 17, 6:59 AM
    • 1,845Posts
    • 12,386Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    What small DFW things will you do this week - w/c 11th September?
    • 11th Sep 17, 6:59 AM
    What small DFW things will you do this week - w/c 11th September? 11th Sep 17 at 6:59 AM
    What small DFW things will you do this week - w/c 4 September
    When we start out on the DFW trail we do loads of "big stuff" that makes quite a difference to our situation. These include having our lightbulb moment, cutting up the credit cards and cancelling Sky and the gym.

But once we have done the bigger stuff, we often feel that we are not making the same amount of progress, when in fact the small steps are helping us form good financial habits and helping us get closer everyday to staying in control and becoming debt free, or staying debt free.

Examples could be hanging washing out instead of using the tumble dryer or leaving your purse/wallet at home to avoid the risk of spending.

So be proud of those small steps, they really are important
Page 1
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 11th Sep 17, 7:08 AM
    • 1,845 Posts
    • 12,386 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    • 11th Sep 17, 7:08 AM
    • 11th Sep 17, 7:08 AM
    Morning all

Sorry for being awol end of last week, but busy including Saturday been treated to go somewhere for the day I'd wanted to for ages. Travel, entertainment and food treated to and special company, all worth it for the very long day. I on,y spent £5.50 on two drinks which considering the above was well worth it

Ally great news on your flat
    Foxgloves glad you had a good break, hope you were able to relax some and the rain didn't get you too much. Thinking of you, with your dad.
    DNMS I know - when they start school the children seem different ages some how, mine will be 5 in a few months but a few months at this age can make all the difference. Hope your DGD is getting on ok. Did your parcel arrive, I think I posted it on Tuesday?
    LL well done on that loss I need some of your motivation, mine appears to have up and left
    CLF nice to see you back
    FVD good news on the job. Get good freebies/ bargains there too if it's like my DH store
    Anyway, on to MSE things today:
    Check banking, surveys and FPL
    Make biscuits before work
    HM soup to work
    Something (easy) out of freezer for tea
    Quick hair wash, will dry naturally
    Not going to out any washing on as weather looks grim, will do tomorrow when it looks much brighter
    Cheapie porridge for breakfast as we don't have much milk so can use water
    Quick flylady of kitchen this morning
    Get some stuff down from loft so I can do some labelling tonight as I have a sale on Sunday that I'd forgotten about but the cash would come in handy

Think that's ambitious enough for a Monday. Hope everyone is ok. Purps.
    • Happy Kitties
    • By Happy Kitties 11th Sep 17, 7:41 AM
    • 283 Posts
    • 2,437 Thanks
    Happy Kitties
    • 11th Sep 17, 7:41 AM
    • 11th Sep 17, 7:41 AM
    Morning everyone

Many thanks Purps for starting us off. Sounds like you had a fab Saturday-days like that are priceless
    Ally great to hear about the flat
    LL I need to lose a stone but no more before my op-any motivation send over my way please as I'm not doing very well

Hospital appointment this morning and the weather is awful.
    Have to pick a mattress topper up from Arg@s for DD, who is nearly ready now for uni. Took my time looking around for the best price for a good quality one as I want it last for DD to be able to use it for another 2 years at least and hopefully me to put it on the spare bed after-might be being a bit ambitious here. Only spends planned for today.
    Banking all checked, everything good and planned d.debits all good.
    Have had DD boyfriend over this weekend, went out for a meal yesterday but wasn't allowed to pay for anything, I think it was a final treat from DD and as an afterthought it was mentioned that they did use my petrol instead of cramming into her little car as food place 3/4 hour away.
    Meeting tonight, must find some mojo from somewhere.
    Just found out that I have relatives stuck out in Florida after they went out on holiday. I thought they were back home
    Praying that everyone stays safe out there, an awful thing to happen to so many people.
    Have a great day everyone x
    2017 birthday savings so far thru shopping frugally = 228.72 284.31 306.81 481.15:money.
    April grocery challenge £171.21/ £200 May GC £248.47/£190 June GC £87.69/ £190
    • La escocesa
    • By La escocesa 11th Sep 17, 7:52 AM
    • 2,891 Posts
    • 18,243 Thanks
    La escocesa
    • 11th Sep 17, 7:52 AM
    • 11th Sep 17, 7:52 AM
    Morning everyone

Thanks for the kick off Purps!

Awesome news Ally!!
    Nice to hear from you CLF.

HK - I've got a hospital appointment later and the weather is awful here too. Snap! Hope your family in Florida is safe. xx

I'm WFH today - 6.5h from 8-3 with half hour for lunch. Got a few little bits to do in between times but will be just as much as office chit chat so I shan't feel guilty, right?!
    • Yesterday I took stuff back from our kitchen installation - v grateful for i kea's 365d refund policy
    • OH changed the lightbulbs in the car
    • All meals from stores today - SC chicken so there should be lots of leftovers for lunches
    • Checked banking/YNAB - we've paid £897 to debts this month
    • Got home insurance sorted - unfortunately under-calculated with OH working and the house being unoccupied during the day now. Home maintenance piggy to the rescue! #gottaloveabudget

I'm sure I've got more to add but still not finished my first coffee so it's difficult

Catch up soon!
    • Frugal Saver
    • By Frugal Saver 11th Sep 17, 7:56 AM
    • 222 Posts
    • 560 Thanks
    Frugal Saver
    • 11th Sep 17, 7:56 AM
    Good morning all. Long time lurker here, find it really motivational reading your posts every week. Hoping that by posting myself I will be even more motivated.

Today's list:
    * No buying lunch at work, I've brought snacks and yogurts with me and have crackers and cheese spread at work
    * Use time on bus to and from work wisely (40 mins each way) - complete any surveys and make a shopping list for this afternoon
    * Stick to shopping list - on the one hand not too difficult as I will be walking but I always seem to time it when they do y/s so I'll allow a bit for that
    * Get organised for tomorrow - usually OH takes me and LO to work/nursery on Tues & Wed but he's away with work for a few nights. I could take the car but parking is £4.00 a day and the bus pass works out cheaper so just need to be organised.
    LBM September 2012
    Debt at LBM £10,573.00
    Current debt £6,000
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 11th Sep 17, 7:56 AM
    • 6,444 Posts
    • 36,778 Thanks
    determined new ms
    Morning thanks for the kick off Purps opps yes I did - thanks for the reminder! I got it on Wednesday and I meant to message you but you know what it's like with a young one, every time I remember I'm involved in something and when I'm free it has disappeared from my mind! You're very kind and it is perfect for between washes

HK - argh it's all scarily close isn't it??? Good luck x

Feeling incredibly sorry for myself as today I finally go to the dentist to have root canal the horror of paying for torture somehow I didn't get charged for my treatment the other week

Not sure what I'll be up to after it as depends on how I feel. Hope to get to the allotment for an hour at least but we'll see - feeling good! No niggling (or not so niggling at times ) tooth ache

Need to call up about a large refund that I haven't been contacted about.... done and managed to get charge for item reduced from £50 to £25

Divvy up chicken from yesterday. Think I'll get a soup and a risotto out of the los soup cooking. will chop up and freeze the rest for risotto another day

load of washing on line and another in machine

read book, listen to audio book/watch film when I get home

Ok for now that will do. I have loads of things I want to do but it'll all depend on how retched I feel

lunchtime and I'm feeling ok so just waiting for washing to finish & peg out then off to the allotment great time at the lottie was there 2 hours, did weeding & digging for about an hour, came home with a bag full of veg :

tidied round the whole house, put loads of stuff away, polished throughout Just need to vacuum at some point....

Get clothes, lunches & bags ready for tomorrow

Have gathered a load of things to photo when I get back
    Last edited by determined new ms; 11-09-2017 at 4:54 PM.
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Wombling '16 £2874.33 Roadkill £28.25
    Wombling YTD £2919.06/Roadkill £8.58
    SFDs Sept 7/18 CC saved £2372.50 Veg grown £376.20
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 11th Sep 17, 8:00 AM
    • 3,639 Posts
    • 17,734 Thanks
    foxgloves
    • 11th Sep 17, 8:00 AM
    • 11th Sep 17, 8:00 AM
    Morning Monday People,
    I've just looked at my Monday job list, which I wrote yesterday after mr f & I sat for an hour doing diaries & lots of planning. Oh my days, it's a challenging list. Just primed myself with a large coffee & bowl of nourishing overnight oats with my pear & blackberry compote. Think I am going to get started RIGHT NOW & will check back later with what I achieve. I am sooooo up for money saving at the moment.
    Wishing everyone a cracking start to the week.
    F x
    Money can't jump out of your purse on its own so ask 'Can I borrow one, make one, grow one, bake one, re-purpose or recycle, acquire it for free?' Yes? Then put that purse away & keep your money because little savings grow!
    Loan pay-down fund instalment 2 = £120
    Payment received from surveys: 2015 = £320 2016 = £210 2017 = £246
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 11th Sep 17, 8:08 AM
    • 3,639 Posts
    • 17,734 Thanks
    foxgloves
    • 11th Sep 17, 8:08 AM
    • 11th Sep 17, 8:08 AM
    DNMS - hope the dentist treatment goes ok. I am a nervous patient where dentistry is concerned. When I had root canal work a few years ago, it honestly wasn't as bad as I feared. My dentist knows I am a scared patient & that I only go regularly because mf f takes me to my appts so I don't bottle it! When I had root canal, my dentist said I probably wouldn't feel much as the nerve in that tooth had died, but that if I did, just to tell him & he would top up the anaesthetic. Be gentle with yourself afterwards. Try to have a relaxing evening just to let the tensions go.
    And here I am chatting about teeth & not starting my massive job list - must put a shift on & get cracking x
    Money can't jump out of your purse on its own so ask 'Can I borrow one, make one, grow one, bake one, re-purpose or recycle, acquire it for free?' Yes? Then put that purse away & keep your money because little savings grow!
    • La escocesa
    • By La escocesa 11th Sep 17, 8:50 AM
    • 2,891 Posts
    • 18,243 Thanks
    La escocesa
    • 11th Sep 17, 8:50 AM
    • 11th Sep 17, 8:50 AM
    Hope it goes ok DNMS - I'll be thinking about you!
    Nice to see you posting Frugal Saver. I wish all the lurkers would post to introduce themselves.

I've got into my little WFH routine:
    - made a tea; put one in a flask
    - jumper on; heating off
    - DW on eco cycle
    - WM on - will probs need to go in TD later though!
    - smoothie for brekkie - HG kale
    • allydowd
    • By allydowd 11th Sep 17, 9:06 AM
    • 3,834 Posts
    • 23,964 Thanks
    allydowd
    * Freecycling

* Gumtree-ing

* Facebook-selling

* Packing
    Debt-free day: 8th May 2015
    The Joy Account: £1700
    Survey Rewards 2017: £100
    Swim for Sanity: 4000m
    "Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck," Dalai Llama
    • ziggy2407
    • By ziggy2407 11th Sep 17, 9:25 AM
    • 2,914 Posts
    • 21,698 Thanks
    ziggy2407
    Good Morning All

Purps - Thanks for starting us off today

Hi to all of the regulars and a BIG welcome to all the newbies, this is a really FAB thread with so many lovely, caring, considerate and supportive people.

Today we will:

Check Bank & made PAD - Done
    Prep RM Surveys -
    Ironing -
    Email complaint -
    Tidy under sink -
    Purge a few emails -
    Enter a few comps -
    Surveys -
    All meals from cupboards/fridge/freezer -
    Checked: Luckyphone, Ashleigh, FPL -
    Asda delivery this evening -
    Read -

Have a great day all.

C x
    It is better to take many small steps in the right direction than to make a great leap forward only to stumble backward. (Old Chinese Proverb)

Make £5 per day in August 2017: £358.12/£155

Make £5 per day in September 2017: £365.53/£150
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 11th Sep 17, 9:53 AM
    • 6,444 Posts
    • 36,778 Thanks
    determined new ms
    DNMS - hope the dentist treatment goes ok. I am a nervous patient where dentistry is concerned. When I had root canal work a few years ago, it honestly wasn't as bad as I feared. My dentist knows I am a scared patient & that I only go regularly because mf f takes me to my appts so I don't bottle it! When I had root canal, my dentist said I probably wouldn't feel much as the nerve in that tooth had died, but that if I did, just to tell him & he would top up the anaesthetic. Be gentle with yourself afterwards. Try to have a relaxing evening just to let the tensions go.
    And here I am chatting about teeth & not starting my massive job list - must put a shift on & get cracking x
    Originally posted by foxgloves
    Thanks Mrs F I'm back now. The root canal can was kicked down the road and I had a temp filling because need to establish if it's just one top tooth or if there is another bottom tooth that needs work as well. Booked in for check up next week and will book treatment for the week after if all good.

My dentist is amazing, and in a few short years she's got me from having to be put under to have dental treatment to now I can go. She puts numbing gel on before any injections, has such a soothing way and we have a system if I want her to stop to put my hand up and she will. I use a meditation as well while in the chair - visualising laying on a beach while repeating in my mind "I'm safe"

I had root canal on another tooth about 6 months ago, so know logically it's not that bad, but it's the fear and anxiety that leads up to it is shocking and the after effects of that leave me feeling wiped out If I'm honest I think the phobia is about pain rather than dentistry. It's just with dental issues comes pain!

Back now so going to sit on the sofa and read a book and wait to return to a 40 something woman rather than the 40 something child I am at the moment!
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Wombling '16 £2874.33 Roadkill £28.25
    Wombling YTD £2919.06/Roadkill £8.58
    SFDs Sept 7/18 CC saved £2372.50 Veg grown £376.20
    • arc2014
    • By arc2014 11th Sep 17, 11:29 AM
    • 45 Posts
    • 148 Thanks
    arc2014
    Another lurker here to introduce myself!!

Hopefully by writing everything down I'm going to hold myself as accountable as possible for my actions & get where I want to be!

So the plan of action for today is:

* Stick to the shopping list - dependent on ys offers, maybe pick something up from the rest of the weeks shopping list.

* Take car for its MOT - booked the cheapest slot AND got 10% off, that took it from £40+ to just under £25!

* Hope car passes it's MOT!

* Surveys - Already done 1.

* Pack up hubby for work tomorrow with leftovers from tea tonight.

* STAY AWAY FROM THE VENDING MACHINE! For the sake of both my purse & my weight!

* Get my daily fill of tea whilst I'm at work & it's free!

* PAD - Done!
    Logbook Loan 4.95/1000 · DC1 15/1420.32 · DC2 20/321.13 · DC3 11.75/11.75 · DC4 40/635 · Personal Loan 213.37/4800

Lightbulb Moment September 2017 - DFD xmas 2018!

September NSDs 11/15
    • 1LuckyLady
    • By 1LuckyLady 11th Sep 17, 12:01 PM
    • 485 Posts
    • 4,898 Thanks
    1LuckyLady
    Good morning all and thanks PF for the starter

Welcome to the thread Arc & Frugal Saver - we're a lovely lot so hope yoiu stick with us

Todays list
    * Kids breakfasting again on cereal from the back of the cupboard, I will not buy more until the cupboard is empty.
    * Gym session done and refilled water bottle whilst there
    * Home for brunch of ys mushroom & cheese omellete
    * Washed 2 loads on the quick wash
    * Hang washing on airers as its raining hard today
    * Run dishwasher on quick wash cycle and half a tablet
    * Shower & continue using up opened lotions and potions - will let hair dry naturally too
    * Iron dh's work shirts
    * Tonights meal is SUnday lunch left overs so not much effort needed although I need to remember to get the Yorkshire puds out of the freezer to have with it as I forgot them yesterday and I'm trying to use up bits out of the freezer
    * PLan tomorrows meals
    * Freezer inventory needs updating, I didn't get this done over the weekend.
    * Hoover everywhere that "needs" doing
    * Check banking/update spreadsheets

Thats enough of a start, be back later to update
    ** Added school dates/our planned holidays onto my new 2018 calendar
    ** Preped next weeks rm surveys
    ** Made a crumble topping to make the stewed fruit more appealing to the boys! (the rhubarb mixed with the other berries/apple i'd put in doesn't look great!) covering with crumble & custard will do the trick!
    ** Walked to the bus stop for the kids instead of going in the car.

Last edited by 1LuckyLady; 11-09-2017 at 6:01 PM.
    Sticking with the "Small things" thread to keep up us on the straight and narrow.
    • Tea&Kittens
    • By Tea&Kittens 11th Sep 17, 12:16 PM
    • 66 Posts
    • 171 Thanks
    Tea&Kittens
    Hi all

I just found this amazing online community in the later end of this week, so this is my first full week!

- Yesterday I made a massive pot of chilli. We ate some yesterday, and it should be good for another meal for both of us, and a work lunch for me.
    - I've taken all change out of my purse so I'm not tempted by snacks/vending machines at work.
    All change in my house gets sorted by coin type into pots for that coin value. (At some point (when pots are full probably) I'll cash them all in.
    -Let hair air dry
    -Making sure kitty uses up existing stores of breakfast (she had asked for new things yesterday)
    -Finish budget/planning spreadsheet
    -Source a draught excluder for front door for heat conservation
    I started my debtfree journey on 07 September 2017:
    Barclaycard: 14382
    HSBC Credit Card : 2932
    MBNA : 2400
    Overdraft: 350
    A journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step. I'm on my way!
    • carrielovesfanta
    • By carrielovesfanta 11th Sep 17, 1:43 PM
    • 1,190 Posts
    • 8,562 Thanks
    carrielovesfanta
    Hello to arc2014 and Tea&kittens

Morning guys...

Last night is a prime example of why I'm too ashamed to show my face on here.

Plan: go home, prep dinner and tomorrow's lunch. Little treat at cafe. Home. Reconcile budget sheet. Tidy, be useful.

Reality: walk to cafe from work (5 miles though!). Drink one more glass of wine than expected. Succumb to OH's pleas for a takeaway. Feel bloated, hot and thirsty all night. Wake up early and be faced with washing up and having to cook a pizza from scratch at 6am. Cry in front of my coach at the gym.

Ok... moving on.
    • Meals from plan (will be ok as OH out at work so dinner will be ready when he gets in)
    • Reconcile budget sheet (better late than never)
    • Charge phone in work - done
    • Poss stretching if time
    • Poss crochet if time
    • Make bed (unless OH has been incredibly excited and has done it unprompted )
    • Message my mum re Christmas/birthday money - do I have any left? I'm potentially going to be treating myself to something expensive, but I think it will do me good. - yep. Earmarked £110 out of £600
    Ok, I think that's enough for today. Need some headspace to think about this expensive purchase...

Have a good one all

clf x
    Last edited by carrielovesfanta; 11-09-2017 at 5:04 PM.
    LBM 11/06/2010: DFD 30/04/2013
    Total repaid: £10,490.31

SAVINGS: £9433.44
    • Lottebear
    • By Lottebear 11th Sep 17, 3:15 PM
    • 740 Posts
    • 3,247 Thanks
    Lottebear
    Hello All,

This is my last week of unemployment as I am due to start my new job on Monday. I have a list of bits to do.

- Popped into town today, parked in the supermarket as I had a few bits to buy so it was free.
    - Used up Next gift cards which were given last Christmas for DD on some new bits, put them away for when we go away next week.
    - Washed the inside windows today and done some more pressure washing on the drive, one more section to go.
    - Cashed in a purchased some survey money and bought a Christmas gift, almost all done!
    - Looked at new glasses, cheaper in store so I see when I can afford them.
    - Dinner is left over roast from yesterday.
    • FatVonD
    • By FatVonD 11th Sep 17, 3:23 PM
    • 4,814 Posts
    • 18,759 Thanks
    FatVonD
    Three new posters, they're like buses!

Purps, I wondered if there would be end of day perks, it's going to be a mixture of heaven and hell smelling all the lovely deli stuff all day!

La E, well look at you with your home grown kale from your new trug I am very envious of your trug, I could trade some of my Mr T vouchers for money off of one a T&M but don't have the room!

After my late wake up yesterday I was awake until 5am this morning, mind racing. I have cancelled this weeks work and am going to spend another week getting my head down on the new venture. I came up with a fantastic one last night (if I say so myself ) and that is where my heart is at the moment. I will still go back to the other place next week, better the devil you know...

Breakfast was toast made from the crusts of the bread and I had already bought a YS sandwich for lunch. Tonight I WILL cook a roast (as long as DS is in for dinner.)

I have a FB buyer coming to collect something this evening and another tomorrow morning. I have my eye on a soup maker on FB but I only want it to turn my glut of celery (it is the greenest, healthiest looking thing in my garden, it would seem that slugs aren't interested in it!) into celery and Stilton soup and its £15. I'm not even sure that it will be able to cope with celery, I've never cooked celery, does it become any less tough?)

Okay, on with card design, have a good day all
    Lunches brought to work in September 6/20 Money saved to date £13.07 (compared to spending three pounds on a meal deal.)

Make £10 a day in September £355.84/300 (August£223.95, July £71.45, June £251.22, May£119.33, April £236.24, March £106.74, Feb £40.99, Jan £98.54)
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 11th Sep 17, 5:33 PM
    • 3,639 Posts
    • 17,734 Thanks
    foxgloves
    Hi FVD,
    Yes, celery does soften when cooked. I have a soup maker - it's called a wooden spoon & a pan! Oooh, listen to leery old me! Seriously, why not just make it in a pan & zizz it up with a stick blender......unless you don't have one? Or shove it in a liquidiser type jobber. Then that cheeky little £15 can be spent on something else.....or saved for a treatypoo.
    Just sayin',
    F x
    • Frugal Saver
    • By Frugal Saver 11th Sep 17, 6:11 PM
    • 222 Posts
    • 560 Thanks
    Frugal Saver
    Good morning all. Long time lurker here, find it really motivational reading your posts every week. Hoping that by posting myself I will be even more motivated.

Today's list:
    * No buying lunch at work, I've brought snacks and yogurts with me and have crackers and cheese spread at work
    * Use time on bus to and from work wisely (40 mins each way) - complete any surveys and make a shopping list for this afternoon
    * Stick to shopping list - on the one hand not too difficult as I will be walking but I always seem to time it when they do y/s so I'll allow a bit for that
    * Get organised for tomorrow - usually OH takes me and LO to work/nursery on Tues & Wed but he's away with work for a few nights. I could take the car but parking is £4.00 a day and the bus pass works out cheaper so just need to be organised.
    Originally posted by Frugal Saver

Well that didn't go to plan at all

My bank text me just before midday to check I'd made a transaction just then. Imagine the panic as I frantically searched my bag and pockets for my bus pass and debit card

I can only assume they have fallen out of my bag or I didn't put them in bag and left them on the bus seat. I can't fault the bank, they're going to reimburse me all three transactions they managed to make and fortunately it won't make me overdrawn. I'm also fortunate that I was sent another card last week I just hadn't started using it.

I'm only out of pocket for my bus pass which I had just bought (£14.50), I've managed to cancel it and they will send me a replacement but it will still only be valid for the same period so if it doesn't arrive until the end of the week it's no good.

So now I'm making new plans for the next few days, need to pick up car from OH workplace so I can use that, his brother is giving me a lift. I've got a return ticket today which I can use Wednesday as I'm staying after work and should hopefully get a lift home. It would be fantastic if the replacement pass arrives in the post on Wednesday otherwise I will end up spending more than £14.50 to get to and from work this week.

Arghhh! So annoyed at myself for being so clumsy.
    LBM September 2012
    Debt at LBM £10,573.00
    Current debt £6,000
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,320Posts Today

9,590Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • In or near York? This Wed the @itvmlshow Roadshow" will be at the York Food & Drink Festival - do come and say hi; St Sampsons Square 11-4.

• It's the subtle poetry and lyricism of tweets like this that I find so endearing https://t.co/XhSKBCGyXe

• Interesting well argued take on the Uber situation from a black cab driver... https://t.co/c1I5ta0jde

• Follow Martin