Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • neilio416
    • By neilio416 11th Sep 17, 6:24 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    neilio416
    Offshore investments and repatriation
    • 11th Sep 17, 6:24 AM
    Offshore investments and repatriation 11th Sep 17 at 6:24 AM
    Hi. I've been an expat for a number of years and have my portfolio located offshore. I'll be returning to Canada soon and was wondering about my investments. Should I sell them first and just send the cash? Or should I just transfer the securities over to a Canadian bank? Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks for your time.
Page 1
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 11th Sep 17, 7:51 AM
    • 7,559 Posts
    • 8,161 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    • 11th Sep 17, 7:51 AM
    • 11th Sep 17, 7:51 AM
    This is a UK based forum. I don't expect many people here are familiar with the Canadian tax, banking and financial laws.
    • bostonerimus
    • By bostonerimus 11th Sep 17, 1:21 PM
    • 1,106 Posts
    • 620 Thanks
    bostonerimus
    • 11th Sep 17, 1:21 PM
    • 11th Sep 17, 1:21 PM
    You're life will be far simpler if you sell before you move and pay any CGT where you are currently resident. Then you have a clean slate when you move to Canada. The difficulty comes with pensions as they are usually difficult to access or transfer, but you might find some help if there is a dual tax treaty between Canada and where any pension is located.
    Misanthrope in search of similar for mutual loathing
    • chiang mai
    • By chiang mai 13th Sep 17, 10:57 AM
    • 88 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    chiang mai
    • 13th Sep 17, 10:57 AM
    • 13th Sep 17, 10:57 AM
    Since the funds/instruments are offshore it sounds like the two issues to consider are the Canadian tax laws and any foreign currency exchange implications. Another obvious question is, why transfer them at all, why not leave them where they are?
    • bostonerimus
    • By bostonerimus 13th Sep 17, 1:29 PM
    • 1,106 Posts
    • 620 Thanks
    bostonerimus
    • 13th Sep 17, 1:29 PM
    • 13th Sep 17, 1:29 PM
    Since the funds/instruments are offshore it sounds like the two issues to consider are the Canadian tax laws and any foreign currency exchange implications. Another obvious question is, why transfer them at all, why not leave them where they are?
    Originally posted by chiang mai
    Leaving them where they are will probably complicate matters. If they are outside a tax wrapper two tax returns might be required . More problematic might be investments inside tax wrappers as they might not be recognized in both countries. In these situations you must fully understand the implications of any double tax treaty.
    Misanthrope in search of similar for mutual loathing
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

103Posts Today

1,613Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I believe I can boldly go where no twitter poll has gone before https://t.co/HA0jC92gAK

• OK I'm wilting to public pressure and there will be a star trek captain's poll at some point next week

• I can get that. My order is 1. Picard 2. Janeway 3. Kirk. Too early to say where Lorca will end up (or would you? https://t.co/kawtCOe9RA

• Follow Martin