Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • metrobus
    • By metrobus 11th Sep 17, 3:05 AM
    • 1,361Posts
    • 704Thanks
    metrobus
    Pre authorisation payments debit card
    • 11th Sep 17, 3:05 AM
    Pre authorisation payments debit card 11th Sep 17 at 3:05 AM
    I have recently had a pre authorisation payment hold on funds on a Nationwide debit card the retailer has done this by mistake but assures me the funds become available again after a certain amount of time.
    I would have thought since this type of transaction is to make sure the seller of a service gets paid would if in event normal payment is not paid the funds go to the seller not the returned to the buyer (me)?
    TIA
Page 1
    • Nebulous2
    • By Nebulous2 11th Sep 17, 4:25 AM
    • 1,566 Posts
    • 953 Thanks
    Nebulous2
    • 11th Sep 17, 4:25 AM
    • 11th Sep 17, 4:25 AM
    The pre-authorisation is only to make sure you can afford to pay. It happens all the time, generally when the final amount isn't known as you present the card. A lot of pay at the pump machines, hotels and car-hire firms use it, for example. It usually disappears on its own about 3 days later.

You can end up with the pre-authorisation and the final amount being unavailable to you at the same time, which can cause difficulties for people. It doesn't go to the retailer though - it hasn't been removed from your account, only held against a future request.

Unless there is a charge for using them I always pay with a credit card, as I get a small amount of cashback.
    • bengalknights
    • By bengalknights 11th Sep 17, 11:28 AM
    • 4,116 Posts
    • 1,504 Thanks
    bengalknights
    • 11th Sep 17, 11:28 AM
    • 11th Sep 17, 11:28 AM
    Pre auths tend to get released after 5 days however as nebulous states its more to do with ensuring funds are available then giving the merchant the funds.
    • Anthorn
    • By Anthorn 11th Sep 17, 12:36 PM
    • 3,101 Posts
    • 797 Thanks
    Anthorn
    • 11th Sep 17, 12:36 PM
    • 11th Sep 17, 12:36 PM
    I have recently had a pre authorisation payment hold on funds on a Nationwide debit card the retailer has done this by mistake but assures me the funds become available again after a certain amount of time.
    I would have thought since this type of transaction is to make sure the seller of a service gets paid would if in event normal payment is not paid the funds go to the seller not the returned to the buyer (me)?
    TIA
    Originally posted by metrobus
    A case of the good, the bad and the ugly. The good is that the money will be be made available in your balance when the retailer has not claimed it. The bad is that the retailer will not claim it but your bank doesn't make it available in your balance. The ugly is that the retailer will enter a new sale so the you will pay what is owed for the new sale and the pre-authorised amount will still be reserved. Not so long ago ASDA did the latter with online shoppers.

Keep an eye on it and don't hesitate to complain to the bank and/ or retailer if necessary.
    • metrobus
    • By metrobus 11th Sep 17, 6:01 PM
    • 1,361 Posts
    • 704 Thanks
    metrobus
    • 11th Sep 17, 6:01 PM
    • 11th Sep 17, 6:01 PM
    I have paid the hotel in cash but still await the block to go off on the amount.
    I have looked now into it and for a debit card it takes up to 8 days credit card up to 30 days for the block to go off.
    The hotel says there is no way for them to remove the block although I have paid the bill in cash 5 days ago.
    So does the retailer / service provider need to inform my bank that I have paid or needs to request the amount if I had not?
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 12th Sep 17, 8:21 AM
    • 18,426 Posts
    • 14,139 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 12th Sep 17, 8:21 AM
    • 12th Sep 17, 8:21 AM
    If you paid 5 days ago then the pre-auth will drop off automatically in the next couple of days - it's probably up to 5 working days, which would translate to 7/8 calendar days, and you've probably only had 3 working days since the original transaction.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,363Posts Today

6,930Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin