Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Martin68
    • By Martin68 11th Sep 17, 1:47 AM
    • 6Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Martin68
    Freezing credit reports
    • 11th Sep 17, 1:47 AM
    Freezing credit reports 11th Sep 17 at 1:47 AM
    Hi is it possible to freeze your credit reports for example noodles, equifax etc, to prevent anyone from looking at it, I think someone obtained certain details about me , direct debits payments etc.. To use to access my report,

Thanks, great site
Page 1
    • MEM62
    • By MEM62 11th Sep 17, 9:32 AM
    • 1,330 Posts
    • 954 Thanks
    MEM62
    • 11th Sep 17, 9:32 AM
    • 11th Sep 17, 9:32 AM
    Was the enquiry against your report a legitimate one or are you suggesting that someone has been given access that should not have access to the information?
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 11th Sep 17, 11:36 AM
    • 29,968 Posts
    • 18,978 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 11th Sep 17, 11:36 AM
    • 11th Sep 17, 11:36 AM
    Hi is it possible to freeze your credit reports for example noodles, equifax etc, to prevent anyone from looking at it, I think someone obtained certain details about me , direct debits payments etc.. To use to access my report,

Thanks, great site
    Originally posted by Martin68
    I don't believe you can freeze them but speak to the 3 agencies concerned, they will advise you what to do.
    Can people stop loaning money/being a guarator to family/friends, it rarely ends well and you lose out as your money is gone or you get shafted with being a guarantor.
    • MEM62
    • By MEM62 14th Sep 17, 3:47 PM
    • 1,330 Posts
    • 954 Thanks
    MEM62
    • 14th Sep 17, 3:47 PM
    • 14th Sep 17, 3:47 PM
    Was the enquiry against your report a legitimate one or are you suggesting that someone has been given access that should not have access to the information?
    Originally posted by MEM62
    I guess we'll never know.............
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 15th Sep 17, 10:57 PM
    • 29,968 Posts
    • 18,978 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 15th Sep 17, 10:57 PM
    • 15th Sep 17, 10:57 PM
    Dear, Martin68

Whilst a credit file cannot be frozen, the credit reference agencies can provide the platform needed to raise a dispute regarding a fraudulent item appearing on it.

For example, if someone has attempted to obtain credit using your details and therefore placed a search or credit account on your file, it would be possible to have this data investigated and then removed if found to be placed via unauthorized use of your identity.

The mainstream agencies such as Experian and Equifax are working with CIFAS, which protects vulnerable people from identity fraud.

Whilst being on the CIFAS register will not reduce your credit score, some lenders might be unable to provide an instant response to future applications for credit and could also require the sending of identification if in doubt.
    Originally posted by Credit-Express
    Sounds like your posting as a representative from Credit Express ? If thats the case you need permission to do so.
    Can people stop loaning money/being a guarator to family/friends, it rarely ends well and you lose out as your money is gone or you get shafted with being a guarantor.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

542Posts Today

6,106Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's Twitter poll: Do you agree with @TfL's decision not to reissue Uber's licence on grounds including falling to report serous crimes.

• RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Follow Martin