Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • valbg
    • By valbg 10th Sep 17, 11:28 PM
    • 7Posts
    • 0Thanks
    valbg
    flight cancel: making alternative arrangement
    • 10th Sep 17, 11:28 PM
    flight cancel: making alternative arrangement 10th Sep 17 at 11:28 PM
    My Ryanair flight from Sofia to London was cancelled today with no prior warning. They haven't announced why it was cancelled. After some research on the internet I realised that was because the incoming flight from London was cancelled.

The next available flight that Ryanair is able to offer us on Thursday. (It's Sunday ATM). I cannot afford to wait here till Thursday as I need to get back to work. So I took a refund and make an alternative arrangement to go back to London tomorrow which costs almost £400. (My original Ryanair ticket was only around £100).

Would I be able the claim the cost of making an alternative arrangement from Ryanair? Under the moneysavirngexpert website it says if the flight is cancel I have a right "either a refund for the flight that was cancelled or an alternative flight (airlines call this re-routing) to your destination." The latter is not feasible for me so I took the former but it doesn't say anything about making alternative reasonable arrangement.

If not I also have a nationwide flexplus account so have their travel insurance. I spoke to a representative on the phone which told me I might be able to claim for the cost of alternative arrangement if I can justify the reason why I can't wait till Thursday but there is no guarantee they will pay out. Just wondering if anyone who has a similar experience that they could share?

I understand that I would be entitled to claim the EU Statutory compensation. If I do that would I still be able to claim the cost of making the alternative flight on my travel insurance too (assuming I can claim on my insurance)?

Also as a side Ryanair told us the next available flight (both direct or indirect) is on Thursday but they only offer to put us up in a hotel for one night. Surely that's not lawful??

Thanks a lot.
Page 1
    • Justice13075
    • By Justice13075 11th Sep 17, 12:14 AM
    • 984 Posts
    • 421 Thanks
    Justice13075
    • 11th Sep 17, 12:14 AM
    • 11th Sep 17, 12:14 AM
    Please re-post on the Ryanair thread
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,677Posts Today

5,940Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @iiSteveJonesii: @MartinSLewis After watching you talk this morning about me burning £300 I got on a comparison site tonight & sure enou?

• In or near York? This Wed the @itvmlshow Roadshow" will be at the York Food & Drink Festival - do come and say hi; St Sampsons Square 11-4.

• It's the subtle poetry and lyricism of tweets like this that I find so endearing https://t.co/XhSKBCGyXe

• Follow Martin