Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Natty68
    • By Natty68 10th Sep 17, 9:55 PM
    • 2,362Posts
    • 34,062Thanks
    Natty68
    Weekly Flylady Thread 11th September 2017
    • 10th Sep 17, 9:55 PM
    Weekly Flylady Thread 11th September 2017 10th Sep 17 at 9:55 PM
    Welcome to the weekly Flylady thread. If you need help organising your week or getting motivated when it comes to housework then come and join us.

What is FLYLADY? Well, it's our version of the US flylady idea - but we work on the principle that housework is not fun, it's boring, can be time-consuming, is often thankless but, unfortunately, necessary. It's here on Old Style to provide the support we all need and to make the whole task easier and quicker. We also accept that, sometimes, life just gets on top of us and we can't keep up, maybe because we're time-poor, not in the best of health and/or we have littlies who need us. We are definitely NOT control freaks aiming for perfection and utterly spotless show-homes.

Welcome to the weekly Flylady Thread. You're more than welcome to join us in the everlasting battle against dust, grime and gibble. The aim of our thread is to make those onerous tasks less daunting, and to support each other - and to make time for the finer things in life!

Right now the thread is looking very quiet...but please do remember we have to abide by MSE rules; each post should, ideally, include some mention of flying.

Thank you Valli for last week's thread

It is your responsibility to read the forum rules, please follow them on this thread as Flylady has been here a LONG time and is a fabulous support and resource for lots of us. All posts should have some Flylady-related (ooh a compound adjective) content!

The idea is that even if you are really busy you don't need to fall off the wagon!

Every room comes back around next week so please don’t stress about catching up

These lists are only suggestions and not a must do list; you are more than welcome to post and follow your own lists.

Also adding a declutter mission each day will help to gradually clear the clutter and make flying easier.

A few of the basics before we start the week

Hotspots are areas where if one thing gets put there, loads of other things follow!

Daily routines are anything you need to do on a daily basis like washing, swish and swipe kitchen and bathroom, ironing, making beds, vacuuming high traffic areas, making meals etc.

Night-time routines are all things which make getting ready in the morning easier, preparing clothes for the next day, making lunches, swish & swipes of the kitchen and tidying the living room before you go to bed plus personals like shower/brush teeth etc.

Fling Boogie - stick on some loud music, grab a bin bag and whiz around the house finding items that can go out with the rubbish, recycling, for charity shop, basically anything that will stop it cluttering your home.

Swish and swipe/S&S means have a quick wipe over an area such as a sink or toilet to prevent the build up of dirt. This is usually done on a daily basis

HHE/HHC/HHI Half Hour exercise/challenge/ironing ... run around for 30 minutes to the Benny Hill music frantically cleaning exercising or ironing.. other music may be used if you prefer!

WM ~ Washing machine
    TD ~ Tumble dryer
    SC ~ Slowcooker
    BM ~ Breadmaker
    DW ~ Dishwasher
    SOAADFA ~ Sit on 'bottom' and do 'nothing'
    KH/XH/FW ~ Ex-husband and other not so polite versions
    DH/DD/DS/DW/DP ~ Dear husband/daughter/son/wife/partner/whatever
    OH/SO ~ Other half/significant other
    NN ~ nice neighbour
    Toxic (friend/mother/sister/whoever) ~ person in your life that seems to exist to make your life miserable
    AF ~ Aunt Flo 'time of the month'.. nothing to do with flying but it comes up often.
    ETA ~ Edited to add
    Gibble ~ miscellaneous crap that appears forever homeless
    Dot-to-dot ~ pick a small area (not a whole room) like a chair/coffee/table/shelf/worktop or wherever- thats your first 'dot' - totally clear it - clean it - and only put back what should be there - deal with what you have removed (not just move it somewhere else) then if you have time move on and do the same to another 'dot' -the idea is just like a dot to dot puzzle, you aim to join up all the dots and have a tidy room. The trick is to keep each dot tidy until you get them all joined up!
    RoD ~ Room of Doom, the one room that feels like it is a permanent pit and cannot be used to its potential!

MAD half hour- Mad is the abbreviation for Make A Difference.
    The idea is that you have a Forth bridge (ie never-ending - or just huge) task but that you work on it in half-hour bursts. This way you know you ARE stooping, and that you won't get it finished but you will make a difference - so it might be clearing out - the garage or shed, or clothes sorting, or weeding - you get the picture - but rather than keep going until you've lost the will to live you do half an hour...but, eventually those half hours will get the job done!

Thank you Valli for last week's thread

Click here to read Toots wonderful welcome guide

Ok here goes this week!

Monday Mayhem - Living Room, Hall and Stairs
    Level One...

Vacuum through the living room, hall and stairs
    Level Two..
    Dusting, even if around everything
    Remove clutter making sure stairs especially are safe
    Clean windows and all glass.. including the tv screen
    Clear the mantel and only put back the items which are supposed to be there.. and that doesn't include letters, keys or other treasure!
    Level Three..
    Wipe and water plants
    Put all your hotspots in one pile and work your way through it..
    Vacuum under furniture you can manage to move without hurting yourself

Extras
    • Have a bit of a tidy in the cupboard under the stairs.
    • Wipe down any paintwork that needs it.
    • Binbag dance.. Get a binbag.. fill it and bin it!!!
    • Wash any cushions, throws or curtains that need it.. Do you need your winter curtains up yet?

Tuesday Trauma - Kitchen and Dining Room
    15 minutes...
    Clear and wipe kitchen surfaces
    Level Two..
    Sweep and mop floors
    Clean the fridge.. get rid of all those furry things growing in corners!
    Wipe dining table.. (clean table cloth if necessary)
    Level Three...
    Dust any extra furniture in dining area, checking for cobwebs on way round
    Wipe and replace all those small appliances.. kettle, microwave etc
    Clean cupboard door fronts and fronts of appliances .. don't forget those kick boards..
    Clean out your mankiest kitchen cupboard..

Extras
    • Run the WM through 'clean cycle'.. hottish wash with a splosh of vinegar, soda crystals bleach.. whatever you fancy just clear those pipes of gunge!
    • Wipe down any tiles and shine those taps.. a toothbrush is great for cleaning away the gunk!
    • 31 fling boogie..
    • Wipe over the oven and hob - you know you want to ...
    • Empty the bin.. wash it out.. and make it smell SWEET

Wednesday wobbles- Bathroom and Study/Pc Area
    Level One..

Clean floors in these rooms
    Level Two...
    Clean baths, toilets, don't forget the outside! and sinks.. shine the taps with a toothbrush
    Clear any clutter from desk
    Dust PC and desk and wipe off those cup rings!!
    Wipe keyboard, house phone, sockets, switches and mouse etc
    Level Three..
    Clean those extractor fans
    Wash your bathroom mats, nets, clean blind/curtains etc
    Scrub down tiles in bathroom.. defragment your pc while doing this.
    Empty and clean out all the upstairs bins!
    Clean shower screen/curtain if you have one/if required
    Collect all the dirty laundry

Extras
    • Wipe the skirtings, door and window frames in these rooms
    • Fling all those empty bottles and tubes
    • Replace any sponges, flannels, toiletries that need it
    • Make a long list of those bodies you need to purchase Christmas gifts for!!.. 104 days lol

Thursday Throw!- Master Bedroom & Landing
    Level One...

Check fire alarms are working
    Remove and wash bed linen and duvet covers.
    Fling open the window and let in the rainy sunnyness
    Level Two...
    Dust surfaces & make sure no cobwebs..
    Vacuum & turn mattress before replacing with fresh linen..
    Air the duvet
    15 minutes floordrobe clearance
    Level Three...
    Vacuum floors in bedroom and on landing
    Sort through a cupboard and fling everything that is dead (organic or non organic!)
    Clear a hotspot.. or spend 15 minutes clearing one.

Extras
    • 32 fling boogie time, go on grab a bag and clear that clutter
    • Clean all paintwork on the landing
    • Clean windows in these rooms
    • Clear out your trousers/skirts

Friday Flyday- those frightening kids rooms and spare rooms
    Level One...

Clear away anything that isn't in it's place, clothes, toys, books etc
    Spend at least half an hour doing something for yourself!!!!! paint your nails, make an appointment to have your hair done, a lovely soak in the bath.. whatever you feel like!! I'm having my nails done this morning as usual
    Level Two...
    Vacuum the floor
    Dusting.. all those shelves and flat fluffy surfaces!! Don’t forget the light shade and curtain pole!!!
    spend at least an hour with your family... playing, reading or just watching a dvd and having a hug!
    Strip beds, turn and vacuum mattresses!! and replace with fresh linen .. check if duvets need freshening up too!! Wash the curtains!
    Level Three..
    Clean 2 windows
    Sort through a toybox and make space for santa coming!!
    Wipe any sticky marks off walls and doors

Extras
    • Find 5 things to ebay/freecycle
    • Wipe the radiators, skirtings and window & door frames!
    • HHI
    • End of week fling!! grab a binbag and fill it with stuff to leave the house.. rubbish or charity shop or to donate to a friend!
    • Work yourself to level 3 in your messiest room!!
    • Spend at least an hour with your family... playing, reading or just watching a dvd and having a hug!
    Last edited by Natty68; 14-09-2017 at 10:27 PM.

Struggling financially
Page 3
    • atypicalblonde
    • By atypicalblonde 12th Sep 17, 8:04 AM
    • 2,374 Posts
    • 14,658 Thanks
    atypicalblonde
    Morning All

Just waiting for my omelette to cool so thought I'd log on and say hi. DH only working until lunchtime today so we may pop out somewhere this afternoon. Need to be careful with the pennies though - finally bought a much needed rug for our living room yesterday which I know will make me go when it arrives but right now I am just at the cost! It is gorgeous though and will really finish the room off.

No laundry to do, may mop the floors if I get chance. More work admin to do for DH as ever.

Have great days all xx
    MFW
    Mortgage 8.2.15 - £171,064.64 Mortgage 10.9.17 - £122,780
    Aiming to be MF 1.10.2020
    • Valli
    • By Valli 12th Sep 17, 8:52 AM
    • 20,046 Posts
    • 227,765 Thanks
    Valli
    Morning ladies

I have running water
    Originally posted by Dizzy Imp
    bet it's hot, too *envy*

while it's frustrating - and likely to be expensive, in the great scheme of things it's an inconvenience to be without a boiler.

Have washing on the line.

Went in shops I have never been in before, like Seasalt, and White Stuff and a 'surfy' sort of shop I have forgotten the name of now where there (fish something?) was a gorgeous, practical, super-for-work tunic which I said I wouldn't try while I am losing weight (snort - we went in Betty's and I ate cheesecake). Good job, because I am now impoverished for the foreseeable, though I did buy my sister a nautical doorstop for a gift.

Off out on errands
    Last edited by Valli; 12-09-2017 at 8:56 AM.
    Make two - and freeze one!
    Don't put it DOWN - put it AWAY!
    DEBT ATTACK - Debts to attack 1-£6150.87 24/04/2017 £5303.03 22/07/2017 BT -
    £5342.65
    2 Virgin CC £585.88 31/7/2017 £494.88 11/8/2017
    • Fayolle
    • By Fayolle 12th Sep 17, 9:31 AM
    • 287 Posts
    • 3,366 Thanks
    Fayolle
    Ok, so who put the empty lightbulb box back in the cupboard

Car sorted, yesterday's still wet washing out on the line, WM running. The vacuum cleaner is about to be launched into action.
    • Mudbath
    • By Mudbath 12th Sep 17, 9:33 AM
    • 5,375 Posts
    • 112,411 Thanks
    Mudbath
    Massive hugs Natty and all those who need a big squishy hug xxx

I'm in from today. Two more days off but being away and leaving DH, DD & DS at home means the house needs a bit of effort. It was worth it though
    • bossymoo
    • By bossymoo 12th Sep 17, 10:00 AM
    • 6,797 Posts
    • 86,729 Thanks
    bossymoo
    Morning!

Outdoor flying so far - we are quite exposed here so when the winds hit tonight it might cause a mess, so Ive been out and emptied the hutch, and managed to squeeze it in the bike store. Bikes moved to playhouse. Have moved DS tractor into a sheltered corner and ensured everything is locked away. I've pulled up tomato plants - they are not ripening and have already blown over. So I have green toms, and the rest is in the brown bin for composting. Have also relieved the apple tree of a dozen fruit, so might look up some chutney recipes, as my stepdad was hinting at the weekend.

I think the furries are in until spring now, we may have the odd day where they can go out on the lawn, but the nights are too cold for them. It's quite nice having breakfast with them and of course not getting wet when we nip out to feed them

Other jobs today include getting the spare room ready for granny, putting the cases in the loft (may have a tidy while I'm up there...) and returning DD pe trainers that don't fit she'll be wearing her brothers at this rate... Actually, that's not a bad idea, lol.

Want to cut the grass too. If I get chance!
    Bossymoo
    Teetering on the edge...

Sealed Pot Challenge 10 - #91
    • atypicalblonde
    • By atypicalblonde 12th Sep 17, 10:45 AM
    • 2,374 Posts
    • 14,658 Thanks
    atypicalblonde
    Done a fair bit so far. School & pre-school runs done, taken dog to the groomers, bought a few essentials at the shop and taken some cash out.

I have also read & submitted meter readings, had a lovely cuppa and cleared a few hot-spots in the living room. Must also pack DS bag for his little trip away with DH this weekend - boys on tour xx
    MFW
    Mortgage 8.2.15 - £171,064.64 Mortgage 10.9.17 - £122,780
    Aiming to be MF 1.10.2020
    • Fayolle
    • By Fayolle 12th Sep 17, 1:38 PM
    • 287 Posts
    • 3,366 Thanks
    Fayolle
    So far I have...
    Dusted, tidied and vacc'd living room, dining room and kitchen
    Retrieved emptied bins from the street
    Brought in dry 1st load of washing and hung out second load
    Been to the allotment and done picking for friend while she is sunning herself on holiday. Runner beans anyone??
    Put stuff in slow cooker....then remembered to switch it on an hour later
    Mopped kitchen floor.
    Now having a cup of tomato soup. I hate tomato soup but DH keeps buying it! After 27 years he should know better!

It doesn't look as much written down as I imagined it to be
    • kazwookie
    • By kazwookie 12th Sep 17, 2:13 PM
    • 9,271 Posts
    • 117,729 Thanks
    kazwookie
    I lost my long post from this morning....................so I won't bore you all with it.

Since lunch time
    I ve cut the lawn
    Been to the tip
    Posted another ebay sale
    Bought a food for tonights dinner
    Been to the garden centre and bought autumn lawn feed.
    Spread said autumn lawn feed, it says it will kill moss and weeds, I will wait and see
    Spoken to adopted grandson else where in the world via whats app, he wanted to show me his home work as he got an A+, didn't understand a word of the home work as it is in a different language and script, but I did see the A+, so I have told him when I get there in a few weeks, I will treat him and he can choose what he wants, so it seem he wants to go to the beach and have a picnic and bring his friend with him, I think I can managed that,
    Sun, Sea
    • wendywitch
    • By wendywitch 12th Sep 17, 3:37 PM
    • 1,287 Posts
    • 14,998 Thanks
    wendywitch
    DD2 and I have been shopping, done some banking and the bathroom and made a start on the kitchen.
    We - sorted through the contents of the bathroom cupboard. Everything is in boxes so the owners and decide what's happening with it. We have too much for our cupboard space.
    The cupboard has been cleaned.
    The walls/corners de-cobwedded.
    Walls, tiles and skirting all scrubbed.
    Window and sill cleaned.
    Toilet, basin and mirror all cleaned.
    Bath currently has said boxes in it so not done yet.
    Floor hoovered and mopped.
    Cat litter trays emptied, scrubbed and replaced.
    Bin emptied.
    Only a hand towel to replace.

All clean washing has been dumped on owners beds to be put away.
    Medical boxes have been gone through for dates, tidied and packed away.
    Cupboard fronts and kick boards scrubbed.
    Cooker top cleaned and worktops cleaned.

That's it so far
    • roundtuit
    • By roundtuit 12th Sep 17, 4:27 PM
    • 380 Posts
    • 6,093 Thanks
    roundtuit
    Four hours put in doing the paid stuff first, then home to wait in for the man coming to service the boiler between 1.30 and 6.00. He's been and gone - not sure what he did up there but there was an almighty bang which frightened both me and the budgie All fine, except the pressure was down, so he's upped it.

As soon as he'd gone I put on the heating and the WM. First load is now draped on radiators and airer, and I calculated what space I have left and put on a second load to fill it. I've also fed the birds, made my bed and put the rubbish out.

I keep thinking it's Wednesday - so had to stop myself from putting out the bins ready for Thursday collection. My head's a shed this afternoon (nothing new there then )

Hugs and sticks/ furry mules are available for anyone who needs them.

Take care everyone

Rx
    • bossymoo
    • By bossymoo 12th Sep 17, 4:43 PM
    • 6,797 Posts
    • 86,729 Thanks
    bossymoo
    Kids are being unpleasant and unhelpful so I've retired to my room. I don't think they even care. I ought to make dinner but What's the point? No one ever enjoys it, most gets wasted and I end up resenting it.

I put the cases away and cut the grass earlier. Also emptied the vac and put the bin out.

Might just go to bed...
    Bossymoo
    Teetering on the edge...

Sealed Pot Challenge 10 - #91
    • kazwookie
    • By kazwookie 12th Sep 17, 4:58 PM
    • 9,271 Posts
    • 117,729 Thanks
    kazwookie
    Bossy, tell the littllemoos if they don't behave the flyladies will be round to sort them out, and it will be bread and jam all round for some thing to eat

Dinner is in oven cooking.

Ironing doen and away, 2 empty baskets! but one of them some how has a hole in it at the side
    Sun, Sea
    • lynnejk
    • By lynnejk 12th Sep 17, 5:34 PM
    • 4,871 Posts
    • 51,186 Thanks
    lynnejk
    Afternoon all

Hugs to all

Dailies done
    Spanish lessons done
    Tesco order received and put away
    Dinner on the go

Monday Mayhem - Living Room and Hall
    Vacuum through the living room and hall
    Put all your hotspots in one pile and work your way through it..
    Vacuum under furniture you can manage to move without hurting yourself

Tuesday Trauma - Kitchen and Dining Room
    Mop floors
    Clean the fridge

Back laters
    Lx
    £10day..2014=3213..2015=3421..2016=3238..2017=1795....SEPT=189.80/150
    GrocC..2014=2162..2015=2083..2016=2181..2017=1337....SEPT=102.84/200
    Bulk buy.......SEPT=13.48
    GC.NSD....2015=216....2016=213....2017=126....SEPT=12/15
    SPC130x57...2014=1178...2015=1287...2016=4616. ..2017=764.96
    OS WL= -5/8 ......CC =840......Savings = £9250
    • FurryBeastOz
    • By FurryBeastOz 12th Sep 17, 5:57 PM
    • 1,083 Posts
    • 14,296 Thanks
    FurryBeastOz
    Interesting discussion about flymeets. I just talk too much drivel and frighten people off I'm sureLW.
    Originally posted by Narc0lepsy
    No you don't You are great fun. I'd love to meet up again.
    *** Debt Free***
    NST September - /18
    Goals - Weight loss 0/13lb from 1st Jul 17
    GC To 1/9/17 £2152.27/£3,500, 61.5/66.6% of the year. Had to raise budget
    • Narc0lepsy
    • By Narc0lepsy 12th Sep 17, 7:22 PM
    • 1,420 Posts
    • 20,534 Thanks
    Narc0lepsy
    Started day with zumba.
    Did search to check comparison prices on house insurance, decided to stick with same one but rang them to update a couple of details. Yawn. 2 phone calls being entertained by a range of their 'on hold' music (thankfully not Greensleeves) to find out that, as Mr N is now retired so the house can be deemed to be occupied full time i.e. not left vulnerable to intruders, our premium has reduced............£8. What on earth shall I spend it on? Not forgetting the £2.30 cashback for doing the search.

Rang private student's dad, got questions answered and paperwork ready for assessment on Friday.

Did another major sorting of gibble in the RoD i.e. my office. Got Mr N to drag out printer desk, last known location of a furry thing, and vacuumed underneath. No sign of furry things. However lots more paperwork and magazines in the recycling box yippee.

On a very sober note, friend with suspected meningitis has not got it. It is an evil tumour in her brain. Devastated. I spoke to her sobbing husband and they are doing another scan to see if it is a secondary, which they suspect. Mr N and I are beyond shocked, this is a couple who have been together 3 months longer than us (39yrs); when I met Mr N he shared a house with the husband and has known him since a teenager. Their daughter is planning her wedding next year. Lots of prayers going on here. And I've got my BIL's funeral in 3 weeks time.
    Remember...a layer of dust protects the wood beneath it.
    • pigpen
    • By pigpen 12th Sep 17, 7:23 PM
    • 35,960 Posts
    • 463,555 Thanks
    pigpen
    Funny you should say that Bossy.. DD1 and I were discussing why children are A$$holes just this morning.. we realise it is the parents job to turn these wild beasts into respectable humans but really.. aaarrggghh. Bedtime couldnt come soon enough.
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    06/06/2017 £56823.12 (5.15% int.)
    • pigpen
    • By pigpen 12th Sep 17, 7:24 PM
    • 35,960 Posts
    • 463,555 Thanks
    pigpen
    Narco.. thats awful.. so sad for everyone concerned
    • pigpen
    • By pigpen 12th Sep 17, 7:25 PM
    • 35,960 Posts
    • 463,555 Thanks
    pigpen
    ooh.. and it's my nannas 89th birthday today.
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 12th Sep 17, 7:30 PM
    • 9,691 Posts
    • 104,556 Thanks
    LameWolf
    I haven't met Daisy, and only have the bare bones of any information about her (R will fill me in on her daily routine) so it's going to be interesting. I do know she's 13 years old, so won't be wanting 15-mile walkies, so that's something!
    Originally posted by LameWolf
    Well, it turns out I already know Daisy! She was a client of the previous dog-sitting company I was with, and she stayed with me at Xmas 2012, and twice in 2014. Small world, eh?
    Ok, so who put the empty lightbulb box back in the cupboard
    Originally posted by Fayolle
    Oh lordy, my mother used to regularly put empty food packets back in the cupboard. I never understood why. Also she didn't keep an ongoing shopping list, she used to write her shopping list religiously every Wednesday evening, checking what she needed by opening the cupboards and looking..... You see where this is going, right? Yeah, right - half the time we never had anything in the cupboards to make a meal out of. But that was sort of ok, because she was the sort of cook who could burn water.

Little Moos - please stop upsetting your Mum, right now!

Went to 0ffice 0utlet (used to be $taples) to see igf they'd had new stock of basic printers in yet; asked to speak to the man we spoke with last week, and he hid from us! It was really weird, we know he was in; the till staff called for him twice, and after waiting a quarter of an hour, we decided enough was enough.
    Went online to Argoose; got a basic HP printer for very little money, was able to use some shopping vouchers I'd got, so only paid 99p in actual cash, and it's now all set up and running - and 0ffice 0utlet haven't just lost a sale, I'll think twice about bothering to go there again for anything! So there!!
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • Valli
    • By Valli 12th Sep 17, 7:56 PM
    • 20,046 Posts
    • 227,765 Thanks
    Valli
    Oh Narco such sad news.
    Make two - and freeze one!
    Don't put it DOWN - put it AWAY!
    DEBT ATTACK - Debts to attack 1-£6150.87 24/04/2017 £5303.03 22/07/2017 BT -
    £5342.65
    2 Virgin CC £585.88 31/7/2017 £494.88 11/8/2017
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,774Posts Today

7,549Users online

Martin's Twitter