Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • nightsky224
    • By nightsky224 10th Sep 17, 9:35 PM
    • 807Posts
    • 539Thanks
    nightsky224
    New phone recommendations for Nan over 70
    • 10th Sep 17, 9:35 PM
    New phone recommendations for Nan over 70 10th Sep 17 at 9:35 PM
    I'm hoping this is ok to post here but I'm after some help.

My nan has limited exposure to technology, can record programmes on her PVR, text and call on her current phone (very old teeny tiny Nokia) and use i player/itv apps on my iPad when she comes to visit.

She needs a new phone as hers is so small and she struggles to use the buttons and see the screen. She would use it to call and text. It would be nice for family to send her pictures. She may use it for more in the future but not sure.

I really don't know anything but iPhones so I wanted to ask if anyone had any other reccomendations for a simple phone (that preferably doesn't cost too much)
    Recently married and loving it x
Page 1
    • onlyroz
    • By onlyroz 10th Sep 17, 9:46 PM
    • 13,454 Posts
    • 25,571 Thanks
    onlyroz
    • 10th Sep 17, 9:46 PM
    • 10th Sep 17, 9:46 PM
    Why can't she use an iPhone? My mum is 73 and has one. My 83-year-old aunt has an iPad.
    • ScarletMarble
    • By ScarletMarble 10th Sep 17, 10:40 PM
    • 7,138 Posts
    • 13,051 Thanks
    ScarletMarble
    • 10th Sep 17, 10:40 PM
    • 10th Sep 17, 10:40 PM
    IPhones are fiddly with elderly hands. Your Nan able to use an IPad is because of the size

Here are some smartphones suitable for your Nan http://www.androidauthority.com/best-phones-for-seniors-690547/
    • nightsky224
    • By nightsky224 11th Sep 17, 8:48 AM
    • 807 Posts
    • 539 Thanks
    nightsky224
    • 11th Sep 17, 8:48 AM
    • 11th Sep 17, 8:48 AM
    Why can't she use an iPhone? My mum is 73 and has one. My 83-year-old aunt has an iPad.
    Originally posted by onlyroz
    I'm sure she could but it is still a bit complicated and expensive given she won't make the use of a lot of the facilities

IPhones are fiddly with elderly hands. Your Nan able to use an IPad is because of the size

Here are some smartphones suitable for your Nan http://www.androidauthority.com/best-phones-for-seniors-690547/
    Originally posted by ScarletMarble
    That's great thank you, some good looking phones although I don't know if they are available in the UK
    • Solarjunkie
    • By Solarjunkie 12th Sep 17, 10:57 AM
    • 350 Posts
    • 1,291 Thanks
    Solarjunkie
    • 12th Sep 17, 10:57 AM
    • 12th Sep 17, 10:57 AM
    All our elderlies have a phone from ttfone.com
    Big buttons, easy to use, ideal for calls & texts. Look up big button phones & you'll find several makes, possibly check on AgeUK for example. Then buy on ebay, like we did!
    Deal with things as they are, not as they should be.
    • nightsky224
    • By nightsky224 12th Sep 17, 1:47 PM
    • 807 Posts
    • 539 Thanks
    nightsky224
    • 12th Sep 17, 1:47 PM
    • 12th Sep 17, 1:47 PM
    Thank you we had one of those phones for my grandad. She sends quite a few texts though and the screens are quite small which is what she struggles with. Would be nice to get her one where she can receive pictures too
    • Katgrit
    • By Katgrit 16th Sep 17, 9:46 PM
    • 472 Posts
    • 1,271 Thanks
    Katgrit
    • 16th Sep 17, 9:46 PM
    • 16th Sep 17, 9:46 PM
    Have a Google of "Doro" phones, they're nice and simple and I know some have colour screens and can receive photo messages. If she's up to a reasonable standard with technology they also do an android smart phone, that's got a sort of "dumbed down" user interface and simple menus. My 66 year old technophobe mother loves hers, although I do get fortnightly calls saying "There's an icon appeared I've never seen before!". My 93 year old Grandad uses a Doro mobile with just 6 keys, that's dial, hang up and 4 memory buttons, not even a keypad! There's something in the range for everyone. Check out ebay for some of the simpler older models.

Hope this helps
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,726Posts Today

6,881Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin