Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • firely2327
    • By firely2327 10th Sep 17, 8:50 PM
    • 125Posts
    • 62Thanks
    firely2327
    Quote for small bathroom refurb very high?
    • 10th Sep 17, 8:50 PM
    Quote for small bathroom refurb very high? 10th Sep 17 at 8:50 PM
    Got a plumber in for a quote for a remodel of my bathroom and not sure whether it's reasonable or not. Current bathroom has the following:
    bath with 200x200mm tiles above it to ceiling
    remainder of walls wood panel to top of cistern level, then paper (I know, paper!)
    vinyl flooring
    electric shower

I want the following:
    remove and dispose of old wall coverings and bath and sink
    install corner shower tray and doors
    install new mixer shower fed off gas
    install new handbasin in corner of bathroom (can use old bath outlet pipes)
    tile all walls and floors
    install heated towel rail in place of current 'regular' rad

Room is small 1.6*2.3m so total area max for tiling is 19msq
    He reckons 8 days work

Apart from being ceramic we didn't discuss colour or anything else about the tiles, however I've got a quote from him for all materials, disposal and labour. How he can know the price of the tiles when I even haven't chosen is beyond me. All in it's just about £3k, nearly £2k of which if for the labour.

Based on experiences of people on here, does this seem reasonable? Thoughts appreciated. Thanks
Page 1
    • Warwick Hunt
    • By Warwick Hunt 10th Sep 17, 8:59 PM
    • 219 Posts
    • 111 Thanks
    Warwick Hunt
    • 10th Sep 17, 8:59 PM
    • 10th Sep 17, 8:59 PM
    Seems to be on the cheap side of cheap.
    • Marktheshark
    • By Marktheshark 10th Sep 17, 9:01 PM
    • 5,597 Posts
    • 7,031 Thanks
    Marktheshark
    • 10th Sep 17, 9:01 PM
    • 10th Sep 17, 9:01 PM
    It might be cheaper to get an electric power shower such as a mira or AKW, they are thermostatic as well so you dont scold when someone runs a tap down the street.
    Brexit will become whatever they invent it to be.
    • glasgowdan
    • By glasgowdan 10th Sep 17, 9:03 PM
    • 2,404 Posts
    • 2,684 Thanks
    glasgowdan
    • 10th Sep 17, 9:03 PM
    • 10th Sep 17, 9:03 PM
    8 man days is probably about right, but that's £250/day per man, possibly including his assistant. Up to you if you want to pay that or not. Where in the country are you?
    • Marktheshark
    • By Marktheshark 10th Sep 17, 9:04 PM
    • 5,597 Posts
    • 7,031 Thanks
    Marktheshark
    • 10th Sep 17, 9:04 PM
    • 10th Sep 17, 9:04 PM
    8 man days is probably about right, but that's £250/day per man, possibly including his assistant. Up to you if you want to pay that or not. Where in the country are you?
    Originally posted by glasgowdan
    You pay that an hour in a big city.
    Brexit will become whatever they invent it to be.
    • firely2327
    • By firely2327 10th Sep 17, 9:09 PM
    • 125 Posts
    • 62 Thanks
    firely2327
    • 10th Sep 17, 9:09 PM
    • 10th Sep 17, 9:09 PM
    Wow, thanks for speedy reply guys. I'm in Manchester.

Not going with electric shower, they are too expensive to run... I am fond of a long shower

He wants to do the 8 days as a block too, which I'm not overly happy about. I work from home a bit and would like to do that in peace. Been toying with the idea of just getting the ripping out and plumbing aspect done, and deal with the tiling myself. I'm in no rush, to get it completed and I do like doing things myself where possible. I've not done any proper tiling before myself but reckon I can manage, I'm pretty handy at diy in general but I draw the line and jobs where I could flood the place or electrocute myself!
    • glasgowdan
    • By glasgowdan 10th Sep 17, 9:39 PM
    • 2,404 Posts
    • 2,684 Thanks
    glasgowdan
    • 10th Sep 17, 9:39 PM
    • 10th Sep 17, 9:39 PM
    You pay that an hour in a big city.
    Originally posted by Marktheshark
    For a bathroom fitter? I doubt it. You know bathroom companies that charge £1500-2000/day per man?
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 10th Sep 17, 11:00 PM
    • 23,748 Posts
    • 66,085 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    • 10th Sep 17, 11:00 PM
    • 10th Sep 17, 11:00 PM
    An average bathroom, well done is realistically around £5k.

Labour is about right, materials are cheap. I'd spend more so you don't buy cheap, pay dear.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
    • Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 11th Sep 17, 12:02 AM
    • 1,045 Posts
    • 1,267 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck
    • 11th Sep 17, 12:02 AM
    • 11th Sep 17, 12:02 AM
    It might be cheaper to get an electric power shower such as a mira or AKW, they are thermostatic as well so you dont scold when someone runs a tap down the street.
    Originally posted by Marktheshark
    Bet your neighbours love you, telling them off whenever they use their taps. I don't quite understand why owning a thermostatic shower would stop you scolding them though?
    • firely2327
    • By firely2327 11th Sep 17, 7:05 AM
    • 125 Posts
    • 62 Thanks
    firely2327

Labour is about right, materials are cheap. I'd spend more so you don't buy cheap, pay dear.
    Originally posted by Doozergirl

Thanks, I agree on the materials side. I've already been to choose my own tiles since. He'd never bring in the materials at what he said with my chosen tiles, even with his trade discount.
    • kinger101
    • By kinger101 11th Sep 17, 11:50 AM
    • 3,810 Posts
    • 5,202 Thanks
    kinger101
    Labour sounds right. £250 a day is a fairly standard rate. Though he should have discussed tiles with you because smaller tiles will be a lot more work than larger ones. I'd be inclined to spend for a higher spec if I could. Particularly for things like thermostatic mixers.
    • trailingspouse
    • By trailingspouse 11th Sep 17, 2:29 PM
    • 2,200 Posts
    • 3,071 Thanks
    trailingspouse
    For materials, I think he may be meaning all the consumables - grout, sealant, tile spacers, piping, etc etc etc?

When we had our bathrooms done, we sourced the 'pretty' stuff ourselves, and our plumber sourced everything else. He charges £150 per day for labour, and took 3 weeks for the main bathroom (very large, with a complicated tiling design on the floor) including removal of the old bathroom, repositioning the toilet and soil pipe, plastering and tiling.

At the end of the day if you think the quote is too high, get other quotes.
    • MagicMoneyTree
    • By MagicMoneyTree 11th Sep 17, 2:32 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    MagicMoneyTree
    I've used Mybuilder.com extensively in the past for jobs like this. I post the requirement and gather around 4-5 quotes, then go with the best ratio of good reviews to reasonable price. The fact you can review them when the work is complete tends to keep them accountable and honest.
    • phill99
    • By phill99 11th Sep 17, 6:23 PM
    • 7,956 Posts
    • 7,190 Thanks
    phill99
    I run property maintenance company and major on bathrooms and kitchens.
    I wouldn't take this job on unless it was a block of 8 days. If you want him off site for a couple of days, he will probably not have other work to go too. So realistically you are messing him around.

You need to get other quotes.
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
    • Cisco001
    • By Cisco001 12th Sep 17, 12:11 PM
    • 2,678 Posts
    • 1,136 Thanks
    Cisco001
    To save labour, you can consider bathroom wall panel.
    Last edited by Cisco001; 12-09-2017 at 4:07 PM.
    • macman
    • By macman 12th Sep 17, 1:00 PM
    • 41,291 Posts
    • 16,954 Thanks
    macman
    So you are proposing to install the shower, and then tile it? That's the wrong way around: the enclosure should be fitted onto the tiles.
    And, in the interim period, your walls are going to get waterlogged, should you want to have a shower.
    Time is money, and expecting someone to split it into 2 or 3 sessions for no good reason is just daft: he'd have to move all his tools in and out, face delayed payment, etc.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
    • Nile
    • By Nile 13th Sep 17, 10:32 AM
    • 14,196 Posts
    • 14,125 Thanks
    Nile
    Hi, we move threads if we think they’ll get more help elsewhere (please read the forum rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board. If you have any questions about this policy please email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.

I’ve moved your thread from the 'In my home' board to the ‘Is This Quote Fair?’ board, where it is better suited.

Regards

Nile
    Hi, I'm the Board Guide on the In my home (includes DIY) and the I wanna buy-it or do-it boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and I can move and merge posts there. However, do remember that Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,363Posts Today

6,930Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin