Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • KRed89
    • By KRed89 10th Sep 17, 8:49 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    KRed89
    Loans to study abroad
    • 10th Sep 17, 8:49 PM
    Loans to study abroad 10th Sep 17 at 8:49 PM
    Hi All,

I have been planning on studying abroad (Greece) for a Masters due to start next September. Up until now I had been planning on applying for Erasmus+ funding as any repayments were deferred until 6 months after graduating. Recently I have been told this is no longer available and so I am looking for alternative options.

I have been looking into personal loans but, as it would need to cover 2 years of living costs, the loan amount required is reasonably significant - I estimate 15k in total. This amount along with the fact I would not be able to work whilst studying has left me with very few (if any) options that appear during searches on comparison sites. I currently have 5k in savings that I could use to cover monthly repayments during my studies, is this something companies would take into account on a loan application?

Any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I have no experience in loans!

A few additional points:

- I have a very good credit history (no debts/missed payments etc)
    - I am unable to apply for the government masters loan in the UK due to already holding the qualification
    - As an older student, taking a couple of years to work and save up is not really an ideal option although I understand it may be the only one!

Thanks in advance!
Page 1
    • jonesMUFCforever
    • By jonesMUFCforever 10th Sep 17, 9:24 PM
    • 23,977 Posts
    • 11,263 Thanks
    jonesMUFCforever
    • 10th Sep 17, 9:24 PM
    • 10th Sep 17, 9:24 PM
    No UK bank will give you a loan if you are not in receipt of a salary.
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always receive lots
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

325Posts Today

3,056Users online

Martin's Twitter