Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • dilby00
    • By dilby00 10th Sep 17, 8:32 PM
    • 120Posts
    • 8Thanks
    dilby00
    Missed appeal window due to second ticket
    • 10th Sep 17, 8:32 PM
    Missed appeal window due to second ticket 10th Sep 17 at 8:32 PM
    Hi all - I know there's so many posts and I promise I've been doing lost of reading, but still unsure regarding my particular situation and was hoping someone could help. Will keep it short:

About 4 months ago I received a ticket for two separate parking offences in two weeks and so when the first ticket came I appealed as per forum instructions and haven't heard back (so fingers crossed its been dropped). However due to my lack of observation (yes i know this was stupid), when the ticket for the second offence came I assumed it was to do with the first ticket. It's only when I realised there were two offences that I realised I had missed the appeal window for the second ticket.

I've read on the forum that if you miss the window then there's no point doing anything, but the letters are now well into debt collector stage with the latest letter stating court action is next.

My question is is there anything I should do between now and court? I've read a lot about preparing defences etc but that is once court comes (if it does). Is there anything I can do now or should I just assume I'll end up there?

The parking offence was from a private company where the driver parked in a mall's car park and overstayed by around half an hour.

I'm trying to be short but if you need any more info please let me know!

Many thanks!
Page 1
    • Redx
    • By Redx 10th Sep 17, 8:35 PM
    • 15,486 Posts
    • 19,571 Thanks
    Redx
    • 10th Sep 17, 8:35 PM
    • 10th Sep 17, 8:35 PM
    if these are private parking charges then no "offences" were committed, just "transgressions"

if this is in debt collector land , nothing can be done, other than complaining to the landholder and trying to get them cancelled

debt collectors can be ignored, they are powerless

assume they may try civil court within 6 years, dont ignore an LBC or an MCOL

in the greater scheme of things , 4 months is NOTHING when you think they have 72 months to try court

See post #4 of the NEWBIES FAQ sticky thread
    Newbies !!
    Private Parking ticket? check the 2 sticky threads by coupon-mad and crabman in the Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking Board forum for the latest advice or maybe try pepipoo or C.A.G. or legal beagles forums if you need legal advice as well because this parking forum is not about debt collectors or legal matters per se
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 10th Sep 17, 9:10 PM
    • 14,503 Posts
    • 22,794 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    • 10th Sep 17, 9:10 PM
    • 10th Sep 17, 9:10 PM
    Is there anything I can do now or should I just assume I'll end up there?
    Yes - tell us who the parking company is, then we can tell you how much further this is likely to go.
    We cannot provide you with a silver bullet to get you out of this. You have to be in for the long run, and need to involve yourself in research and work for you to get rid of this. It is not simple. We will help, but can't do it for you.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 10th Sep 17, 11:49 PM
    • 49,944 Posts
    • 63,353 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 10th Sep 17, 11:49 PM
    • 10th Sep 17, 11:49 PM
    Is there anything I can do now or should I just assume I'll end up there?
    The NEWBIES thread tells you to Google 'BMPA Insight' and the name or acronym of the PPC, to see how often they try small claims.
    PRIVATE PCN? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT TWO Clicks needed for advice:
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    Advice to ignore is WRONG, unless in Scotland/NI.

• dilby00
    • By dilby00 11th Sep 17, 6:07 PM
    • 120 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    dilby00
    • 11th Sep 17, 6:07 PM
    • 11th Sep 17, 6:07 PM
    Thanks for the advice coupon-mad; have just used this link for zpps: http://www.bmpa.eu/companydata/ZZPS.html

No court activity at all, and they don't recommend appealing at any stage anyway!
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 11th Sep 17, 6:25 PM
    • 14,503 Posts
    • 22,794 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    • 11th Sep 17, 6:25 PM
    • 11th Sep 17, 6:25 PM
    Thanks for the advice coupon-mad; have just used this link for zpps: http://www.bmpa.eu/companydata/ZZPS.html

No court activity at all, and they don't recommend appealing at any stage anyway!
    Originally posted by dilby00
    ZZPS are not the private parking company (PPC) you're involved with here. ZZPS are debt collectors.

Look on their letter(s) to see if it identifies who their client is (that will be the PPC).
    We cannot provide you with a silver bullet to get you out of this. You have to be in for the long run, and need to involve yourself in research and work for you to get rid of this. It is not simple. We will help, but can't do it for you.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
    • dilby00
    • By dilby00 13th Sep 17, 9:52 PM
    • 120 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    dilby00
    • 13th Sep 17, 9:52 PM
    • 13th Sep 17, 9:52 PM
    ZZPS are not the private parking company (PPC) you're involved with here. ZZPS are debt collectors.

Look on their letter(s) to see if it identifies who their client is (that will be the PPC).
    Originally posted by Umkomaas
    You're right - whoops! It's Premier Park and I've just checked and they've had 36 court hearings so far this year!

http://www.bmpa.eu/companydata/Premier_Park.html
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 13th Sep 17, 10:09 PM
    • 14,503 Posts
    • 22,794 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    • 13th Sep 17, 10:09 PM
    • 13th Sep 17, 10:09 PM
    You're right - whoops! It's Premier Park and I've just checked and they've had 36 court hearings so far this year!

http://www.bmpa.eu/companydata/Premier_Park.html
    As you've no access to a formal appeal now, through missing their deadline, you have the following choices:

1. Pay them and get rid of it from your life - but on a 'FightBack' forum you will forgive us if we don't recommend that course of action.

2. Sit back (while you do plenty of research and learn about how to deal with any potential court case) and see what their next move is.

3. Check on how your complaint to the mall, about the charge and your request for them to intervene, is progressing. You have complained .... haven't you?

• dilby00
    • By dilby00 15th Sep 17, 9:40 PM
    • 120 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    dilby00
    • 15th Sep 17, 9:40 PM
    • 15th Sep 17, 9:40 PM
    Thanks for the replies. I guess I'm just a little disappointed as the ticket was originally just £60 and is now £210. In regards to premier parking the forum advice is to appeal if you want, but to not really bother as it doesn't get anywhere, and to not pay. There's also advice like this (i know this is nothing to do with money saving expert) that say to ignore all tickets and essentially parking companies never win in court. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUYzBcFLWMA

But now I just have a bigger ticket and my advice seems to be to prepare for a lengthy battle, which seems a shame.

The reason I haven't taken it up with homebase is that i can't find any record at all of it - the payment must have been cash - so I fear that I'd just be admitting fault for no benefit.
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 15th Sep 17, 9:49 PM
    • 3,616 Posts
    • 1,829 Thanks
    KeithP
    That video is very old.

Here is another copy of the same thing:

Note that the publisher's comment, dated March 2012, on that page is:
    PLEASE BE AWARE THAT THE ADVICE HAS CHANGED IN ENGLAND OR WALES SINCE THIS WATCHDOG VIDEO, YOU NEED TO TAKE FURTHER ADVICE FROM MSE FORUMS OR PEPIPOO.COM
    Last edited by KeithP; 15-09-2017 at 9:54 PM.
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 15th Sep 17, 9:51 PM
    • 14,503 Posts
    • 22,794 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    The reason I haven't taken it up with homebase is that i can't find any record at all of it - the payment must have been cash - so I fear that I'd just be admitting fault for no benefit
    Homebase have a reasonable record of cancelling tickets. If you don't try, you don't get! 'Admitting fault' to Homebase has no consequence. They don't go running to the PPC to report on every parking charge complaint they get. Give it your best.

Go in there and 'wing it'. Get the manager, don't deal with the spotty yoof on the Customer Services desk.

Do you have previous receipts/bank or credit card statements showing you have spent there previously (especially a big transaction)? Take them with you.

• Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 15th Sep 17, 10:30 PM
    • 49,944 Posts
    • 63,353 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    Thanks for the replies. I guess I'm just a little disappointed as the ticket was originally just £60 and is now £210.
    No, it isn't.

In regards to premier parking
    Who are they? I thought your PPC was Premier Park. Details are important here.

the forum advice is to appeal if you want, but to not really bother as it doesn't get anywhere, and to not pay.
    No it's not. The BMPA advice is generally that for most PPCs. And it's one view, not a bad one at all as a general piece of advice. But the forum advice (here) is very clearly NOT that and you should have appealed. Never mind, now you have no choice but to sit tight.

There's also advice like this (i know this is nothing to do with money saving expert) that say to ignore all tickets and essentially parking companies never win in court. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUYzBcFLWMA
    Errm...how on earth did you dredge that up? It's from 2010, before all sorts of changes including a Supreme Court case (please don't look it up then link the Beavis case as if it's news) and the POFA 2012. Clearly that video is pointless now, seven years later.

But now I just have a bigger ticket
    No, you don't. It's £100 (yep, not £210). Or it's nothing, because you won't be paying it.

and my advice seems to be to prepare for a lengthy battle, which seems a shame.
    Not really, you saw how few court cases they start, compared with tickets issued, standing at around 60,000 per annum. You worked out the percentage that a mere thirty-six represents, like the BMPA wants you to? Infinitesimally small.

Tiny chance of a claim, and every change to win it if it happened, since we win 99% of defended cases here.

The reason I haven't taken it up with homebase is that i can't find any record at all of it - the payment must have been cash - so I fear that I'd just be admitting fault for no benefit.
    Some when you read the first link in the NEWBIES FAQS sticky thread, the click-through link to 'Successful complaints about PPCs' which is a current thread, still going for years and updated only this week with another successful retail complaint, what made you think they all had receipts?

They didn't.
    Last edited by Coupon-mad; 15-09-2017 at 10:37 PM.
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!

• dilby00
    • By dilby00 18th Sep 17, 8:53 AM
    • 120 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    dilby00
    Hi all - thanks for the replies. I'll be going through the info in more depth (just off to work) but one thing that is standing out is that a few have said the fine is not 210 but 100. Why is this? My latest letter from the debt collectors is 210.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 18th Sep 17, 2:10 PM
    • 49,944 Posts
    • 63,353 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    Because they make it up...and it's not a fine.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,871Posts Today

8,219Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin