Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • GlasweJen
    • By GlasweJen 10th Sep 17, 8:07 PM
    • 6,229Posts
    • 11,239Thanks
    GlasweJen
    Who is this letter from?
    • 10th Sep 17, 8:07 PM
    Who is this letter from? 10th Sep 17 at 8:07 PM
    See if anyone else can work this out. I received a letter which contained the following:

On page 1 the logo on all DWP correspondence
    On page 2 the logo of a company called "independent medical services"
    A booklet telling me "ATOS healthcare are now independent medical
    services"
    The body of the letter tells me my assessment will be carried out by Salus on Argyle street.

So is the letter from the DWP, ATOS, IMS or Salus?

Answers on a post card
    Bounts, Quidco, Shop and Scan, Receipt Hog, Costco Cashback, Debit card cashback

NOT BUYING IT
    (unless it's on offer and can get my loyalty points)
Page 1
    • IAmWales
    • By IAmWales 10th Sep 17, 8:30 PM
    • 1,232 Posts
    • 2,607 Thanks
    IAmWales
    • 10th Sep 17, 8:30 PM
    • 10th Sep 17, 8:30 PM
    ATOS are contracting out assessments, Corpore and Medacs are two of the companies they use.

So the company contracted by the DWP are contracting out work to other companies, and those companies then contract healthcare professionals to do the work. Ridiculous, and certainly not cost effective.
    • By 45002 10th Sep 17, 8:49 PM
    • 383 Posts
    • 324 Thanks
    • 10th Sep 17, 8:49 PM
    • 10th Sep 17, 8:49 PM
    See if anyone else can work this out. I received a letter which contained the following:

On page 1 the logo on all DWP correspondence
    On page 2 the logo of a company called "independent medical services"
    A booklet telling me "ATOS healthcare are now independent medical
    services"
    The body of the letter tells me my assessment will be carried out by Salus on Argyle street.

So is the letter from the DWP, ATOS, IMS or Salus?

Answers on a post card
    by GlasweJen
    http://www.salus.co.uk/Pages/default.aspx

MSE is supposed to be about saving people money, Yet when you place a url in your signature to a mobile phone provider, one of the cheapest and best run in the UK.

What does MSE do delete the url to the mobile phone provider, they don't want you to save money !
    • GlasweJen
    • By GlasweJen 10th Sep 17, 9:21 PM
    • 6,229 Posts
    • 11,239 Thanks
    GlasweJen
    • 10th Sep 17, 9:21 PM
    • 10th Sep 17, 9:21 PM
    Oh I know who Salus are, "a subsidiary of nhs Lanarkshire". I had the dubious pleasure of having an"medical assessment" with one of their nurses last year, his basic training needed refreshed to say the least.

My last letter was just from Salus direct, not the DWP, ATOS known as independent medical services and Salus all rolled into one.

Their nice booklet about how they will listen to me and treat me with dignity has pride of the place on top of mother in laws wood pile, I'm not expecting this appointment to go any better than the last excuse for an appointment I had there.
    Bounts, Quidco, Shop and Scan, Receipt Hog, Costco Cashback, Debit card cashback

NOT BUYING IT
    • GlasweJen
    • By GlasweJen 10th Sep 17, 9:22 PM
    • 6,229 Posts
    • 11,239 Thanks
    GlasweJen
    • 10th Sep 17, 9:22 PM
    • 10th Sep 17, 9:22 PM
    ATOS are contracting out assessments, Corpore and Medacs are two of the companies they use.

So the company contracted by the DWP are contracting out work to other companies, and those companies then contract healthcare professionals to do the work. Ridiculous, and certainly not cost effective.
    Originally posted by IAmWales
    Sounds like an excellent and efficient use of tax payers money.

NOT BUYING IT
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 11th Sep 17, 8:02 AM
    • 3,874 Posts
    • 3,943 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    • 11th Sep 17, 8:02 AM
    • 11th Sep 17, 8:02 AM
    Let's get this straight. A government department (DWP) has contracted out services to a private company (ATOS), who then contract another government department (NHS) to do the work. Anybody else managed to spot the potential area for cost saving? :-)
    • decbel
    • By decbel 11th Sep 17, 1:36 PM
    • 1,401 Posts
    • 1,496 Thanks
    decbel
    • 11th Sep 17, 1:36 PM
    • 11th Sep 17, 1:36 PM
    Let's get this straight. A government department (DWP) has contracted out services to a private company (ATOS), who then contract another government department (NHS) to do the work. Anybody else managed to spot the potential area for cost saving? :-)
    Originally posted by TELLIT01
    I certainly can't see any cost savings but I see the potential for screw ups and incompetence.

The DWP are bad enough let alone outsourced companies.
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 11th Sep 17, 3:08 PM
    • 3,874 Posts
    • 3,943 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    • 11th Sep 17, 3:08 PM
    • 11th Sep 17, 3:08 PM
    I certainly can't see any cost savings but I see the potential for screw ups and incompetence.

The DWP are bad enough let alone outsourced companies.
    Originally posted by decbel
    Surely if DWP referred direct to NHS rather than paying ATOS to do it there should be a cost saving. After all ATOS aren't doing the job for love, they're doing it for a fat profit.
    If in reality the NHS is charging ATOS less per referral than they would charge DWP there is something seriously wrong with the system.
    • Housing Benefit Officer
    • By Housing Benefit Officer 12th Sep 17, 6:01 PM
    • 2,356 Posts
    • 4,199 Thanks
    Housing Benefit Officer
    • 12th Sep 17, 6:01 PM
    • 12th Sep 17, 6:01 PM
    A certain Local Authority contracted out most of their Highway Maintenance to a private company - this company sub contracted some of the work out to another company - this company then sub contracted back Highway Department of the Local Authority. This went on for years before anyone was aware.
    These are my own views and you should seek advice from your local Benefits Department or CAB.
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 12th Sep 17, 6:25 PM
    • 3,874 Posts
    • 3,943 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    A certain Local Authority contracted out most of their Highway Maintenance to a private company - this company sub contracted some of the work out to another company - this company then sub contracted back Highway Department of the Local Authority. This went on for years before anyone was aware.
    Originally posted by Housing Benefit Officer
    I really do wish I could say I was surprised by that. Sadly nothing stupid which emanates from any level of government surprises me any more.
    Before I started working for DWP I thought the stories of stupidity and waste must be exaggerated, unfortunately I discovered all too soon that the stories that make the public domain ain't the half of it.
    • Housing Benefit Officer
    • By Housing Benefit Officer 12th Sep 17, 6:43 PM
    • 2,356 Posts
    • 4,199 Thanks
    Housing Benefit Officer
    I really do wish I could say I was surprised by that. Sadly nothing stupid which emanates from any level of government surprises me any more.
    Before I started working for DWP I thought the stories of stupidity and waste must be exaggerated, unfortunately I discovered all too soon that the stories that make the public domain ain't the half of it.
    We once had a team of contractors shut a road for laying new drains with full Traffic Management - 8 people on site (6 contractors and 2 traffic management). 8 days later nothing had happened. Nobody had ordered any cutting equipment, diggers or dumpers. This job had been delayed a week because the same thing had happened on their previous job. They arrived at 7, started work about 8.30, took an hours break from 10 to 11 and then extended lunch from 1 to 2 or 3 and then went home. They were working outside a councillors home who logged how much they actually worked and took photos of them playing cards etc. A 6 week job could have been completed within 4 or 5 days if they had worked the hours they were paid to work. This is normal for highway jobs apparently!
    These are my own views and you should seek advice from your local Benefits Department or CAB.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,953Posts Today

6,287Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin