Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Smb3088
    • By Smb3088 10th Sep 17, 8:06 PM
    • 193Posts
    • 22Thanks
    Smb3088
    Life of an iPad?
    • 10th Sep 17, 8:06 PM
    Life of an iPad? 10th Sep 17 at 8:06 PM
    I have an iPad 2 64gb that is unscathed. Immaculate cosmetic condition. It's fully functional with no issues , the battery even lasts 3 days for me with a lot of use. I haven't thought of changing it but Now I have fibre broadband I haven't noticed a speed increase, I thought maybe it's my iPad that's the slow source and I'm wondering if I upgrade my iPad the internet speed will improve? i have had my iPad for 5 years. Would an upgrade be worth it, do iPads slow with age?
    I don't have many apps at all and store minimally.
Page 1
    • Neil Jones
    • By Neil Jones 10th Sep 17, 8:47 PM
    • 733 Posts
    • 393 Thanks
    Neil Jones
    • 10th Sep 17, 8:47 PM
    • 10th Sep 17, 8:47 PM
    Probably not so much the iPad slows, though they do date from 2011, its more the apps get bigger and have to do more and the older units eventually just can't cope.

You may not notice a great speed increase on the internet if the difference between what you were getting on ADSL and what you get now on Fibre is close. If you had, say over 8Mbps on ADSL then for the most part you won't notice much of a speed difference on Fibre than you would have if you were on, say, 1Mb ADSL before.
    • esuhl
    • By esuhl 10th Sep 17, 9:48 PM
    • 7,536 Posts
    • 5,330 Thanks
    esuhl
    • 10th Sep 17, 9:48 PM
    • 10th Sep 17, 9:48 PM
    The first thing I'd be looking at is the wi-fi signal.

Do you have good signal strength? Are your neighbours using the same wireless channels as you?

I don't know anything about iThings, but a quick google brought up these useful-sounding apps:

https://boundless.aerohive.com/technology/Top-Ten-iOS-Apps-for-IT-Professionals.html

There are apps to check your network speed, and to check for other wifi networks that may be causing interference, (especially if they're on the same channel), etc.

---------------------------------------------------------

Would performing a factory reset help speed up your device? It would wipe everything and leave you with a "fresh, clean" phone... but I don't know enough about how they work to know whether this would restore your phone's original performance (like, say, reinstalling Windows on a PC might).
    • I have spoken
    • By I have spoken 11th Sep 17, 7:18 AM
    • 4,963 Posts
    • 9,656 Thanks
    I have spoken
    • 11th Sep 17, 7:18 AM
    • 11th Sep 17, 7:18 AM
    Install the Speedtest app to check the connection.

TBH on an iPad of that age, I wouldn't expect web surfing to speed up as the CPU is the limiting factor.
    • RG2015
    • By RG2015 11th Sep 17, 8:10 AM
    • 303 Posts
    • 107 Thanks
    RG2015
    • 11th Sep 17, 8:10 AM
    • 11th Sep 17, 8:10 AM
    My old 2010 iPad 1, 16GB running iOS 5.1.1 does appear to be limited compared to my 2015 iPad Air 2, 16GB running iOS 10.3.3.

Just now my speed test gave me 35 Mbps on the Air 2 but only 26Mbps on the old iPad. Before I got my Air 2 the old iPad was consistently 10 Mbps lower than my laptop.

So my experience is that my old iPad does have some sort of limitation on internet speed.

Edit: It does appear that the limiting factor is the processor as the increase is from 1GHz, 256 MB RAM to 1.5GHz, 2 GB RAM.
    Last edited by RG2015; 11-09-2017 at 8:29 AM.
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 11th Sep 17, 9:36 AM
    • 2,913 Posts
    • 4,632 Thanks
    another casualty
    • 11th Sep 17, 9:36 AM
    • 11th Sep 17, 9:36 AM
    I've got an iPad 2 since 2011 .
    I found it getting slower and slower while browsing the internet.
    A few months ago , I got an iPad mini 4 and everything moves like it should . My iPad 2 has slowed with age also
    • justaquestion
    • By justaquestion 11th Sep 17, 1:41 PM
    • 418 Posts
    • 85 Thanks
    justaquestion
    • 11th Sep 17, 1:41 PM
    • 11th Sep 17, 1:41 PM
    Is it generally better then to not upgrade the OS on a tablet either apple or android if everything is going well?
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 11th Sep 17, 1:52 PM
    • 29,968 Posts
    • 18,978 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 11th Sep 17, 1:52 PM
    • 11th Sep 17, 1:52 PM
    Is it generally better then to not upgrade the OS on a tablet either apple or android if everything is going well?
    Originally posted by justaquestion
    Depends if other users have reported an update has bricked the iPad/tablet making it unuseable.

If it works fine then maybe don't update it.
    Can people stop loaning money/being a guarator to family/friends, it rarely ends well and you lose out as your money is gone or you get shafted with being a guarantor.
    • Smb3088
    • By Smb3088 11th Sep 17, 6:20 PM
    • 193 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    Smb3088
    • 11th Sep 17, 6:20 PM
    • 11th Sep 17, 6:20 PM
    It works ok, but sometimes freezes for a bit on the Internet , then wakes up. I'm not in the best area for wifi and it's seen with other neighbours too the slow speeds. My speed test said 7mbs upload. And download speed 36mbps. I know as laptops age they slow down and didn't know if iPads have a lifespan before things start to slow, despite them being kept well. My op system is always upgraded when available
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 11th Sep 17, 6:40 PM
    • 9,611 Posts
    • 3,930 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    download speed 36mbps

More than adequate .

If it was an Android that had slowed down i would be factory resetting and wiping all the junk . Presume you can do the same on Apple ??
    • Muscle750
    • By Muscle750 11th Sep 17, 7:52 PM
    • 876 Posts
    • 267 Thanks
    Muscle750
    How mine hasnt got launched out the window i dont know when trying to type a search for example the it takes forever to actually see the letters displayed ive tried everything i think its had its day................bunk end of
    • daveyjp
    • By daveyjp 11th Sep 17, 7:54 PM
    • 7,049 Posts
    • 5,445 Thanks
    daveyjp
    Ipad 2 is an old generation processor, software is written for the current processor.

No surprise older technology doesn't run new software as efficiently if at all.
    • Robisere
    • By Robisere 11th Sep 17, 8:08 PM
    • 1,736 Posts
    • 2,534 Thanks
    Robisere
    We live in a rural area with no mobile coverage at all, so WiFi is important to us. We have 2 Wileyfox phones, a laptop, a Hudl, a fairly new Lenovo 8" tablet and the desktop I am using to type this.

All of those except the desktop, use WiFi and it is interesting how speeds vary between devices. Our FTTC router download is around 10.5 Mbps. The most powerful phone has 72 Mbps, the other phone and Lenovo 65Mbps, laptop 72 Mbps. The big surprise is that the older, supposedly simpler Hudl gets 115 Mbps when close to the Sky Hub, never less than 72 anywhere else in the house, or close by. The desktop has a powerful wireless card fitted for a 'failsafe' and will reach almost 300Mbps. Over a 20 metre Ethernet cable, it gets Gigabit.

I fully expected the phones to have good speeds, but the Hudl still surprises me, so I use it now to download Kindle books and other stuff, as it does this much quicker than the Lenovo. Especially as I rebuilt the Hudl from 3 donor machines. I have located and bought another: Tesco made a very good product with the Hudl IMO. The ones that survived, will be the ones that last.
    There may be more than one way to skin a cat.
    But the result is always inedible.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

175Posts Today

1,342Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin